AEW Dynamite Results: Tony Khan Gets Attacked By The Elite, Moxley vs. Hobbs

“Meltzerdriver” being used in an article by non-wrestling media is incredible.

3 Likes

Khan needs to be wearing a neck brace today at the nfl draft. Please just do it lol.

I do like Hangman as the mega heel of the group

3 Likes

THIS could be something very,very good for AEW’s future. Dragging any percentage of the NFL fanbase not watching your product into your product will have short and long-term benefits.

The smile on my face reading “Meltzerdriver” illuminated the rainy skies over my house for a quick moment. :laughing:

Great move by TK and AEW to land this NFL documentary. One that, in my opinion, is far more likely to help grow their audience than some of their other attempts - like the reality shows, understanding you’re chasing different demographics with different approaches.

Edit: @TheBenjamin - This level of Kayfabe will be delightful and hysterical. Seriously, that’ll be the cherry on top of the icing. LOL. I gotta find this angle on YouTube. LOL.

2 Likes

I thought the angle in theory was very good, and I thought the performance by the wrestlers was good, but man is Tony a cringe performer and that was a little hard for me to look past when suspending my disbelief.

Timing was smart, hopefully this is talked about at the draft and if he shows up in a neck brace I will fricken love it!

Unlike the idiocy of airing the punk/Perry stuff, this can only do good for the company.

This angle works because of all of that. Jack Perry is justified in his anger towards Tony. He was suspended for half a year because he got punched - and we all saw it.

This is no difference than Shawn and Triple H airing the curtain call footage, and breaking kayfabe in the ring, leading to the formation of DX.

But again, people made up their minds already. Even though the last two weeks have shown the positive effect it had for Jack.

I don’t think most people (here) deny the positive effect it has had for Jack Perry over the last couple of weeks. The discussion has been whether it was worth it to air the footage in the bigger picture. It’s hardly “case closed” just because the Chicago crowd booed.

As for the Tony angle – as I said above, I like the idea. It seems like they are at least addressing the fact that we all know the Bucks aren’t really in charge. But I’m interested in what’s next. Once you tread into reality, you have to commit, especially with the uber-locked in AEW audience. Tony can’t still be backstage at shows, certainly can’t appear in front of the live crowd (even untelevised) or do media where he doesn’t address it. Not saying fans will think it’s “real”, but they’ll be quick to shit on it if there are major inconsistencies.

Or maybe angle going forward will have very little to do with Tony, and this is just how they try to get more heat for Jack Perry. Either way, I’m curious.

1 Like

Are we not able to discuss AEW without bringing up WWE? Why does it always have to be like this? Because WWE did something 28 years ago, that means what AEW does in 2024 is justified. Sorry, thats silly, and its debatable if that was even a good idea back then, but that’s not what I’m interested in talking about now since its not 1996.

The angle still works without airing the footage. We all know what happened, airing that footage changed nothing. Jack Perry is still justified in his anger towards Tony and he was still suspended a year and a half in a world where the footage is not aired.

Airing the footage was idiotic unless your game plan is to divide your audience. Sure someone like you loves is, you’re not going anywhere. Someone like me is kind of apathetic to it, I’m glad I got to see it as I was interested, but there are many fans that are not on team Tony in the dispute between Punk and AEW, and he’s just giving them more reason not to watch the product. It also came of very cringe.

My mind was not “already made up”, my opinion has been formed on what has transpired. It was dumb.

• Why wouldn’t I refer to something in wrestling history as a reference point for a current day angle? This isn’t a “But WWE did this…”, I’m simply making reference to a situation that mirrors this one. If somebody speaks about this angle, why wouldn’t it be relevant to bring up similar events in the past? Whether that be of the angle itself last night (Austin stunning Vince, Nash powerbombing Eric). Or the longer story going on, as I did with the DX segment.

• No, not everybody understood where Jack went. I’m sure a portion of the audience had no idea about the stories or the situation. If AEW didn’t explain it, they’d be criticized for assuming their audience knew every backstage story.

Because first off its 28ish years ago and its a completely different set of circumstances.

The airing of the curtain call didn’t piss many fans off, nobody stopped watching WWE because of that. This angle pissed many fans off. Yes, myself, and others on this board aren’t going to be too mad about it, but it clearly bothers some people and driving away fans is the last thing I want for AEW right now. Admit it or not, but the Punk/AEW drama was bad for business and as soon as it begins to be a thing of the past, the dumbest thing to do is bring it up again for pop. I think a better comparison would be DX bringing out a little person to mock Bret Hart the night after the screwjob. Like this, that was stupid to do and likely pissed people off. And before you say that WWE took off after that, them taking off was not directly connected to that angle in particular.

Did every single fan know where Jack went? No. But in an AEW audience, I feel like 95% of them do.

Its OK to acknowledge that AEW made a mistake, it doesn’t make you less of a fan.

It’s also okay to have a difference of opinion on an angle.

Never implied it wasn’t.

YES!!!

5 Likes

He did the thing! Please tell me McAfee was on the broadcast.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/Matmenpodcast/status/1783693589224075692?t=tdeoUBoBB15UcpGbu7_KHQ&s=19

1 Like

Guys, the neck brace is even the Kauffmann, old-school, straight out of Cornette’s gimmick closet type! :heart_eyes: LOL :laughing:

Edit: I’ve now seen the angle. Oh, pro wrestling, LOL. Jack needs to find his voice as everything he said was a tad predictable and felt overly rehearsed, Tony Khan’s selling was an A+ on an awful scale, and the acting by everyone, well, they were trying good and had me on the verge of lols. It was Brutal, ridiculous, laughable, slightly campy, cringe to some, fantastic pro-wrestling. Also, CLEARLY, Tony Khan has never been hit in his life. If you have ever seen or experienced a liver shot (been there, blah), you should know how to sell that. LOL :laughing:

1 Like

He deserves to recapture booker of the year for this :joy:

3 Likes

I’m somewhere between the both of you. I’ve come around on the angle because I think the New Elite are turning into a really great faction, the angle to close the show was superb, and Jack Perry seems to be finding himself.

I still think airing the CM Punk thing was dumb though. The execution of it was horrible and the timing still feels desperate. CM Punk’s rant was pretty much a better commercial for Jack Perry’s return ithan the actual footage ended up being. I mean, in CM Punk’s version Perry came to Punk with a chip on his shoulder and ready for a fight. In the video version, Perry got yelled at, played with his hair, and then got strangled.

Without airing the video you still have a mystique surrounding what really happened at Wembley. Like at least before the footage was aired we had some people believing that Punk went for a choke hold and got immediately countered and embarrassed. It’s weird to see the footage of Perry being pretty easily handled, and being presented afterwards as some bad boy rebel. I really think his Chicago NJPW footage was gonna go that way video or not. Punk already had his name in headlines.

In the end they’ve turned it around to a pretty fun storyline so I’m willing to look past some of the details that don’t really compute. Though I disagree with them airing it, the footage didn’t really do the damage I thought it would and it’s turning out alright.

2 Likes

Your thoughts pretty much mirror mine, I agree with everything you said. I have no issue with the storyline, it was the airing of the footage that I thought was stupid.

From whatever show McAfee was on last night:

https://x.com/patmcafeeshow/status/1783692640942207373?s=46&t=ToPJWK1Dbbj_kP8IgEZVMg

And here’s NFL Network:

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1783692434334973957?s=46&t=ToPJWK1Dbbj_kP8IgEZVMg

Not sure if there was anything else, these are the two that are all over Twitter.

1 Like

The rating was really low and the PPV buys are low.

The show did have a decent crowd but the gate was on the worst ever indicating low prices.

Not sure this is working apart from to people on a message board