ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

First time commenter. Long time listener/patreoner(sorry for month i let it lapse though). I could ask you the rare asked questions you never get asked like finishing movea, matches, ect but ill save that for another time.

I know Cody has been adamant against AEW not doing a show during Wrestlemania weekend in the same city as it is their weekend. However what do you think chances of them running a show in Jacksonville on the wednesday before people get into orlando proper? Technically its not in Orlando and they could spin it as being in their home while also getting some of the traveling in crew on the way(if my geography is wrong and those two are nowhere near each other this may also be a bad question)

Mahmood from Bahrain:

hey guys two more questions from me:

1. What is the reason for Brock still wrestling exclusively on PPVs? Given that the companies revenue model has shifted from relying on PPV buys/network subscriptions to tv ratings and deals it does not make sense to me for the company to only have him wrestle on network shows. I feel like him wrestling on the network will do nothing to change subscribers but him wrestling on tv can actually increase ratings a little bit.

2. Off-topic but what is the worst vacation you guys have been on?

Chris Thunder from Down Under.

With XFL 2020 only a few months away will you be watching or attending any games? Also, were you watching XFL 2001 at the time & what were your thoughts?

As an Australian I honestly can’t remember watching any of XFL 2001, but I’m going to give XFL 2020 a chance, provided it’s available to view here (legally).

Kevin Pryznyk first time long time

Is there anyone you two would want to do a podcast with who you have not done one with yet.
The one I always want to happen that never worked out was a review a wai podcast with court bauer and
alex greenfield review a ppv they both worked on

1 Like

Chris from Melbourne, with the monthly music question…

The Mountain Goats have an excellent wrestling-themed album called ‘Beat the Champ’.

Some songs are about specific wrestlers and moments in their lives, such as Chavo Guerrero Sr, Luna Vachon, Bruiser Brody, and Bull Ramos. Others are songs with topics like a beloved territory babyface turning heel and wondering if he’ll survive the backlash, or a wrestler losing a hair match.

It’s treated seriously and works wayyy better than I ever thought it would.

Have you guys ever listened to this album? What do you think of the concept?

Paul from New Jersey

Strangers wrestler interaction?

Have you met any of the OSW guys in person? I found the LAW through that show. Great guys.

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

Sorry that this is a bit long - but hopefully its worthwhile.

Over the recent months there’s been a lot of talk over here about racism in football (soccer) and what protocol players should follow if/when they’re subjected to racist abuse from large sections of the stadium - which happened recently and notably in a game that England had in Bulgaria.

UEFA currently have in place a 3 point plan, which involves first informing the referee, then stopping the play and warning the crowd to stop, and then if it continues, walking off the pitch and potentially calling off the game - and it’s got to the point now where some are suggesting that players need to move straight to walking off the pitch to make statement that such behaviour is unacceptable.

Now i’m not saying something that bad would ever happen at a Wrestling event, but as idiots exist and with wrestling these days being a melting pot of different genders,race and religion - What do you think the plan of action is or should be for wrestlers if receive that kind of abuse from the audience? Would they be entitled to stop what they’re doing / break kayfabe to sort the problem out? or do you think they’d just be expected to work through it? Bit of a loaded question but would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Ryan from New York

Hello gentlemen,
I’m gearing up to give a best man speech and was curious if you guys have any tips on handling nerves on public speaking whether it be for the live shows or before a big interview. Thanks for all the hard work!

ramen or pho? thanks.

Chris from Cork

Let’s assume that for the next year, the current NXT/AEW ratings trends stay roughly the same. By that I mean AEW might win one week, NXT the next, total viewers for both shows combined is around 1.5 million. Would it make sense, in a year, for AEW to move to Monday or Friday and compete with Raw or Smackdown instead of NXT? I ask because currently, I watch NXT and AEW but have no interest in Raw or Smackdown, and I wonder how many others might feel the same. Could a move to Monday or Friday actually increase the number of people watching AEW? I know it didn’t work for TNA, but they did have a woeful product by comparison, and Raw wasn’t as terrible then as it is now.

2 Likes

Not a question…but just wanted the mention that I think everyone should listen to the ‘Toronto Miked’ Podcast episode with the 2 of you.
What a great podcast - How much great free stuff did you both get - how was the lasagna?
Really fun listen, I think fans should check it out.

1 Like

Here’s the scenario:

A film company gave you a huge budget to make a documentary film about a person in the wrestling business. That person can be a wrestler, promoter, booker, manager, etc.

The only guideline is you can’t choose a household name known to non-wrestling fans like Hogan or Macho Man, and you can’t choose someone who casual wrestling fans would probably be very familiar with.

Who do you make your documentary about?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Love your shows. Thanks for everything you do. 2 part question:

Do you think that in 2020 there’s any way to get over a “Savage from Parts Unknown” style gimmick? Growing up I really loved those type of Kamala/Umaga characters, but it seems like at this point that ship has sailed.

And related to that, how would you book an “unstoppable monster” type character? I think most it us would agree that early 90s Undertaker sitting up after devastating moves was great. So why does The Fiend doing the same thing feel so lame?

With all the talk of prospective talents leaving WWE for AEW, which talents could you see leaving AEW to sign with WWE down the road? Also besides WrestleKingdom and other wrestling events, what are you guys most excited about in regards to your trip to Japan? I went last year to Tokyo for the Dome Show and had an amazing time and hope you guys have an awesome trip!

When do you see Toronto getting a NJPW show? And would you rather it be a G1 or a show like Royal Quest?

Favourite year of wrestling in the 2010’s?

Tyler from Orlando,

Hey guys, most people could probably agree that the top 2 wrestlers in New Japan are Okada & Kota Ibushi. Who is the 3rd best & why is it Tama Tonga?

1 Like

Greetings,

Hope you guys had a fantastic holiday? I just had a question. Do you think that something like announcing the main event of the next PPV on the night of a PPV or on backstage would be something that would benefit the WWE, similar to the way UFC does announce their cards?

To save on space I had another question would you guys prefer and or would the WWE considering scrapping the b-level ppvs and transition them over to make them raw and smackdown editions to boost a ratings in the future? I feel like b level PPVs are very skippable at best and would provide a boost to a rating for Raw or Smackdown.

Anyway have an awesome 2020 and thank you,
Jordan

David from Washington

Roman Reigns winning the 2015 Rumble was obviously highly disliked by a vast majority of fans. In hindsight do you two have any ideas on how they could’ve made that work short of Daniel Bryan not being around? Or was it just doomed to fail because everybody in that crowd wanted anybody but Roman to win?

Alex From Minneapolis

2 Questions

1. What would you guys pinpoint as the biggest differences of Gabe Sapolsky’s Booking style between his 02-08 ROH run and what hes done with Evolve/DGUSA?

2. Do you guys think WWE made a mistake in having Corey Graves replace JBL in 2017 and having him on both Raw and SD? up to that point he was recieving rave reviews but once the switch happened it felt as though he was overexposed and a tired voice on both brands

Charly from Maryland

Hey guys, Quick question. What are John Cena’s top 3 rivalries?
For me, it was Punk Vs Cena, Edge vs Cena, and AJ Styles vs Cena.

Thanks guys for your hard work and happy holidays!