ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Hello gentlemen,

I’m sorry if you’ve been asked this, but I’m wondering about your trip over to Tokyo this past January. Prior to the pandemic I had a pretty extensive trip planned through Asia, specifically Japan. I really enjoyed seeing parts of your trip and I was just wondering if you have any advice for a Canadian travelling to the area?
The food looked incredible.
Thank you in advance and thank you for the great content!

1 Like

Do you see NXT being a part of an upcoming draft? If so, who from the Raw and Smackdown rosters would you move?

Fairus from Malaysia

Who are your frontrunners so far for Wrestler of the Year and Promotion of the Year?

Brandon from Oshawa

Who has been more impressive to you guys in their in-ring performances, Stephen Amell or Pat McAfee?

Jesse à MTL

John, I’m reeling from the news that you’re on pace to read 50+ books this year. Last year I read 14 books and was quite pleased with myself. This year, my reading has fallen off a cliff (on book # 5 right now). And I don’t even have a kid! How do you do it? Do you read at a certain time every day? Do you devote eight hours a weekend to reading? Can you speedread? What’s your secret??

Take Care

I know this is probably a hard question to answer as we do not know where COVID will be tomorrow let alone two months from now. With the emergence of outdoor/drive in shows becoming a very popular thing on the independance since a sort of soft return to doing shows after restrictions, what are some of ideas you guys have if any to how some of these promotions may survive with the weather getting cold and with restrictions possibly getter stricter was a second wave is possible and almost guaranteed?

Any thoughts on the new wandavision trailer?

1 Like

I’m not an NJPW fan – and while I sometimes download your G-1 shows to check in, I skip most of the content.

Without giving numbers away – would you discuss how the downloads compare to your other Patreon shows such as Rewind-a-Smackdown – as well as what you perceive to be the interest in Japanese wrestling compared to US-based products among your audience?

1 Like

Even if the pandemic were to end tomorrow, do you think what New Japan has been doing with NJPW Strong is a much better strategy for a U.S. expansion then trying to run full tours?

And when you do run a big U.S. show like Wrestle Dynasty, you can use the angles and rivalries developed on Strong to fill the undercard on that show while still having the major talent on top.

Thanks!

I just finished reading Lizzy Goodman’s Meet Me in the Bathroom, an incredibly researched oral history about the NYC indie rock scene from 2001-2011. I believe Wai read it so I was curious on his general thoughts about the book? My main takeaways are that The Strokes sure had to deal with a lot, and I would never want to hang out with LCD Soundsystem’s James Murphy.

Also, if the two of you were to read an oral history about any particular period in pro wrestling/combat sports, what would you want it to be about? For me, it would be incredible to have an oral history with all the major players from FMW - although sadly Hayabusa and Shoichi Arai are no longer with us - or Pancrase.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Hi, John, I read one of us is lying on your recommendation, thanks, have you read the sequel, one of us is next?

Also, you seem to have a really broad taste in books, do you have any recommendations, I particularly like crime fiction? I’d highly recommend, the other people and the guest list from my recent reads.

Thanks.

1 Like

So Alexa Bliss’s podcast dropped today.
Needless to say it’s not good. (The production itself is surprisingly poor)
I very rarely listen to wrestlers podcasts but it got me thinking,
You guys rarely if ever interview wrestlers, is it a road you’ll ever go down again or do you find it more hassle then it’s worth?

Cheers!

1 Like

Since Post Wrestling’s birth, I noticed two voices disappeared - Court Bauer & Jason Agnew. I’m assuming Jason is affiliated with the Live Audio Wrestling, and Court is running MLW, but I’m shocked they haven’t even had a guest spot on any shows. It may have been last Christmas where it was glaring that Mouth was on but not Jason.

My question: Is it by design these two haven’t been on your podcasts or is this legit purely “scheduling” issues? I ask because I remember you guys had a “friend” who you revealed one day didn’t want to be mentioned on the podcasts again years ago, but this seems different, and just hasn’t been alluded to on an audio basis. In the event this may have been discussed in your first few months of Post Wrestling, can you please disclose the reasoning again? I personally enjoyed Bauer & Pollock, and hated Agnew’s opinions but loved hearing you guys talk about it with him.

Thank you.

Anthony in Detroit

What would the arena reaction be to Retribution if fans were allowed in? Would fans cheer because Retribution is anti Raw and Raw on most weeks is bad? Would they get booed? Crickets when they show up? Chant their NXT names during promos?

Keep up the great work. Your podcasts get my workdays off to a great start.

1 Like

Branavan From Ajax:

When do you guys think was the point of no return for World Class?

Thanks!

John and Wai have mentioned that they do not wish to talk about this.

Two very different questions.

Firstly, I LOVED John on the Fishbulb podcast and Braden and Davie’s episode 0. Have you considered doing more in depth interviews on your site with Wai, WH, N8, ect. ? I love you guys as wrestling reporters but love you even more so as people. Sure others would agree.

Secondly, are you familiar with the concept of relegation in sport? Very popular in Europe but North America. Do you think it should be introduced in the G1 to help tell compelling stories for individuals. For example the bottom two finishers from each bloke are band from competing next year. I think it would make the last day of matches much more compelling.

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

How much value do you place in impartiality in reporting/journalism? How do you feel about getting news from left/right leaning sources, and how much importance do you place in not showing bias in your own work? Obviously there will be some inherent bias as you’re largely stating your personal opinions on things, but how good do you think you are at being able to judge wrestlers/matches fairly even if you don’t particularly enjoy the participants involved? (for what its worth, I’d say you’re both very fair!)

1 Like

Chris Thunder from Down Under

I’m not a fan of NXT’s gymicked gymick matches.

A 4-way 60-minute iron man match.

A 5-man Gauntlant Elininator match.

Personally what are your thoughts on these stipulations on top of stipulation matches?

1 Like

Was watching some old Nitro and they advertised the Boston Brawl in 1998 as an IPPV. I’m not sure if I misheard but I swear Schiavone said this was a ‘listen-in event’…

Do you know how this was received at the time? When did Internet PPV’s start to really gain traction?

Keep up the good work!

Dan from London

1 Like