AEW Championship match announced for Double or Nothing

Originally published at AEW Championship match announced for Double or Nothing

The AEW Championship match for the Double or Nothing pay-per-view in Las Vegas is official.

During Wednesday’s edition of Dynamite, it was announced that Hangman Page will defend the championship against CM Punk on Sunday, May 29th at the T-Mobile Arena on pay-per-view.

Page was not in attendance for the show after noting earlier in the day that he was dealing with COVID-19.

Instead, CM Punk cut a promo promising that Page will know he’s been in a fight at Double or Nothing and that everything has been a warm-up until now for this championship match.

There will be a guaranteed FIGHT at #AEWDoN between #AEW World Champion #Hangman @theadampage and @CMPunk for the #AEW World Title in Las Vegas! pic.twitter.com/mFIO6KdM6F

— All Elite Wrestling (@AEW) April 28, 2022

They’ve obviously been building up to Hangman vs Punk over the past few weeks. But I guess I’m still surprised it will main event a PPV and not just an episode of Dynamite.

Historically face vs face matches just never seem to get much of a reaction from crowds. And with it being the main-event to what will most likely be an incredible card they may end up with a worn out crowd and a tough position to be in.

I guess we will see if they start to hint at a heel turn for one of them over the next couple of weeks.

It’s the biggest match they can do for Hangman. I assume CM Punk loses and they milk it for another stip match or something until he finally wins. Might make sense for Page to turn heelish during match and retain title by heeling to drip stip rematch.

Probably makes sense to have him be champ to run through big matches with Bryan, Mox, Eddie, MFJ, etc until they get to Omega.