After this week, I'm suspending my interest in WWE. Some thoughts

Another thought related to this whole discussion/concept: where do you work (the royal “you”, not singling anybody out)? Where does the money that they pay you come from? And what does that company do with the money that you help them make?

My point remains that we’re all hypocrites in this area. We all do things that, to some degree, go against our personal beliefs. And the more political – and more vocal about your politics – that you become, the more hypocritical you likely are.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, one can’t exist in this world without having some blood on their hands. I don’t know if that’s just a basic human thing, or just a social issue. But, I’m not gonna call anyone a hypocrite unless they are blatantly lying.

3 Likes

Yes, I see your delusions cross topics.

I used to work at Apple and they, like some other companies, try to exude this virtuous corporate image based on where their money goes, but then you look into where their resources come from and all that falls away.

1 Like

I’ve been done with them for at least a year. Probably longer but I honestly can’t remember the last time I have them money or watched anything.

To be fair, the product really notes me so it’s an easy decision on too of all the other issues.

1 Like

On how I personally view donations and the difference between the Kahn’s or any political contribution. It’s their private and personal business and whatever reasons they have, I’m willing to accept as long as they are with merit and not malicious intention. So if anyone wants to back conservative economy policy because of their situation, that’s their right.

Same applies for where people work. I DO NOT blame anyone for covering WWE because it’s their profession (though I think these ties are worth seriously discussing when covering the events and wrestling as a whole). I don’t blame anyone for working for a company that may be culpable for things. We all have to make a living and we all do our best. Never will I judge somebody for something way out of their control such as what an employer may do.

I go back to the core of why now and what’s different. This wasn’t donating for personal preference. This was making if you’re job to ensure 100s of millions of ads would run driving a base to fever pitch while hearing rhetoric that signaled a real threat. Running the propaganda operation as far as the purse strings go. And when it remained an unrealized threat I never imagined it would be realized in the manner it did ultimately.

It’s like waking up on Sept 12th 2001 and realizing terrorism is now a threat to America. It was common sense to try to eradicate it before it happens again. Right now if the people directly responsible for creating domestic terrorism are able to go on living with no repercussions, what are we really doing? Wishing it to go away?

I don’t know how much blame is at people like Linda or News Outlets or platforms like Twitter/FB. I think this is uncharted territory for America unfortunately. It’s raw and very 9/11 like except it was conducted by Americans and some of them are wealthy and powerful and we can’t declare war on a minority of the country. So what do we as consumers and citizens of not just America but the free world do next?

2 Likes

Absolutely. I just think that there isn’t a difference ultimately. You can be a perpetrator or bystander and still be at fault.

1 Like

@MJfromNJ I applaud you taking a stance on something you believe in. I don’t really watch much WWE at all and cancelled my subscription after the JK incident and their trip to Saudi.

What happened this week with an acting President provoking his own mob to attack his constituents and selling out his own VP on Twitter as a target is reprehensible.

I hope we still see you around these parts as you are clearly and intelligent person with some great insights. Take care

1 Like

I still fail to see how this is WWE’s fault, but whatever.

I stopped watching them because their product is garbage. Everything else (the Saudi deal for example) is added bonus. Linda has been with Trump and Vince had supported him for I don’t even remember how long.

Pick your poison and go with the poison.

Nobody’s stopping you for what you’re picking.

The last time I checked, NJ is still a part of the US of A, so you can still exercise your first amendment rights.

Fair play to those who feel they can no longer watch out of principle. Personally, I’m usually able to separate what entertains me, that being said, I didn’t watch for most of last year because of their negligence at the start of the pandemic and being declared as an essential service. It was a real kick in the teeth, even from here Scotland.

1 Like

The JK murder and subsequent continued support of Saudi Arabia was the breaking point for me. I’m in Ireland so American politics affects me far less than those in the US itself, but watching WWE after that point left a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn’t fun any more and I felt dirty watching it.

I’ll be honest and say that there’s probably other stuff I watch/use/buy that has uncomfortable things tied to it too. I don’t go out of my way to look into those and live in blissful ignorance of the details. However, on hearing John and Wai, and other podcasts, explain the murder and its effects in detail, I just couldn’t face watching WWE any more.

I sometimes question if I’d have been able to stop watching so easily if the product wasn’t so terrible all the time. But then I ask whether I’d start watching again if WWE caught fire, and the answer is no. Maybe in a few years if Vince is no longer in charge and the company appears to turn a corner, but realistically, that’s not happening.

3 Likes

That is a cop-out MJ. By financing his campaign, whatever their motives, they enabled him and are complicit in the repercussions of his Presidency, as is everyone else who donated to his campaign or excused his behaviour. He was, is and always will be a disgusting piece of shit of a human (allegedly) being and it has been apparent for long before he ran for the Presidency so motives are no excuse.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s totally fair to @MJfromNJ

I know a lot of people that supported DJT in 2016. It could have been hatred for Clinton, a willingness to try something new, lower taxes, fed up with the same old etc. In 2016 you were also completely unaware of what he was capable of. Yes he said some disparaging things but in two party system a lot of people viewed him as the better candidate.

In Nov 2020 if you still are waving the Trump flag after he’s mucked up Covid, refused to acknowledge losing and incited a riot that’s very different. That I think is the difference between the Khans and the McMahons

3 Likes

I call bullshit on that. A cursory glance at almost any news when he announced his candidacy told you everything you needed to know i.e. he was a sociopathic, whining little bitch disgusting human being. The last few months haven’t been some miraculous epiphany unless you were ignorant to who he is.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s assuming Shahid Khan didn’t support/vote for Trump in 2020. I haven’t heard him say anything one way or another. The last time he did talk about Trump which was about a year ago he said he didn’t agree on his policies about religion, immigration, and social issues, but did agree with his economic polices.

I’m not saying Trump is some great human being and even in 2016 you sort of knew what you were getting. But he hadn’t done anything crazy yet - he was just spewing rhetoric some thought was to energize his base.

If it hadn’t been for COVID he might have swung by. COVID is what exposed his leadership and led to the crazy chain of events that culminated in that.

Again I’m not saying Trump was great in 2016. He was far worse these last few months though.

4 Likes

These last few months were putting together the insurrection day. He sacked anyone at the Pentagon who would have stopped him, primed his base for a revolution and even had a few people die for him. This doesn’t go away. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawyey are trying to court the cult

1 Like

What is lost on the “all GOP donors and Republican voters” argument is that they ignore there are policy differences people are personally prioritizing. If it’s a cop out it’s only because I do respect everyone’s right and understand their personal priorities may differ across the spectrum.

I’ll say this. If people still donated and stood behind Trump for “policy” after this, it’s disgusting. And by this I’m referring to seeing where it all leads. I don’t believe trump donors and voters doing it for policy really imagined this is where it would wind up. I hope they realize now they provide cover for awful factions that should not be given legitimacy by way of a political party. Neither political party can be a Trojan horse any longer for the extremes that have always existed below the surface because they lacked legitimacy. Gotta get back to that point.

3 Likes

For me that is much worse than anything trump ever did. At least he never gave gave orders to murder someone as far as I know.