AEW Dynamite finishes tenth against U.S. presidential speech

Originally published at AEW Dynamite finishes tenth against U.S. presidential speech

Going against the presidential address from Joe Biden, AEW Dynamite fell below one million viewers after topping that mark for the past two episodes.

Wednesday’s edition of AEW Dynamite, a prelude to Blood & Guts next week, averaged 889,000 viewers and 0.33 in the 18-49 demographic finishing eleventh on cable for the day.

All the broadcast and major cable networks carried Biden’s speech that began just after 9 pm ET and was preceded with coverage on the cable news networks.

Dynamite dropped 11 percent in the 18-49 demo and 19.5 percent in overall viewers from last week’s show. The largest decrease was among adults 50+ falling by 23 percent. The 50+ rating of 0.37 is still well ahead of what Dynamite had been averaging in that demo going against NXT.

Adults 25-54 fell by 15.5 percent this week while adults 18-34 held up the most managing a 6 percent decline from the previous week’s show.

Compared to the final four weeks of head-to-head competition, AEW was still up 22 percent in viewers and 18 percent in the 18-49 demo.

In Canada, AEW Dynamite averaged 92,000 viewers on TSN 2 with 49,000 in the 25-54 demographic on TSN 2 with the main sports competition coming from the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Montreal Canadiens game.

This week we got more a more detailed breakdown of AEW’s Canadian numbers.

In the 25-54 demo, it skewed 69 percent male. In the 18-49 demo, Dynamite did 46,000 viewers and skewed 84.7 percent male. In the 18-34 demo, AEW did 32,000 viewers and was 81 percent male.

Here is a breakdown of the key demos:

Source: Showbuzz Daily

ADULTS 18-49: 0.33 (-11 percent)

FEMALES 18-49: 0.23 (-8 percent)

MALES 18-49: 0.43 (-14 percent)

ADULTS 18-34: 0.16 (-6 percent)

FEMALES 12-34: 0.13 (-7 percent)

MALES 12-34: 0.13 (-13 percent)

ADULTS 25-54
: 0.38 (-15.5 percent)

ADULTS 50+: 0.37 (-23 percent)

Biden is the true demo god

3 Likes

Not surprised at all considering the lack of feedback on this very forum and overall buzz.

They can’t be happy with this considering they went over 1.2 two weeks ago, my worry is they are regressing right back into that 750-950 range. With that said, you can’t ignore the Bidden address, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Next weeks number is a big one, if they stick in the 800 range, that indicates they lost most of the NXT audience they brought in week 1 post NXT, if they break 1mil, I’d say they should be happy.

I mean, considering the address dominated the night, they did pretty well.

The major networks looked the same way.

I would imagine they are back up to over 1M next week.

2 Likes

I attribute it to that as well, the only thing I dont know is how those networks normally perform with regularly scheduled programming. Either way, I do give them the benefit of the doubt but next week I hope they get back above that 1mil mark.

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Next week Wednesday is Cinco de Mayo day.

A Lakers game on the East Coast even without LeBron doing below a million viewers should tell you the anomaly this week was

What do Lakers games without LaBron usually do? I truly have no clue.

Last 5 games have been high 1.8 million to lowest 1.04 million according to showbuzz daily

1 Like

The two weeks that were the statistical outliers are anomalies, not this week.

Time will tell. We don’t have enough data to make that generalization, on what AEW ratings will be unopposed on Wednesdays.

1 Like

That makes no sense. At the moment, the two weeks that were above 1 million are the anomalies by the very fact there is over a year’s worth of data. So at this point in time it is absolutely a fact.

Whether or not the ratings reflect NXT running against them or not is irrelevant. If anything, the fact that they haven’t in the last two weeks that have seen significant drops doesn’t bode well for AEW.

when you say it doesn’t bode well, do you mean they are only going to get a $750mil rights deal vs. $1bil? Or they will only sell out PPVs in 1 day, not 1 hour? Will they sell 10 less new Young Bucks shirts?..like what does that even mean it “doesn’t bode well”

The only thing it doesn’t bode well for are MARKS like me or other AEW fans who like seeing the number above 1mil first-run (live). Yes, I’m a MARK. Yes, it means I can’t text my friend they did 1mil again. It has literally no impact on their business trajectory. It’s a straight line up.

I wish I could buy stock in this company. (sidenote: TK should go public with one of the SPACs and issue shares to every talent making them instant owners of the company and really changing the world of pro wrestling) It would be the easiest way to become as rich as Matt and Nick Jackson. This company is going to get a Rights deal similar to Raw or Smackdown’s current deal when this one is up. I think John said it recently, they don’t even make 1 year worth of Raw under their current deal. Imagine when they have Raw money!

4 Likes

Always gotta get your “facts” in about the failure that is AEW. Always a ray of sunshine Boyd.

1 Like

I know. Those pesky facts Brad.

No. A few weeks ago when they did that big number the majority were crowing about how it proved that, running unopposed, they were capable of regularly topping the one million mark. So my comment is in the context of that debate i.e. two large week on week declines immediately after doesn’t bode well for achieving that performance indicator.

I’m going to do this in a post so everyone can see. I just took a look at your activity over the last couple months and most, if not all your feedback is negative. Mostly negative to AEW, but we all know that. Since you were a paying member of the community for a time I’ll let you try and redeem yourself. Please start adding some positive feedback to any product, WWE, ROH, Impact, NJPW, or some other thing you watch. Only visiting this site to voice your negativity isn’t what this forum is here for.

I don’t want to seem like a father figure, but if you don’t have something nice to say, you would be allowed to say anything at all.

5 Likes

Does Cornette College offer stats courses now?

4 Likes

Isn’t it a good thing that young people tuned in to hear their President speak instead of watch a wrestling show? To me that’s great news overall

5 Likes

No offence but your post is complete nonsense.

“You used to be a paying member so I’ll give you another chance. Change your opinions or else.”

Insane. A great example of someone abusing their power. When was having “positive opinions” a pre-requisite? Obviously you just mean for AEW as well (as you always seem to wanna flex your power when it’s AEW criticism).

Nothing said in this thread has been outrageous or even approaching controversial but you still needed to feel like a big boy.

People getting confrontational over AEW criticism is fine but saying the ratings aren’t that positive is too much… Come on now.

1 Like