2019 New Japan Cup discussion thread

I understanding strapping the rocket to Jay White as the Omega-replacement but the guy I expect to have the best bouts now is Osprey

Juice and Nakanishi being eliminated ruined some of my bracket, but Iā€™ve got every other pick correct so far (where applicable) so Iā€™m still in the first half of the leader board.

My bracket ends in Okada beating Suzuki in the finals. I donā€™t think theyā€™re going to rush the big Ibushi push just yet so Iā€™ve got him losing to Suzuki in the semis.

Would they run back Ibushi and Osprey at the Garden. I think weā€™re getting Chase vs Juice which Iā€™m not in love with but Chase has seemed to turn a new page post Elite departure

Wow! Phenomenal match between Ibushi and ZSJ, There goes my bracket with Kota

2 Likes

I have a new top match of the year and it was todayā€™s main with Sabre Jr and Ibushi

That was an incredible pure and fierce wrestling match

2 Likes

Well, there goes my bracket. Welp Welpā€¦

When it comes to the undercard and getting Chase Owens over as a respectable opponent for Juice, NJPW does a great job of forcing you to take them seriously like Taichi with Naito last month.

1 Like

Ibushi Eyes the IC Title

Not every match is going to be Okada/Omega. That Cabana/Yano match was fun

1 Like

Agree! Was looking forward to and enjoyed that match. I donā€™t understand why they keep beating Suzuki. Heā€™s as over as anyone in the states and is a big drawing card for them here yet they keep beating him in every relevant spot. I can promise you MSG will be ready to Kaze Ni Nare

I donā€™t get the love for Sanada. I think heā€™s massively overrated. Suzuki definitely should have gone over.

2 Likes

I agree. Sanada is fine and jumps high. Thatā€™s about all I see.

1 Like

Liked him better before he grew that disgusting beard.

1 Like

Would I be going too far in saying Okada vs Ishii is the best match so far in new japan this year? I feel itā€™s definitely up there awesome match.

So uhhā€¦ THAT may be my match of the year atm. At least for NJPW

1 Like

Okada is incredible

2 Likes

Still have the finals to go but spoiled it for myself on Instagram by mistake. Watched the Semis today at the gym and I walked for over an hour and a half in true awe. If the final is anything like the final four then good god. Best NJ Cup in years.

Two big things jumped out at me watching the Semi:
They constantly book Sanada as a massive star in his home town and it translates and makes me care a lot about Sanada, someone I otherwise enjoy some of his matches but donā€™t see the big appeal. In the Semi with a crowd behind him against a star I really saw something in him.
The commentary for New Japan is a plethora of riches. Kevin Kelly is superb. But with options like Rocky, Excalibur, Callis, Charlton. Itā€™s truly enjoyable to watch New Japan matches. Tournament matches feel so important, theirs history and physchology explained. Characters enhanced and protected.

Canā€™t wait to see the Final

1 Like