Originally published at AEW x NJPW pre-Forbidden Door media call notes: Goldberg, STARDOM, CM Punk
Notes from the pre-Forbidden Door media call.
Coming up on June 25th is AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door II which is emanating from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Going into the pay-per-view, AEW President Tony Khan answered questions from the media and below are some of the highlights:
- Khan stated that Satoshi Kojima versus CM Punk is a match he’s always wanted to see. He did not directly address why KENTA wasn’t an option to face Punk
- When asked about the lack of Canadians in the Owen Hart Foundation tournament, Khan said he wanted the strongest field possible.
- He denies that him and his father were interested in acquiring Bellator MMA
- Khan shares that both Madison Rayne and Sarah Stock are involved in creative with the women’s division.
- Commenting on the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match, he stated that ‘Jungle Boy’ Jack Perry was the top choice to face SANADA.
- There is mutual interest between AEW and STARDOM to work together someday. The reason they’re not a part of Forbidden Door is because they’re running a show that same day
- He suggests there may be a way to get more companies involved in Forbidden Door, specifically on the lucha libre front
- Khan was asked about CM Punk’s ‘One Bill Phil’ line and mentioning David Zaslav, Chief Executive Officer of Warner Bros. Discovery, by name. Khan likened it to when WCW used Ted Turner’s name on TV
- Revenue-wise, AEW generates nine figures and are pushing towards the ‘magic number’ CM Punk referred to
- He had a nice conversation with Goldberg about being involved with AEW
- Khan did not answer directly about having The Elite and CM Punk in the same building for Forbidden Door, but said Punk being back has been positive
- Madison Rayne is sidelined with a foot injury
POST Wrestling is hosting the ‘Forbidden Pour’ pre and after-party on the day of Forbidden Door. For more information, head over to this link.