AEW Collision takes another fall, major loss in 18-34 demo

Originally published at AEW Collision takes another fall, major loss in 18-34 demo

The third episode of AEW Collision fell to its lowest mark with similar figures to last week’s Rampage episode.

The July 1 taped episode from Hamilton averaged 452,000 viewers and 172,000 (0.13) in the 18-49 demographic, per Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics.

The numbers were very similar to Rampage from the night prior which averaged 450,000 viewers and 171,000 (0.13) in the key demo.

Overall viewership dropped 24% and the 18-49 audience fell by 37% from the week two numbers.

In the 18-49 demo, males declined by 39% and females were down by 33%.

The audience that took a stunning fall was adults 18-34, which was down 59% in week three. In the male 18-34 demo, the audience fell from an average of 61,000 on June 24 to 11,000 for the July 1 episode, or 82%. Females in the 18-34 demo saw a less drastic decline of 13% from week two.

Adults 35-49 were down by 26% with a male drop of 11% and 44% among women in the demo.

The show aired on a four-hour tape delay in Canada on TSN 2 and averaged approximately 5,000 viewers and 3,000 in the 25-54 demographic. Rampage aired on TSN 2 on Friday night and averaged approximately 40,000 viewers and 10,000 in the 25-54 demo.

The third episode of Collision included three matches in the Owen Hart Cup and was headlined by a tournament match between Samoa Joe and Roderick Strong featuring CM Punk on commentary.

The show will be live this Saturday from Regina, Saskatchewan with a marquee match between CM Punk and Samoa Joe in their first singles match since December 2004.

I don’t think they are aiming at having another Rampage with this show.

This is what I figured would happen, nobody wants to watch wrestling live regularly on Saturday night. A PPV from time to time, sure, but I don’t understand how people expect this show to do better than Rampage. Not blaming the show quality, just a shitty time slot.

1 Like

Saturday nights suck man.

1 Like

Yes I agree that airing live wrestling, let alone most live sports/tv content is hard to do on a Saturday Night, but has AEW done anything to tell it’s viewers to watch this show and why they should (i.e: On Dynamite for example)?

1 Like

I’m not the best to ask as I fast forward through all the ads lol. Fair point though.

I am OK making the assumption that the financials all work out and both TNT and AEW will do fine in that regard. Both sides have people much smarter than me to figure that out before they sign any deals. I just can’t wrap my head around the idea that a promotion will be able to run an “A show” that has its weekly TV on Saturday nights. Will believe it if/when I see it.

And if it becomes another “B show” over time, then good on them for getting paid to move Dark and Elevation to TNT, I guess?

Is there much reporting on the Catch up numbers. I’m not in the US so I don’t count but I watch AEW nearly a week late just coz I’m always playing catch up. I haven’t sat down and watched a live show other then football in ages.

I just wonder if most people catch up Sunday evening, Monday afternoon…is that a bad thing? Is catch up watching not worth as much as live. In the UK you can’t skip adverts watching on catch up so don’t get why it would make a huge difference

I can’t speak for the US, but here in Canada I have Tivo which allows me to fast forward through all the commercials which I assume is the same in the US. If so, its not worth as much as a live viewing.

ITVs a bugger in the UK. If you even log off to check something and come back it makes you watch 3 mins of adverts.

I would rather hear the ratings a week later including all other ways then standard terrestrial. Still think AEW would be miles away from WWE but it would be more interesting to me to hear the true ratings from all providers

1 Like

Agreed, but that’s the funny thing about all wrestling ratings talk. What most fans actually want to know is “how many people watch the show?”. I know that’s the number that I would most like to see.

But networks and advertisers don’t really care about that in the grand scheme. It’s all about demographics and live (i.e. “not fast-forwarding”) viewers. And to me, there is nothing more tiresome than fans who get in a tizzy about stuff about demo numbers and gate figures. I read them because they’re interesting, and I want those numbers to be high in the sense that I want wrestling to do well so it stays on my TV. But celebrating a million dollar gate like a penny of that is going into your pocket, or gloating about who had more 18-49 year-old viewers (because when you turn 50, your money stops working?) is the epitome of tribalism bullshit.

1 Like

They do have adjusted numbers that factors that in. If you go to Nielsen Ratings, it says:

We also measure when audiences are watching – whether it’s live, a recorded program via DVR , or video on demand – delivering accurate person-level measurement across all platforms and devices.

When it comes to advertisers though, they couldnt care less about this as what they care about is live views because then the viewer is forced to watch the commercials. As a fan though, if you are trying to accurately asses popularity of a show, I agree this is a better method.

Agreed, if anything its the exact opposite. The more a company is making with say a gate, the more they will charge the following time which will take more money out of your product.