AEW signs Paul Wight to long-term deal, launching new series

From what I remember when he has done commentary as a guest for WWE he has been pretty good. Quick whited. Good at banter. Can be either a face or heel. The same goes for when I hear him in interviews.

I don’t think he would be good at play-by-play. But he should be okay for a color commentator and hopefully get better over time so he’s ready to fill in on Dynamite if ever needed.

I’ll miss “The Big Show Show” though. Sad there won’t be another season.

Sure, but I’m guessing Cody could get him the “The Go Big Show” hook-up.

I need to do a deep dive on the big show at some point.

Seemed like wcw giant had mega star potential. It went wrong in so many different ways. He had a good career to be fair but I would have expected a lot more.

Kinda fascinating.

It must be annoying that Big Show was always typecast as a large idiot or some heart of gold guy in his acting roles

As opposed to what?

Judging by his personality outside of wrestling and according to his peers. The acting roles he is given is basically an extension of his real life persona.

He’s not an idiot but a fun loving goofball that loves to make others laugh (His imitation of Paul Heyman on the Heyman documentary always cracked me up) and the whole heart of gold thing is attributed to him being a pretty kind and caring person outside of wrestling.

On one hand I am surprised as I did think that Show would be a WWE lifer, on the other hand there are only so many “legends” that WWE can do something with. At no fault of his own, when it comes to the list of guys who pretty much have zero luster left in a WWE setting, Big Show (and I’d say Kane) likely top the list. At least in AEW he will fee fresh, its no different then guys like Foley, Hogan, Flair etc. when they went to TNA. Also, AEW definitely has a WCW vibe, and that is where he got his start.

I imagine he does a couple years there, then comes back to WWE when it will actually mean something again.

I feel happy for the guy, hopefully he enjoys what he does there.

There is no casual audience.

1 Like

There’s clearly still a casual wrestling audience despite wrestling’s decline in mainstream relevance, hence why you would want to entice them into paying attention to your product. Your desire to shit on AEW at any possible opportunity made you misinterpret what I said to mean “current casual AEW fans only”.

1 Like

I’m not shitting on AEW. I’m merely stating facts. There is a hardcore audience that watch Dynamite and a couple of hundred thousand who float between it and NXT.

Look at the total viewership for the two since this handbags at dawn squabble started. It’s a fairly consistent band they operate in.

Whether he’s trolling or not, calling into question the existence of a casual crowd is not ridiculous nor a shot at AEW - though I think maybe the proper terminology to use at this point is “NXT and AEW overlap fans” or “DVR watchers.” “Lapsed fans” I guess could be used as a synonym in times when Sting is present, but that doesn’t really apply to Big Show just because he had a heyday and hasn’t been used in a while. There is some question as to whether or not a casual fanbase that doesn’t watch often but comes back for big events exists in any tangible real number. AEW’s viewership pretty much sticks to a 750-950K range, so if we want to consider that 200K “casual” I guess that’s fair, but I feel that that isn’t really casual since it sways week to week. I think we need some more time where these two brands exist in a less competition-filled situation to know one way or another, but we haven’t gotten a chance to experience it yet.

2 Likes

There is, you see it in the ratings. AEW always seems to be stuck between 750K and 950K for Dynatmite. Based on that right there I would say that 750K are the “hardcores”, and the other 200K are the casual fans who check it out when there is buzz, a hot match, or them just putting it on because there is nothing else on TV.

DING DONG! HELLO! I’m casual as fuck my boy. We casuals are out here.

In any meaningful numbers.

I think another thing to consider in this whole scenario is how WWE treats it’s “legends” moving forward.

Apparently Wight was unhappy how he was used during the last lame ass legends night show. Not every legend is going to be a whore for the camera like Flair and do whatever is asked of him (hint at getting another talent pregnant).

Compare the way WWE treats them all as jokes to how AEW seems to handle them. There’s really no comparison.

Why would an older guy want to appear for WWE and read stupid scripted lines, be involved in angles with night vision goggles or play poker in the back?

1 Like

He was also used in two major angles last year as Drew McIntyre’s first opponent in the moments after WM and with Randy Orton. I mean, fans are complaining about the average age of WWE competitors in the Royal Rumble but want a nearly 50-year old Big Show to be on TV even more?

Sometimes an opportunity strikes and it’s good for both sides. He’s going to be used more in AEW. Great for him. I don’t know that that means WWE needed to use him more. Two different situations.

1 Like

LOL, I read your post after writing what I wrote, funny we used the exact same numbers. 100% agree, its mostly semantics at this point, but AEW definitely has 200K fans in the US that do not watch every single week religiously, but will watch under the right circumstances.

1 Like

When they can be asked to risk their health by coming to one of the Covid hotspots of America only to stand about outside the ring and do nothing most weeks or be presented as an idiot by saying they’ll have someone’s back only for the following week to not be at ringside and see them attacked by the very people they were meant to be protecting said individual from whilst just standing by and watching?

Both of those angles sucked too. Zero build and they just threw him out there. He turned heel and turned face also.

It’s just zero care or thought into anything he does.

Ha, I read that right after and laughed.

Yeah, I think at this point it’s just whatever each of our opinions on the power of Big Show really is. I think tonight will be hard to tell since Shaq is there, but if they wait on his first appearance and advertise it, it should give us a good idea of what it actually is down the road.