5 things WWE does right

This is more like Russia. And she’s never on TV anyway.

So what countries count?

I was just trolling, dude, whatever. :grin:

1 Like

I know, I was just playing along. All good :joy:

1 Like

I love the bit where Mickey Cole screams “ITS BOSS TIME”

This makes zero sense

3 Likes

I don’t know where you got that I said there aren’t any competent POC. I’m saying that given the choice, I’ll go with the POC every time, no matter their competency level over a fully qualified highly skilled white person. WWE feels the same way which is why Byron Saxton and Booker T held that job while Tony Schivone sat at home doing podcasts.

I think what you meant there was “younger,” especially when you’re referring to Byron Saxton, since that’s as much of a focus as anything else.

Schiavone is a good straw man, but was also out of the game for most of 15 years, so it’s a good bit in hindsight, but who would have known he’d become the best part of an announcer group in the year 2020? Anyway, probably more thought than necessary in response to some sarcasm.

I know he’s not been in the job long, but this new guy on Raw is not good

My top 5 would be:

1 - Roman Reigns - the biggest star in wrestling by a mile. His promos are currently great, his character is brilliant, his manager is brilliant. Keep going

2 - women’s division. The gap isn’t closing. It’s a huge chasm between them and the rest. Shayna Baszler would be comfortably the biggest star anywhere else and she’s not in WWEs top 5

3 - PPVs - can’t remember the last bad one I watched. Consistently good

4 - documentaries - they’ve put out some brilliant stuff over the last few years. Great to watch.

5 - WWE network - quality product and terrific value for money. Generally easy to use, loaded with stuff

1 Like

So why wouldn’t you just choose a POC who is good?
Why is that not an option?

I agree that their women’s division overall is the best but Shayna wouldn’t be the top woman in every other promotion. She has so so promo-ability and average in ring skills. She plays her role well but she benefitted greatly from being paired with great talent in her NXT run and her main roster run has been garbage thus far (not her fault). I would argue that Shayna isn’t even in the Top 10 in WWE right now though. As I said if WWE combined their main roster women (or all of them) their division would be truly great. As is their main roster is underwhelming because it has been poorly booked.

Definitely this. Since 2004 or so, when they got focused on the DVD game, they have been very consistent.

From “The Rise and Fall of ECW” on, they’re production has been by and large, untouchable by most competitors.
While often revisionist in it’s telling if certain stories, their production is second to none.

Agreed. Though the revisionist history seems to be more so connected to the projects that don’t really matter (ie the ruthless aggression series or Monday night wars), though when it’s on a performer (ie. the Bret hart anthology) they are usually pretty good with keeping it truthful.

1 Like

Schiavonne would never have worked in 2021 WWE anyway. What makes him so good are the relatable mark-out moments where he gets nostalgic or has to ask what the names of the moves are because he simply hadn’t been paying any attention. This is the type of endearing commentary that WWE cannot stomach.

Shayna was a great character but I agree I don’t think she is a top ten female wrestler.

No one in North America is going to top Asuka, Io and Sasha Banks. Top three I would say fairly clearly. Right below them is Charlotte, Bayley and Becky and maybe a couple of AEW wrestlers but it’s a stretch. But the top of are all WWE.

WWE docs are great in general if you can stomach the revisionist history and WWE slant. The Steve Austin interview stuff (which is more Steve and less WWE for sure) is top notch

1 Like

I think you’re just trying to argue for the sake of arguing, but I’ll go ahead and entertain one more, but I’m getting bored.

If a “good” (I don’t know what you’re implying here) POC presented themselves then of course they would get the job before any equally or more qualified white person. I would give the job to ANY POC before a well qualified white person for the sake of diversity. I think the audience feels the same way. Gender equality and diversity are the most important things to consider when selling a product, Quality takes a back seat when it comes to progressive corporate values. WWE has done an excellent job adhering to those values.

1 Like

FWIW…most documentaries in existence have a slant. We just don’t usually know the people behind those as well. I hope that doesn’t stop people from watching them (and being just as critical about what they’re watching as we do for these).

On the WWE front though - They’ve done some really unique ones over time that I’ve really loved. I think we all remember the Liv Morgan one, Ambrose, etc. One I think that I think was missed because it came after NXT Takeover New York was the Charlotte one, which was interesting as the best case scenario of what the melding between trying to tell a kayfabe story (on the way to WM XXXV) and dealing with how real life has shaped what was going on with the performer at the time (Charlotte dealing with the after-effects of Reid’s death). There’s also the Nigel one, which is unique in that it covers someone within WWE with barely any WWE history. I’d recommend those for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

1 Like

I’m really not arguing for the sake of arguing, I think you are either trolling (if so touché, its working) or I think you are completely out of touch with the audience.

Someone who is good at their job, so in this instance someone who is a good commentator.

I dont think there is a single person on this board who would actually agree with this. Based on this logic, you are saying that a mediocre POC (lets say Byron Saxton) would be preferred by the audience over a person who is white who is great at what they do (ie. lets say Tony Schiavone). I would bet anything that the majority fans on this board, if not all, would not want to see AEW replace Tony with Byron.

This I 100% agree with you on! Where we differ, is I think its a silly thing to say:

If you want to have a diverse announce team, why not give the job to POC who is a great commentator? Even bringing up the idea of giving the job to a person who is not competent is rather redundant. The only way I would agree with this is if there were no quality choices who were POC which is not true, there are plenty of POC out there IMO that would be awesome at being a commentator.

Made a quick correction for you. :grinning:

1 Like