AEW Dynamite drops in viewership and 18-49 demo, NXT edges out in 18-34

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/12/07/aew-dynamite-drops-in-viewership-and-18-49-demo-nxt-edges-out-in-18-34/

AEW Dynamite experienced a drop in its viewership with the most pronounced loss seen among the 18-34 demographic.

The December 6 episode from Montreal averaged 823,000 viewers and 328,000 (0.25) in the 18-49 demographic – decreases of 4 and 15% respectively from last week’s numbers. (Data: Wrestlenomics)

It was Dynamite’s lowest viewership since November 15 and lowest 18-49 audience since October 24.

In the 18-49 demographic, male viewership declined by 14% to 230,000 and females fell by 17% to 98,000.

Adults 18-34 saw the largest decline falling by 26% to 117,000 viewers, which was a two-week low for Dynamite. Females in the demo decreased by 42% to 33,000.

Tuesday’s episode of NXT beat AEW in the 18-34 demo with an average of 124,000 viewers in the demo compared to Dynamite’s 117,000. Dynamite topped NXT among males in the demo with 84,000 to 81,000 while NXT was higher with women at 43,000 compared to 33,000. Dynamite topped NXT in the other demographics for the week.

Dynamite’s audience among adults 35-49 fell by 7% to 211,000, although females in the demo increased by 7% and was the only category that improved over last week’s performance.

In Canada, Dynamite averaged 101,400 viewers and 38,800 in the 25-54 demographic on TSN 2, so the show didn’t have a spike due to it airing from Canada nor the main event between Canadians Christian Cage and Adam Copeland. Last week’s numbers were 102,000 and 47,300 in the demo.

Dynamite ranked tenth among sports programs in Canada on Wednesday with the programming led by the Carolina Hurricanes vs. Edmonton Oilers, Miami Heat vs. Toronto Raptors, and Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Tampa Bay Lightning.

Edge is not a draw or difference maker.

But also the Continental Classic is just not compelling TV. The matches are good but nothing out of the ordinary. And with less story.

The entire devil story is also just death at this point.

2 Likes

Copeland is probably a major asset backstage. Somebody with the experience level of Punk, without being a paranoid narcissist.

I don’t think anybody ever said he’d be a huge numbers mover… But he adds to the roster.

Also, I think the C2 has done a very good job of both assuring several high quality matches every show - and elevated several talents towards the main / upper card. Swerve, Brody King, and Rush most obviously.

They’re also telling a bunch of stories through the tournament. Jay White losing his mind. Kingston doubting himself. Danielson working through injury. Swerve gunning for the top. Briscoe trying to find himself as a singles guy. Etc.

1 Like

The quality matches were happening without the C2 though. That was never the problem. And I haven’t seen much storytelling, the favourites have won basically every match.

It’s the devil crap that is channel changing garbage though. Horrendous, phoney BS that makes absolutely no sense and everyone involved is worse off. Kill it now.

I won’t argue you on The Devil. I just hope the payoff makes it worth it.

1 Like

Is this rating that bad? It was a great show and held steady

2 Likes

No, it’s not. It’s slightly down from the previous weeks, but largely consistent.

To blow off Edge vs Christian and get that number has to be disappointing. It’s fine, but nothing special.