AEW Dynamite Notes: Cody vs. Wardlow Steel Cage Match, Tag Title Match Set For Next Week

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/01/15/aew-dynamite-notes-cody-vs-wardlow-steel-cage-match-tag-title-match-set-for-next-week/

All Elite Wrestling: Dynamite’s January 15th show was live from the Watsco Center in Coral Gables, Florida and the show kicked off with a four-way tag match between Kenny Omega & Adam Hangman Page, Best Friends (Chuck Taylor & Trent), The Young Bucks and Santana and Ortiz. Omega and Page emerged victorious from the match after they connected with their “Buckshot Lariat/V-Trigger” combination on Taylor to secure the victory. On the Jericho cruise next week, Kenny Omega and Hangman Page are challenging S.C.U. (Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio Sky) for the AEW World Tag Team Championships.

Cody accepted all of MJF’s stipulations in order to get a match with MJF at AEW’s ‘Revolution’ pay-per-view on February 29th in Chicago. Cody agreed to not touch MJF until their pay-per-view match, to take ten lashings from MJF on a live episode of Dynamite and to face Wardlow inside a Steel Cage which will happen on the February 19th episode of Dynamite in Cody’s home-area of Atlanta, Georgia.

The Jericho cruise will also feature a singles match between Joey Janela and Rey Fenix. Janela cut a promo on tonight’s episode of Dynamite about Penelope Ford and Kip Sabian. The Jurassic Express (Marko Stunt, Luchasaurus & Jungle Boy) are taking on Santana, Ortiz and AEW World Champion Chris Jericho on the cruise as well.

WWE’s Baron Corbin indirectly commented on AEW’s opening tag match and had the following to say about the bout:

Winner gets a title shot so…..forget covers, everybody get pops, spot spot spot dive dive dive spot spot spot spot dive dive dive dive spot dive spot dive spot group spot group spot dive, get your shit in, neck beards “this is awesome” pic.twitter.com/E6X4zg7s3d

— THE KING (@BaronCorbinWWE) January 16, 2020

Another Dark Order promo aired and the group is eyeing Brandon Cutler, Hangman Adam Page, and Michael Nakazawa as potential recruits. They did hint at possibly recruiting Kenny Omega by way of Nakazawa.

Jon Moxley earned his spot in the AEW World Championship #1 contender’s match on next week’s show by defeating Sammy Guevara in a singles match. After Mox’s victory, The Inner Circle attacked him and Jericho stabbed Moxley in the eye with one of the spikes from his jacket. PAC vs. Darby Allin was the other qualifying match and PAC bested Darby. As PAC was celebrating his victory, cameras cut to the backstage area where Moxley was being tended to by the medical staff and Moxley exited the ambulance and came back out in front of crowd’s view to let PAC know that he will be ready to fight next week as the winner will challenge Chris Jericho for the AEW World Championship.

"I don't care if I'm blind, if I've got one eye, no eyes, I don't care if I'm half dead." @JonMoxley#AEWDynamite pic.twitter.com/GfuuLNIOct

— All Elite Wrestling on TNT (@AEWonTNT) January 16, 2020

Diamond Dallas Page made his return to in-ring competition on the show and his team consisting of QT Marshall and Dustin Rhodes were defeated by MJF, The Butcher and The Blade. MJF wore a shirt to the ring that read, “I Banged Dallas’ Daughter.”

Seems like the Janela vs Fenix match has been taped for next week’s episode of Dark instead of Dynamite on the cruise.

Baron Corbin upping his heal gimmick to take heat by going after another promotion’s matches. Great heel tactic. Also really supports the WWE’s position that they don’t care what AEW does. FFS, Corbin admitting he watched it is all you need to know about how AEW has rented space inside WWE Talent’s head.

2 Likes

Hey going after other promotions worked for Seth turning heel sooo…

Corbin will turn heel? This is his face run? What???
What would be good for Corbin is if he wasn’t so boring

If you’re aware of Corbin’s tweeting habits, you’ll know that he regularly goes after fans and regularly throws shots. He knows what he’s doing. AEW fans on twitter are also the easiest to rattle. Less a case of AEW being in his head and more a case of a heel on twitter getting inside the heads of AEW fans and upsetting them. Keeping kayfabe alive.

1 Like

Oh cool. Good for him then.
I can confirm Baron Corbin is NOT somebody I follow or know his tweeting habits.

1 Like

Not even WWE talent watches NXT apparently…

1 Like

You should. It’s pretty funny. Although it’s him mostly trolling… He actually comes across as a pretty cool guy in interviews and on UpUpDownDown.

1 Like

NXT isn’t close to the worst offenders on AEW with hitting cool spots for the sake of cool spots. Most matches are much shorter as well.