AEW scores highest head-to-head figures since Oct. 2019

Easily better as well. AEW is just bootleg WWE supported by insecure fans that want to pretend they’re a part of something special and different.

Wrestling is subjective, I don’t think there is a correct or incorrect view regarding what “is better”.

Personally I don’t watch NXT TV (just takeovers/specials) so I can’t comment on that, SD I will agree I have enjoyed more than AEW since the Roman/Uso storyline began, however I do feel there was a shift a few weeks ago once they finally took the belt off Moxley.

To be fair, we were talking Raw because Raw is the show that one number came close to.

My thing is this, there are two things I love about AEW compared to main roster WWE. The first is the speak, AEW dialogue sounds much more realistic, main roster WWE has a tendency (not always) of sounding fake. A good example of this back in the day was whenever they would use the word “vulumpsious” a word I have never hear a person under the age of 50 back then use (clearly a Vince word). Second thing is long term story telling, WWE sometimes does this, but so often things are changed out of nowhere which is backed up by numerous reports as well.

Outside of that, I do agree AEW and WWE are more similar then what some people are able to admit, but I’m not going to criticize AEW for that.

1 Like

I’d also add - the reason many of us are happy about AEW’s success and give their support to them over WWE, is that there are countless fans who just don’t want to support WWE anymore.

They’re a disgusting company that’s a far cry from what many of us fell in love with over the decades.

The Saudi Arabia deal was the last straw for many. The blind eye the turned to the racism and homophobia it supported against members not their own roster. Their willingness of participate in the image laundering of a country with a horrific track record and issues ongoing human rights violations.

Just in the nine months of the pandemic, their terrible handling of it. They’re obvious and transparent bribery of the Florida government. The cutting if talent in the middle of a pandemic (and in one of their most profitable quarters ever) to play optics for share holders. Their tone deaf response to the BLM protestors in creating a spoof of bumbling losers in Retribution. Their ignorance towards talent called out during the #SpeakingOut movement, both pushing talents named and hiring accused talents.

The support of AEW as an alternative for “Arena TV wrestling” for many goes beyond the look and presentation that is all somebody like @AuthorOfPosts sees. Much like the reason I support many indies. We are in a time and place where there is more transparency than ever in regard to the morality of companies they choose to support. And many people feel much better supporting companies and talent that seem to share the same values as these fans.

When people get excited for AEW’s performance and success, as I’ve said before - it’s because it goes towards celebrating their overall health as a promotion, and hope that they can continue to thrive and grow.

3 Likes

Fans being excited about AEW doing relatively well isn’t an issue at all. I don’t see a whole lot of difference between what they do and what WWE do but I accept that’s subjective. Hypocrisy and a lack of perspective however, does become an issue when trying to discuss anything.

A complete dismissal of anyone that criticises AEW is also ridiculous and that’s something you see on this forum regularly. You tagging me to let me know that me saying they’re similar is only because of presentation is just stupid to be honest.

Enjoy them still being alive, great, but unfortunately that’s not all that’s going on. As I mentioned before, there’s a difference between AEW doing relatively well and AEW being on the brink of taking over the world.

Perspective is a good thing.

1 Like

Ya I hear you, and I wouldn’t argue against the majority of issues/facts that you bring up.

I think where my perspective differs from some wrestling fans is that I just don’t view the McMahon family as being much different then the Khan family. The way wrestling fans complain about the McMahons is VERY similar to the way football fans complain about NFL owners. I think the big difference is that the McMahons are THE owners in respect to the WWE, while the Khan family are just 1 of 32 owners in the NFL, and since they own the Jaguars who likely rank 32/32 when it comes to historical significance, they get lost in the poor PR compared to someone like a Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones. Just google “greedy NFL owners” and you will see a laundry list of articles come up.

Both families are firmly entrenched in Corporate America, both families have openly supported and donated to Trump, both families have had public disputes with talent etc.

I’m not going to support AEW to feel that I am supporting a company with a strong moral fiber because I believe that if I do Ill just be disappointed down the road. Ill support them because they put on a good product, which they do.

With that said, anyone who doesnt want to support the WWE for all the things you talked about, I would not argue with them as I think those are all very valid points.

Can’t disagree a lot with what you said. What I will say about the point many people like to bring up, that Shahid Khan donating to Trump in 2016, and The McMahon donating 15x the amount in 2020 is a huge difference.

Foolishly ignorant and being hopeful for a new administration in 2016 vs supporting a trash fire in 2020.

1 Like

Can’t disagree with any of that. I guess the question is are the Khan family changing their perspective of that administration compared to the McMahon family, or are the Khan family significantly less tone deaf then the McMahon’s. I’m not going to pretend to know the answer to that.

Either way, I fully hear what you are saying and dont disagree with you.

1 Like

No he didn’t, he said one thing is worse than another. There was no hypocrisy in his statement.

If I say mass murder is worse than assault, I’m not defending assault.

1 Like

The irony is astounding. You just did what Trump supporters do - justified something that is unjustifiable. I guess you’ll do whatever you have to do to justify to yourself why you aren’t a hypocrite.

Get the fuck out of here.
I’m not defending it. Fuck Trump.

Look, for the record, nobody who runs AEW donated to him. The owner’s father did. In 2016.

But I can also look at a situation and clearly state which is worse.

I think most people in a country should hope that the newly elected leader will do what’s best for their country, regardless of their political affiliation. Everybody should be hoping for the best.

Four years in, after seeing all the awfulness of the leadership - if you’re still willing to support that, it’s a whole other topic.

It’s grasping at straws. Basically any big business or businessman donates to both sides in a normal election.

For WWE to double down on Trump is obviously worse. And above all else, Linda worked in the administration. Not comparable at all

1 Like

RAW numbers - 1.57 million viewers, .41 in the demo

UGLY numbers - last weeks Dynamite had a better demo.

It was a horrible show and going up against a close football game so it’s not surprising. But this show is tumbling big time and Dynamite is growing

2 Likes

Is there football on Wednesdays? Or is it just an easier day? Either way, as said before, it’s pretty ridiculous to compare viewership of shows on different days and to act like they’re going head to head. It’s also not a case of “they’re leaving Raw which means more viewers for AEW”… they’re not going head to head, Raw wasn’t standing in the way of people watching AEW. Shouldn’t be difficult to understand. Just requires a little bit of thinking.

Now, could Raw’s Nielsen generated numbers get as low as AEW’s? Sure. But who’s winning there? It’s just wrestling’s general viewership going down. Great for tribalists that get boners off of one number being bigger than another number though.

2 Likes

Is it? If you exclude the two mega hot shot’d shows from the last two weeks the evidence says no it isn’t. Until they stop throwing everything but the kitchen sink at their weekly tv and present some normal episodes that demonstrate the last two weeks are not just a reflection of giving away the (arguably) biggest match they had to offer, the Impact angle and the initial bump from Sting then that is a false statement.

And as AOP has pointed out, they aren’t up against Monday Night Football approaching the end of the regular divisional season.

1 Like

What? What was “Hot shot’d” on those shows?

They literally built to Omega/Moxley for over a month. Two of you include the championship contendership tournament.

Sting debuting? Wouldn’t call that a “hot shot” unless surprise debuts are not a thing anymore? They didn’t rush into anything but a promo the following week.

Shaq’s appearance? Something mentioned a few weeks ago, and this was a follow-up.

They were big shows, sure. But if you are going to try and knock them, find actual weaknesses, and at least use proper terminology - don’t throw out a term doesn’t reflect the show at all.

Oh, and here you are again dumping on shows you don’t actually follow or watch.

2 Likes

Those blaming football - last weeks game had a bigger number. It’s more so people tuning away from RAW because it’s a bad show

1 Like

:yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face::yawning_face:

1 Like

So…? The point being made is that it’s easier for AEW on Wednesdays. The shows aren’t going head to head. Monday and Wednesday are not the same day. Context is important in analysis.

This is where we’re at with wrestling fans and ratings. SMH.

I remember when originally it was

• “AEW doesn’t have a chance head to head against NXT”

Then it became:

“It’s a marathon not a race”

It moved onto:

“But RAW has better ratings”

Now it’s:

“RAW is on a tough night”

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Can’t wait to see what is the next losers narrative

3 Likes

Always some new excuse for the ratings.