AEW bringing five Collision shows to Arlington, Texas; ROH Death Before Dishonor set for July 26th

Originally published at AEW bringing five Collision shows to Arlington, Texas; ROH Death Before Dishonor set for July 26th

A series of AEW shows coming to Arlington, Texas. 

All Elite Wrestling and the city of Arlington, Texas unveiled their partnership that will see six AEW/ROH events emanate from the Esports Stadium in Arlington, Texas. 

From July 20th through August 17th, there will be five Collision episodes taking place at the venue and the ROH Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view is emanating from the venue as well. The partnership is titled ‘Path to All In.’ 

• July 20th: Collision
  • July 26th: ROH Death Before Dishonor
  • July 27th: Collision
  • August 1st: Collision
  • August 10th: Collision
  • August 17th: Collision

AEW All In 2024 is scheduled for August 25th.

I appreciate that AEW is willing to try and do something different. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

But I live in North Texas and no way am I going to shows five weeks in a row. Especially at the Arlington “esports” arena which will just be a convention center room with a ring in it. Maybe they can fit 500 people.

I’ll go to one of the shows. Maybe two. But even in a big metro area like DFW I don’t think the demand is there for five weeks of shows.

3 Likes

I think it’ll be an interesting experiment. The wording of the press release feels like they’re getting paid to run there. The venue holds 2500. I’m sure it’ll look good and feel different on TV.

Could be a fun way to distinguish Collision throughout the summer.

It can fit 2500 seats on the floor all facing a small stage where people are playing video games shown on big screen.

If they have to put any kind of stage, ring, bleachers in the room I’m just worried it’s going to look like NXT 2.0 in the CWC.

But we will see. Like I said I’ll probably go to one of the shows regardless.

1 Like

To me it feels like a way to save a little money on touring because I don’t think Collision is being renewed in September.

Like why did they book the freaking Moda Center (20,000) to sell like 3,000 tickets for Collision tonight. What a stupid company

1 Like

I do think it’s a cost-cutting measure, but I also think they’ll do something interesting with it (and hopefully not a tournament).

Even they have to realize they’re trying to get the same audience to spend a lot of money on a lot of B shows.

1 Like

Any amount spent from booking larger and more modern arenas, isn’t probably all that different from costs they’d incur with smaller venues, for needing different technical equipment.

Many smaller venues don’t have the same built in technical specs that newer ones do.

Also, major arenas are always looking for things to fill their dates aside from the hometown sports team.

It’s not like anybody is criticizing other touring brands for “only selling” 3000 tickets. Disney On Ice is on the road nightly, nobody is going to say they’re a failure of they only have a couple thousand in an NHL sized arena.

Disney on Ice isn’t broadcast on National TV weekly as “destination viewing.”

Take away your cost and tech - which as aside are not features of Calgary’s Saddledome, yet AEW is running it for a second time during Stampede (a brilliant move if you ask me) - people DO make comments about empty buildings/grandstands and sports, the difference being not touring.

Running Major League Arenas does not equal Major League Perception or a major league presentation on TV. I will say this again and again: I don’t care what Dave says, I don’t care what WWE does l, I don’t care what AEW books, but vibes matter. You have to create the impression that you are destination, must-see viewing. Enormous empty buildings with 3,000 wrestling fans in it isn’t creating that vibe.

I went to Collision and, while great, the entire second level was curtained off and the suites were mostly empty. The crowd was on fire because that was an AEW wrestling-starved audience and overcame a - for all intents and purposes- over-half-empty arena. But I couldn’t help but look up and remember when wrestling used to fill the upper bowl.

3,000 people in an empty building - taking away your costs and “tech advantages” of new buildings - does nothing to change the perception of your product; the exact thing AEW needs the most to grow.

Again, were talking growing the company to make money. Maybe running a small building like this can create a mini-territory, which you can then tour that “mini-territory” to a place for six weeks.

Its something to try and I like they’re doing it, instead of running empty, enormous buildings, which most of my live wrestling experiences have been in enormous, almost empty buildings, and spoiler, wrestling is not as good in empty, enormous buildings.

If you want your big TV money, you need to be destination viewing and bring the people to it. Empty, major-league buildings aren’t helping things seem “destination viewing” regardless of what’s booked on the show.

3 Likes

Disney On Ice isn’t going to these big arenas. And they also aren’t paying Mickey Mouse $5 million a year to perform. Silly comparison.

Theyre literally running most of the same venues AEW has run over the last few months.

And while talent cost is different, they have an enormous touring cast, and crew. And they run multiple shows per stop.

I’m not sure what comparison would be better.

Aside from professional wrestling events of course - which AEW outdraws 99% of other companies in North America.

AEW ran different arenas in Vancouver and Edmonton. And again Disney is paying the performers far less and not paying for TV set up and production.

The mid-size arenas are fine but running Rogers 1/3 and Moda Center 1/4 is ridiculous.

A better comparison would be PBR. They have their big shows, but most of the time run smaller venues. AEW should be following that model and not trying to be like WWE.

2 Likes

One Mickey Mouse business operation deserves another

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you. I was only saying why they likely run the “A” venue in towns.

They just hired somebody from PBR to head up their marketing, so who knows where plans go.

1 Like

In AEW and MarkP’s defense this is a case where AEW can’t win. I criticized AEW for running a small venue that will feel too small. But when AEW runs larger venues they also get criticized.

There may be the perfect mid-size venue for AEW in each major city. But then it has to also line up perfectly with the touring schedule and a dozen other logistical factors. There are going to be times when it doesn’t work out and they have to be in smaller or bigger places. At the end of the day its not a huge issue.

AEW is going to get a bit bigger or a bit smaller based on people’s desire to see the wrestlers and storylines. They have a great roster and some of the creative is really working. But I think they are really missing MJF right now to drive an increased level of engagement which then leads to bigger crowds.

4 Likes

I disagree. It hurts the live experience. A new fan will not want to sit in a 2/3 empty building. It’s just not that fun.

That’s why they hire people to do that. It’s not just Tony throwing darts at a map (although it feels like that). But those people have done a bad job