ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Alexander from Portland

Last year I traveled internationally for the first time because of work, taking me out to Montreal.

1. I’ve seen websites that say the city is pronounced either MON-treal or MUN-treal. Is the pronunciation a deal any?
  2. What are your individual thoughts about the city? Does Montreal have any stereotypes specific to Canada?
  3. As Canadians, what are your thoughts on French Canada? I’ve heard from so many people, Canadian and non, that say French Canadians are generally more difficult to deal with. Has that been your experience?
  4. I haven’t traveled as much as many others, but I’d say Montreal was the most beautiful city I’ve visited. From the architecture to Mount Royal, the street decorations to the geography and layout of the city. What would be your short list for the most beautiful Canadian cities to visit?

thanks!

Imran from Huddersfield

What’s the deal with WWE Films/Studios these days? Do they still create any projects alone, or do they just co-fund projects with other studios now? Is it a very profitable division?

Also would you have been interested to see WWE go even MORE cinematic with some of these matches? For some reason when they initially announced the Money In the Bank match at the WWE HQ, I imagined in my head they would shoot it like a movie… something like Mortal Kombat meets The Raid… with different cuts/lighting/direction etc. instead of your typical WWE backstage filming.

1 Like

Bruce from Vancouver,

I know that you guys have some great childhood memories of the Jays’ World Series wins. Any thoughts on Montreal’s dearly departed Expos? Were you saddened that the '94 strike stifled any chance of a Canadian three-peat, or did you view the Expos as inter-league, inter-provincial rivals? Any favourite memories or players associated with the team? Pedro, Guerrero, Walker, Raines…Youppi?

1 Like

Brandon from Oshawa

Do you think WWE could have gotten away with a Eugene heel turn, where he revealed that he was just faking it the whole time? I dont remember if there were reports that this was a possible direction, or just speculation on a forum that I visited at the time, but could it have worked or would there have been too much backlash?

1 Like

Given your Marvel franchise reviews, I think this story would tickle you guys,

The Marvel advertisements for KNULL IS COMING has been met with laughter here in Sweden, since Knull , pronounced as it’s spelt with the hard K in the beginning, literally transliterates to “fuck” or “fucking” in a noun form. This made me think back to when the car Honda Fit was going to be launched as Honda Fitta back in the days, which literally would transliterate to Honda Cunt. That fiasco led to the car being known as Honda Jazz in Europe.

With this, I’d like to ask you: Do you have anything that was imported, or something foreign attempted to be established in Canada/GTA, but failed due to a bad transliteration, or a bad translation that would lead to a something very inappropriate?

1 Like

Do either of you have any plants or a garden? Being home for the past few months I decided to plant some vegetables and am relying on the internet for tips on what to do… any help?

1 Like

Ari from Montreal
Do u think a gimmick belt would work in mma?
Recently have seen people talk about the BME belt being a different belt?
Would u guys think it would add a novelty and add to any card tht might not have a big fight attach to it? The BME being a strikers belt for instance or an open weight title?
Because fighters only fight a couple of times a year would it still keep tht novelty and it doesnt become a 24/7 title?

Anthony in Detroit

I have family that lives in Vaughan and I have been to Wonderland numerous times. Have you ever been there and if so what are your favorite rides? As you have grown older, do you still enjoy those rides?

1 Like

Following the question about office space that annoyed you…

Have you asked a wrestler or fighter a question that has offended them or caused a difficult interview?

1 Like

I remember on the Law when Mouth asked Flair about who was up and coming in the industry (I think that was the question) and that caused Flair to storm out lol.

Also that happened to Mouth when he laughed at Sid thinking he could make a giant comeback at Wrestlemania lol.

2 Likes

MMA question relating to the first UFC Fight Island card, With the last minute replacement of Masvidal wouldnt it of been logistically more reasonable to have Usman and Jorge fight in Las Vegas? This specific fight could very well take place at the Apex performance center. One of the reasons to have fight island was to accommodate the international fighters who couldnt fly into the US, With both fighters being flown to Vegas to administer the first covid test, flying to another part of the world to have this fight seems to just add extra steps for both fighters. The only logistical barrier i can think of is a time zone issue, where as the main event fight doesnt start at an unreasonable time. Thoughts?

I may be wrong here but I have some memory of review an impact where you guys would call generation me Matt and Jeff (like jokingly calling them Hardys) instead of the names they went by. Did you then at that time think the young bucks would be where they are now?

-Dan in Chicago
Since Shane McMahon has been off TV I heard that he has returned to working backstage with the WWE. Do you have any idea what his role is like with the company now and if he plans to be there long term? Keep up the great shows.
-Thanks

John, have you heard any updates on how well Dynamite is doing on TSN? I watch every week from TSN.ca on my computer so I can take notes simultaneously, as I’ve been jumping on my friends podcast to give a weekly recap, so would my online view get counted?

2 Likes

Branavan from Ajax/ Bruhavan from Youtube:

In the spirit of your (at the time) upcoming Pro Wrestling Noah Destiny review my question is: What do you think was the reason that no one on the Noah roster ever reached the star power of Misawa, Kobashi, etc? Was it Misawa’s booking or fans just not getting behind other wrestlers? Or something else?

Or if you guys talked about that in the review, my alternate question is: What are your favorite Japanese backstage wrestling stories?

Thanks for all of the great podcasts.

He did turn heel, he was at the One Night Stand 2006 show and got mad the fans were booing him because he was “special”. He was then beaten up by Sandman.

Having just listened to your interview with Emily Pratt, and hearing her discuss how a lot of these allegations were well known in the industry, were there people named that didn’t surprise you, and are there others who you’re surprised were not included?

I’m not asking for you to name and shame, I’m aware of defamation laws and also that you don’t report unsubstantiated rumours.

Thanks.

1 Like

Interesting. I think I vaguely remember that. But he never said he was faking though, did he? Anytime after that?

1 Like

Dustin from Maui

What’s your opinion on Sanada? He has the look and wrestling technique to put him up there as one of the top guys in NJPW. In my opinion, he would’ve been a more fittingly antagonist to LIJ. But I feel like he lacks something that keeps him from being within the same tier as Okada, Tanahashi, and Naito.

Thanks again guys.

1 Like

Hiroshi Tanahashi is in a very different situation than the other New Japan dads of the Third Generation, who for many reasons often beyond their control, never reached the heights expected of them.

Tanahashi basically saved the company from its lowest point. And back in the 90s, Fujinami and Choshu both got main event spots at ages older than Tanahashi is now. Even Keiji Muto’s last IWGP title reign that he dropped to Tanahashi came at the age of 46.

Do you expect a different final years run for Tanahashi compared to other older wrestlers in the company?

1 Like