AEW Full Gear: Jon Moxley pins Kenny Omega in violent main event

I’m in my 40’s and I dug it. Then again, I’m a “different kind of cat”.

3 Likes

That was CZW nuts!
Omega should have won

Was he a plant? Because if a fan did this it actually added incredible heat to MJF and was an incredible cherry on top to the angle. And it did look like security rushed the guy in the background as they changed cameras. Great job by security and also great job if they thought to have security rush the guy if it was in fact a plant.

2 Likes

This was the kind of stuff that makes sense in a modern day hardcore match. Brutal to watch. Would have much preferred more of this than whatever description you want to use to describe the match. I couldn’t get into it and had a feeling of being let down by two guys who I wanted to see have a G1 style match. Even with the unsanctioned stip, it could have been more creative and less weapon riddled

2 Likes

Maybe I am wrong, but I’m 100% believing it was a plant. It was just too convenient that it was at the very end of the ramp, where MJF could get out quickly before anyone else decided to throw anything. It was easy access for the security to grab the guy quickly.

I’ve reiterated my thoughts elsewhere, so I might as well do it here too: they really need to take a break on these Lights Out Matches. Third one they’ve done since June, and this one clearly went more insane than the previous two. The way Moxley bled made him look like his head was cut off and reattached, and Omega’s landing on the Phoenix Splash was the worst, most painful-looking moment aside from Cody’s header. I give these two credit for their creativity and intensity in this one, but I’m ready for both to move on and not do matches like this for a long time.

Chris Jericho vs. Cody and PAC vs. Adam Page were my favorite matches of the night, and I liked how the two tag matches were so different from one another. I thought the MJF turn was about perfect, though it could have been dragged out a little more. I thought it was a good show overall but not at the level of Double or Nothing and All Out (maybe this show being in the midst of Dynamite took away some of the spark for me?).

I wasn’t big into the main event but that’s never been my preferred style anyway. Think it was safer than it looked at points but in particular the phoenix splash was not pleasant to watch. Maybe I’m just old but I’ve never been huge into that stuff.

Pac/Page and Cody/Jericho were the stand out matches, the bucks/santana & Ortiz match was pretty good as well. The women’s match and main event went too long imo. Good show all in all though.

PAC and Hangman delivered a hell of a match which makes the fact it was derailed initially a bummer. Because Hangman could be a top guy if it wasn’t for the derailed start to his tenure in AEW

It was good, but apparently we are getting it again Wednesday. That feels like going back to the well again too soon.

2 Likes

Yes, and it’s very mid card to keep running it back. If they wrestled at DoN and again at Full Gear it would feel meaningful.
Meanwhile they kept touting the record at 1-1 with Hangman getting a pin in a tag match and now they are calling Wednesday the rubber match. Lame.

1 Like

I dont like it, but I dislike the SCU/Jericho & Guevara even more. I wouldnt mind if it was non title, but how are Jericho & Guevara getting a title match, when they arent even a team on their top 5 rankings?

That’s why I hate the ranking system in wrestling. Let’s say a year from now Scorpio Sky suddenly catches fire but his record is 15-30. They gonna ignore the crowd getting behind him just to stick with their rankings? Make wins important but a running win/loss record is a little much to me still.

I mean that depends on how they work the rankings overtime. They could go based on things like win streaks etc vs total win and loss.

The Jericho and Sami thing bothers me because I hate the 2 singles guys team up to be a tag team thing if they end up winning it diminishes the tag teams. Further why are we defending the title so often. SCU won the belt 2 weeks ago and will have defended it 3 times. Why not have some more undercard tag matches to build up possible contenders. AEW in general is going to the title defense thing way too often across the board IMO. In 7 shows we have seen the women’s title won, and defended, the world title defended, the tag titles won and defended. So 5/7 weeks we’ve had a title match of some kind with only 3 titles. In the middle of which all 3 were defended at a PPV. All of the defenses on TV have felt hot shotted. It seems to me that it would have been better to have only had the women’s initial title match on TV. The Darby match was good but him getting a shot didn’t make sense.

The tag match actually makes more sense to me - SCU beat the 2 and 3 on Saturday. The Bucks lost. And Jericho made the case their record is as good or better than anyone else’s as a 2 man team. The issue to take with it is that there is a real tag team in the Inner Circle and maybe they should be pushed to get the shot? But they’ve had 1 match and beat a team that is trending down anyway. I’m actually okay with that.

1 Like

I’m ok with it from a standings standpoint. My question is why are they defending it again already?

Nick Jackson said on twitter today that win/loss records will reset at some point.

1 Like

That is dumb
I like the W L records.
Now they mean nothing.
Booooo

I mean… Isn’t that exactly like every sports league?

Yup they mean more if they reset. Otherwise you would have large numbers in the records that would either trend toward 50-50 or you would have guys so far behind they can never recover. Either you reset the records, or the rankings only care about hot and cold streaks and ignore the overall records

I actually really like the reset idea. A season with a beginning and end would be different and very interesting. Just depends how they use it.