AEW Dynamite 10.2.19 Live Thread (spoilers, not feedback)

I agree with @PodFatherSOH on this one. There is a lot of revisionist history in your post.

Luger was a main character for WWF and a huge shock for him to show up on Nitro.

Swagger has been out of WWE for years where he was best remembered as a mid-tier tag team partner. I haven’t followed his MMA career so to me it feels more like he’s disappeared for 2-3 years and now is supposed to be a huge surprise? I didn’t buy it.

But the audience bought into it. They were excited for any surprise and he now has an opportunity to completely reinvent himself in AEW as long as he hasn’t regressed in ring. The “Real American” vs “American Nightmare” could be a good side storyline to prolong the main Jericho vs Cody story.

2 Likes

As soon as Swagger ran out, my heart sank. As the crowd popped louder and louder for him, my heart sank further. I hope he’s fed to someone and packed off in a hurry, because nothing about him makes me want to watch. He’s got extremely shit socio-political opinions (it also makes AEW’s ‘woke’ stance come across as completely see-through) and he’s also extremely bang-average in the ring and not much else on the mic either.

I’m not saying that everyone on the roster has to be a left-wring progressive, but if you have bad opinions AND you’re also bad at the whole wrestling thing too, then you can fuck off. Great politics, shit wrestler? You’re okay in my book. Shit politics, great wrestler?(AJ Styles, for example) You’re okay. I can take one or the other, but not both.

As for the whole show, it was solid enough. I felt Cody/Sammy was a bit long, and wasn’t the hot start that the show needed, but it was good enough. MFJ shined but should’ve squashed Cutler in seconds. Riho/Rose was clunky but had it’s moments, very surprised with the finish and I like the seeds being planted for the tag.

The Smith/Mewes stuff was amateur hour and real cringe. Woeful. The SCU/Lucha Bros confrontation was much better. The main event and the related angles made for great viewing until Thwagger showed up. No idea why the ref didn’t call for the DQ when Ambrose interfered though.

Still, I’m satisfied with what show I chose to watch this morning (and what show got the ‘read recap on 411’ treatment). I’ll probably stick to AEW until Full Gear and see how the landscape lies then, as there’s no fucking way that I can watch both shows spoiler free every week.

Not a MAGA fan a take it? Pity you may hate the next 4 years too

Any ratings predictions? Does it break 3.0?

NO I don’t think it will. That would be the highest rated wrestling show this year, and with NXT head to head I don’t expect that many viewers to be available.

1 Like

If MAGA means being a racist, transphobic anti-vaxxer (which Jake ticks all three boxes for), you can kindly get off my TV screen.

2 Likes

[Insert Michael Jordan’s quote about sneakers here]

Why does this make their “woke” stance see-through? With all due respect, how “woke” can a company be if it decides only certain views can be tolerated. AEW is for Everyone and that includes all political, religious, gender, racial ethnicity, pretty much any way you can group people.

Hager is going to be a massive star to many parts of the country, he has visibility in Bellator and the fact he hasn’t flamed out of MMA like Punk is a credit to him as a legit performer, and he is a recognizable name that has been away form wrestling for a minute. He’s got the background to do more shoot style wrestling matches with some of the roster (Cody v Hager would be tremendous in this style).

As for the MAGA stuff…this is a wrestling show. Can we stop dragging political stuff into every form of entertainment. It’s kind of sick at this point that pop-culture and entertainment as an art form and medium must be viewed through the lenses of how somebody affiliates politically. He’s a contracted performer, and if he says and does things under contract to AEW that disqualifies him from being part of the roster or a public figure for AEW I’m sure it will be handled. But for now, just enjoy the wrestling product; want politics, CNN is running the best wrestling show in history right now called American Politics.

4 Likes

@ShaneSilver - I pretty sure more often than not, I agree with your political stances (between reading your posts, and interacting with you here and Zandigfans).

I do need to say though, the entire “Good wrestler” cancelling out “questionable politics” (or terrible person) stance is a weird take to have. If you’re going to write somebody off because you don’t like their personal choices, I think that making exceptions for their wrestling ability is pretty questionable.

Not trying to insult or put you down… But I think you either separate the art from the artist, or you don’t. Going 50/50 based on certain qualifiers seems odd.

1 Like

What has he said that makes him racist and transphobic? R-truth rapped for his entrance at Bellator, so I’d be surprised if he was racist.

2 Likes

I like @Tony response about R-Truth rapping him out at Bellator as I saw that and it was hilarious :rofl:

But I hope this doesn’t go down the rabbit hole of politics and social commentary. I mean, again, CNN is running a great angle where the President of the United States is the ultimate heel and being targeted by a faction called Democrats. It’s really great booking.

1 Like

Lots of people love MAGA

Do you hate Dana white? Tom Brady?

Almost 50 percent of the US population supports MAGA. You going to hate them too?

Stop it right now. Politics have nothing to do with this. They need to be inclusive and they are doing a great job appealing to everyone. MAGA is a large part of the wrestling fan base. Deal with it

1 Like

I thought the faction was called “THE SQUAD” :crazy_face:

None the less I agree that unless he is spouting politics on the show I don’t really care much about his personal politics.

1 Like

For those who do not get my MJ reference:

LOL, there were too many cheap pops here. I stayed away. Thank you for going there as I did laugh.

The only issue I have with the MAGA portion of the wrestling fanbase (I have issues with their politics but that is generally separate) is the amount of hate I’ve seen on every post involving Nyla Rose about her being transgender. If you look at the posts about Rhio winning there a ton of comments about how it is good they put the title on a woman, or Nyla being a man. While I’m happy Rhio won as she is the more experienced wrestler, the extreme negativity about someones gender is something I find distasteful.

2 Likes

It’s a shame anyone hates on anyone that is trying to entertain us. That said, if she was booked as a babyface, I wonder if that hate would be drowned out. It feels amplified because she plays a character that is suppose to be disliked/boo’d and viewed as a big bully.

I don’t think the online hate would be less as it isn’t as if she is being booked as a heel because she used to be a man. I mean the road to episode about her wasn’t particularly heelish. I’m fine with people not liking her character, or wanting her not to win (because she is green, or because she is a heel). I think it is dumb to want her not to win because she is transgender. Especially in wrestling where it literally doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

The commentary was incredible, miles better than anything we’ve had in WWE in years. JR, Tony and Excalibur made the show for me and they sounded like real people calling pro wrestling.

The wrestling was excellent. Cody and Sammy was way better than I thought it would be, they made Sammy into a star last night. The women’s match was sloppy at times, but got a huge reaction. And the main event was chaotic fun.

Crowd was awesome, the show never dragged and I loved it.

2 Likes

“Lots of people love MAGA” - not really. About a quarter of the US electorate are Trumpers, the rest are not.

“Do you hate Dana white?” - Dana is an ass.

The non-stop attacks on Nyla from the idiots are an indication that some of the wrestling fandom are still throwbacks. Like Jerry Lawler typecasting women (which is what Vince does anyway), most old folk are not going to change, or change easily.

1 Like

Yeah… Nothing has been more heartbreaking then to see the constant attacks on literally every Nyla related post on AEW’s social media posts.

I worry Sonny Kiss will have the same response from the same demographic of fans (although not the same as Nyla, I am sure many of those “fans” will paint him with the same brush.)

I still do hold out hope that AEW will bring a new and diverse crowd to mainstream wrestling - and not one that is filtered through the ideals and mind of an 74 year old, Republican, Billionaire.

1 Like

Well let’s not say anything crazy here

1 Like