ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Wai, do your parents understand what you and John do for a living? Or do they think this little wrestling thing you guys do is a hobby and are waiting for you to find a “real” job? I’m curious because I don’t know if my parents would understand.

1. If you had to pick between these 2 options, what would you rather have in a pro wrestling product; dynamic, well-written storylines with poor to average match quality or awfully written storylines with excellent match quality?

2. Are there any wrestling podcasts you guys listen to outside of the Post Wrestling umbrella?

Where do you see MMA in 5 years? Can it get back to its 2009 glory? Or will it be like WWF in 1995/1996 ?

I’ve got a wrestling question for both of you and a Riverdale question for John…

If you guys were to start up the POST Wrestling Federation and had to build your company around 1 heel and 1 face, who would be the 2 wrestlers that you choose?(You can choose from any wrestler in the world, but no one who has been a world champion in WWE, NJPW or Impact)

John, who is your favorite Riverdale character? Also, Betty or Veronica?

1 Like

For Wai,

Any spoilery thoughts on Black Panther?

Hey guys, do you think wwe are being a little too over ambitious with the reporting, that they are looking to run a show in a 100000 seat stadium in Melbourne Australia. they will be lucky to sell half the capacity in my opinion discuss

1 Like

Since the UFC’s TV contract is running out soon and they’re looking for the biggest money offer possible, why don’t they load up the FOX shows?

The ratings are seemingly getting worse and worse and it’s not like they’re putting on enticing match-ups, but the audience just doesn’t tune in. No, they are putting random match-ups like Jacare-Brunson or Emmett-Stephens on there. Compared to the early FOX shows where you had title fights or very interesting match-ups (Lawler-Brown for example), there is nothing special to those shows anymore. How is the UFC trying to get a big money by doing such things?

1 .Is there any chance of getting JEFF MAREK on a show for an interview or even Rewind a Wai review? I started listening to the LAW when Jeff was on the show and Ive always been curious to know If he still follows the product. Now that your affiliation with TSN has ended, is this possible?

1. Idea for a Patreon exclusive: John and Wai play and review wrestling video games. An UpUpDownDown style of video while you guys play the games im sure most patrons here have enjoyed. Imagine playing through WWE No Mercy with John and Wai create a wrestlers as you progress along the story mode one cheap count out victory at a time
1 Like

Outside of the wrestling that you guys watch for reviews, what other promotions do you keep up to date with regularly?

Do you think today’s style of wrestling is getting too dangerous? New Japan sometimes gets hard to watch with the unnecessary risks some of the stars take. They want to make things more hard hitting and Shibata is a prime example of that…and now is unable to wrestle after that headbutt. I see nothing wrong with chops to the chest but the headbutts and top rope dragon suplexes are starting to be as hard to watch as an unprotected chair shot.

1 Like

Do you guys ever see Wrestlemania moving back to a smaller arena versus a stadium?

1. Has your opinion on Naito losing at WK12 changed?

2. New Japan Cup winner predictions?

Recently in the UK we’ve been seeing more and more intergender matches and even whole shows dedicated to the format. I personally really enjoy them when done well. What are your thoughts and do you see WWE embracing intergender matches at any point in the future?

For Ask A Wai: if you could take one WWE superstar from the past (alive or dead) and one today from the current roster and put them in the main event at Wrestlemania for the WWE Title, who would you pick and book to win?

With the CSAC punishing Jon Jones with 200k fine and revoking his MMA license, it appears as though Jones may be able to reapply to for his license in August, and pending the results of the USADA trial he could return to action later this year.

If that’s the case, and Jones receives a retroactive one year suspension, do you think that’s a good result for the sport? On one hand, Jones is an amazing fighter and a genuine star that MMA needs right now, but on the other hand this man has made countless poor decisions in the past few years, and it feels as though if Jon’s given yet another chance, it will look VERY bad for the sport, letting this man with multiple failed drug tests and his numerous outside of the octagon controversies off the hook once more.

Sorry for the long question.

With the recent injury to Beretta and still using him for the Honor rising card and the announcement of the rushed return of Tanahashi. what is your take with New Japan and its history of rushing back performers before they are ready? especially with a roster as deep as NJPW.

Also, with Undertaker rumors for this wrestlemania pretty much squashed and it sounding like a strong possibility That The undertaker career is complete. When Taker gets the HOF nod, will he receive the Honor of being the single entry of that year?

I think it goes without saying that the current WWE roster is probably the most talented roster they’ve ever had, from an athletic ability stand point. However, more than ever it feels like the in-ring product is stale and incredibly one dimensional. You can tell exactly when commercial breaks are coming for the weekly programming and PPV matches have been reduced a formula it seems; mostly in that matches are filled with lots of high spots followed by prolonged resting. There doesn’t feel like there is a good story telling moment to the matches anymore. Even with the great Almas & Gargano match there were still many moments of very WWE like spots w/rests. This may be too much generalizing, but the current WWE product feels like a glorified indy match now. This isn’t even getting into how for all the accolades being thrown at the womens division, the wide gulf between the main roster in-ring talent. There seems to be 3, maybe 4, really good women and then a lot of just ‘ok’ ones.

This is also fully over looking how much WWE is about building people around signature entrances and in-ring power build ups like they’re DBZ characters.

So I guess my question is, how do you think WWE can begin to better improve the in-ring product and really help to elevate the stories being told? How can a company with so much good talent still be so rudimentary in the ring? Do you think WWE will ever go back to building stories around total packages instead of doing so much heavy handed promos, interruptions, and multi-person matches; I really miss the old days when they could build a story without having people face each other 30 times in a month.

With the recent influx of talent in NXT, do you think a mid-card title or regular slot for the UK championship is needed?

1 Like

With the brand splits becoming stale, what would you think if the WWE followed other sports formulas? For example the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL, they have a regular season with teams split into conferences (Smackdown = Eastern Conference, RAW = Western Conference) they have matches/regular season games on their respective TV shows with only their Roster. These matches are announced far ahead of time like a season schedule, enough of these spontaneous matches after promos. Each match counts towards their regular season record leading to rankings and shots at their brands respective titles at their next ppv. You could emphasize divisions with in the conference such as tag team divisions, mid card divisions, women’s, even 205 division and of course heavey wieght. Then for the PPVs you would do championship matches for their respective brands and interleague play for non title matches where the members from each roster would compete against each other within their divisions. It would all conclude at WrestleMania aka Superbowl where the champions (tag team, us, intercontinental, women’s etc…) from each brand would square off against each other. This way you keep the brands separate like conferences in sports where interleague only happens once in a while and the best from each conference/brand face off at your biggest show. Right now the championships are so devalued anyway does it matter if they are defended at WrestleMania. We should just get the Marquee/best matches for that show to make a real “WrestleMania Moment”!

Imran from Huddersfield

Two questions for you guys

1. How come you guys never talk about Toronto’s current successful sports team - MLS Champs Toronto FC!?

2. Who out of you two is better at the following games/sports

• Bowling
  • Pool
  • Table Tennis
  • Chess
  • A general knowledge quiz.