2023 Best matches every week

Every year at the end of the year we look back and forget a bunch of great matches. The purpose of this thread is to list your favorite matches every week. Then be able to determine your favorite match of the month, quarter and eventually year.

I’m going to try to remember to do this all year. If nobody else posts that’s fine. It’s kind of an experiment. So the first week is:

Sunday January 1st - Saturday January 7th

• NJPW Wrestle Kingdom night 1 - Kenny Omega vs Will Osprey for US Title
  • AEW Dynamite - The Acclaimed vs Jeff Jarrett & Jay Lethal for Tag Team Titles

What was everyone else’s favorite matches this week?

1 Like

I loved Darby vs. Joe very much on Dynamite.

1 Like

I’ll add Kaito Kiyomiya vs Kenoh for the GHC Heavyweight title from Noah’s The New Year, fantastic match

I’ll also add Okada vs White, and Catch 22 vs Yoh & Rush, both excellent

Sunday January 8th - Saturday January 14th

• AEW Dynamite - Elite vs Death Triangle ladder match for Trios Titles in the finals of the best of seven series.

• AEW Dynamite - Hangman Page vs Jon Moxley in Page’s first match back since a concussion in October.

Nothing really notable in WWE this week. Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn could have been listed but ended in a DQ. Which was fine for a TV match and did do a good job of continuing the story of the Bloodline vs Owens and the mind games being played with Sami because he had been told they weren’t there.

AEW Dynamte on January 11th - Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita - all out slobberknocker of a match.

3 Likes

Impacts Hard to Kill:

Eddie Edwards vs Jonathan Gresham
Jordynne Grace vs Mickie James

Dragongate:

Z Brats vs High End (Unit must disband match)

1 Like

Catching up:

Week 1 - Swerve vs AR Fox (Dynamite)

Week 2 - Mickie James vs Jordynne Grace (Hard to Kill)

2 Likes

Dynamite: Danielson vs Bandido. Jeez, Bryan just keeps killing it every week.

2 Likes

Sunday January 15th - Saturday January 21st

A good week for TV tag team matches.

• AEW Dynamite - Young Bucks vs Top Flight
  • WWE SmackDown - Sheamus & McIntyre vs Viking Raiders

Week 3: Danielson vs Bandido

1 Like

For me I’ll add Kenny King vs Speedballs Fight pit from Impact, and cheating a little as it was technically last week, but I watched it this week, Dragongate Open the Dream Gate title match between Yuki Yoshioka vs Shun Skywalker. Great matches!

1 Like

I loved the Usos vs Judgement Day match on Raw XXX. Normally I don’t bite on Uso’s matches, but with the Sami storyline, once he came into the match my disbelief was suspended as it would have made sense to have Sami blow the title reign leading his ousting from the bloodline. I was into every near fall.

I also loved the Lethal vs Briscoe match. No reason needed for explanation here, while the match above was all story, this was all real life emotion. Great match, and kudos to Bricoe for pulling off such a feat just days after a life altering tragedy.

2 Likes

Usos Vs Judgement day to me so far is the match of the year. I had so much fun with that match

2 Likes

I would agree with this. This is a perfect example of how cool moves definitely matter and can 100% enhance a match, an awesome story is what takes a match to the next level.

2 Likes

Sunday January 22nd - Saturday January 28th

A good week for WWE

• Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens at the Royal Rumble and the post-match beat down
  • Men’s Royal Rumble match
  • Raw - The Uso’s vs Judgement Day

Most emotional match of the week/month/year:

• AEW Dynamite - Mark Brisco vs Jay Lethal

Hopefully we don’t have to see any other matches after any other similar tragedies in 2023. This match was in a category all by itself.

3 Likes

Week four: Men’s Royal Rumble

1 Like

Tyler Bate vs Axiom shut it down last night.

Week five: Samoa Joe vs Darby Allin from Dynamite

So close honourable mention: Wes Lee vs Dijak NXT Vengeance Day - incredible opener that felt like an old Takeover match. If there’s no pointless Tony D interference it’s my match of the week. Still outstanding though

1 Like

Don’t really watch NXT anymore, but I just happened to put the network on for the opener and Dijak/Lee absolutely killed it. Great match.

2 Likes