Amanda Nunes won't fight at the UFC's proposed card on May 9

Originally published at Amanda Nunes won't fight at the UFC's proposed card on May 9

The UFC’s proposed super card for May 9th will have one less champion available with Amanda Nunes stating she will not be fighting Felicia Spencer on that day.

In an interview with Brian Campbell of CBS Sports, and the women’s featherweight and bantamweight champion revealed the date was too soon to get properly prepared and noted the timing with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Nunes is seeking a full training camp before she fights Spencer. Nunes said training has been limited at American Top Team in Florida:

It’s not many people, just me and a couple guys that are going to be on the same card as me. We all have separate training with just me and my coach, one on one. I keep in shape like that. I go to the gym only one time in the morning and do everything. I do a couple of things by myself and some things that I need a coach. Then I come home, and I really do everything I need to keep in shape. I have a treadmill and some weights.

The two were scheduled to fight on that date at UFC 250 in Sao Paulo, Brazil prior to the worldwide pandemic and the UFC re-shuffling its schedule of fight cards.

Nunes’ trainer Dan Lambert informed ESPN that Nunes was also dealing with a minor injury.

Opponent Felicia Spencer told the same outlet she has been told to be ready for June, so she is not expected to fight on the proposed card in May.

The UFC has stated its intention to run on May 9th with UFC president listing off potential fights for the card including Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje for the interim lightweight title and a bantamweight title fight between Henry Cejudo and Dominick Cruz.

On Monday, the UFC officially canceled events that had been announced for April 25th in Nebraska, May 2nd in Oklahoma City, May 9th in Sao Paulo, and May 16th in San Diego. In the UFC’s announcement, they specifically said the shows in Nebraska and Oklahoma City were ‘canceled’ rather than ‘postponed’. The shows in Sao Paulo and San Diego were said to ‘not continue as planned’ with the UFC ‘looking forward to returning with an event in the near future’.