ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Mark from Mozambique (via Kuwait)

Tony Khan is part of the ownership team of the soccer team Fulham (pronounced Ful-hum) FC in the English Premier League. They have been bang average for the last 3-4 years and seem unable to stick a coherent team together. This is down to Tony Khan’s style which uses statistical models to scout and acquire players. This has led to a huge amount of turn over and very little growth from the team because there’s never enough time to gel together the players and build a unit. Khan has a poor reputation and even had his own manager criticise him after he apologised to the fans for a poor performance without consulting the head coach.

Taking this reputation into account, how does this potentially affect AEW? We do see a lot of roster turnover and outside of a select 10-12 wrestlers the roster seems a bit transient. This might also transfer to the lack of stories in the women’s division for example where nothing seems to stick. Could it be said that Tony Khan’s approach might have problems in the longer term? Is this a fair criticism in professional wrestling or is it comparing apples and oranges?

1 Like

Hey guys, Thomas from Vancouver

Do you see any wrestlers on the WWE roster that have the potential to reach the levels of Austin/Rock/Cena?

As the media landscape ha shifted since the WWE has had a star of that calibar created (Cena in 2005) do they have to change there mindset of how to promote a Superstar to reach that level of stardom?

Anthony from Detroit

Congratulations Jon on the birth of your daughter!

I recently finished watched the original saved by the bell series with my kids. My question for both of you is what tv series from your childhood do you look forward to sharing with your kids, nieces, nephews, etc.

Have a great Christmas and thank you for your entertaining shows.

1 Like

On a recent Rewind-A-Dynamte, John mentioned that nobody has been squandered more in recent years than Daniel Bryan / Brian Danielson, since coming back to WWE post-injury.

With his contract allegedly expiring in fall 2021, do you see Bryan leaving WWE and possibly heading to AEW.

He’s stated on multiple times his time as a full-timer in WWE is done. AEW has more or less been providing a much easier schedules for talent and one that somebody with a young family would have a much easier time with.

Bryan has shown many times that he is motivated by different challenges, and to me, coming into a new company full of new faces would certainly be that.

The only strike against this idea is that his family has become pretty tied to the WWE machine.

Thoughts?

1 Like

Brandon from Oshawa

What are your thoughts on a Nitro themed episode of Raw? We’ve seen the success of AEWs themed shows and NXT even going to the WCW names with success. A Nitro theme would seem like a no brainer to pop a rating on a Monday night. Is the original Nitro set something that they would have gotten with their purchase of the company?

Fairus from Malaysia,

Do you see AEW Dynamite beating RAW in key demo ratings come 2021 based on the trends of past weeks shows?

Before you had to watch wrestling as part of your jobs were there any particularly awful angles, matches or just booking directions of a company that caused you to step back from watching wrestling for any length of time?

Thanks!

1 Like

I got back into wrestling after hearing about the Wrestle Kingdom 11 main event. This lead me down a rabbit hole ending with finding the LAW and becoming a fan of the wide world of wrestling. Much like all of us I was sad to see LAW cancelled but am happy to see all doing well. I know you guys are all doing your seperate things but I would love to see a mini reunion with the four of you guys. Even just a cameo during the Holiday show. Love you all.

Replying to Mark_kuwait
Fulham did just hold the champions, Liverpool, to a draw. They look good now! Maybe Big Tone knows what he’s doing after all?

Jordan from Kitchener,

Are there any plans to have John and his significant other doing the occasional review of a TV show or movie as Wai and his partner do for Total Bellas?

Happy holidays, guys! Keep up the great content, and it’s worth the price of admission.

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi Guys,

As journalists whose shows (constructively) critique and analyze content regularly, how do you feel about feedback and critiques of your own content? I know from twitter and apple podcasts reviews that you guys are sometimes subject to pretty shallow and unfair criticism about things like negativity against WWE, your preambles during shows, etc., but can you think any examples of constructive criticism that either gave you pause for thought, or resulted in you changing anything about your approach or your shows?

Hey guys, love the show and all other shows on the Patreon, happy to be a subscriber!

Unsure when this will get answered but I would love to know your thoughts on Atsushi Onita. He’s certainly one of the most influential and (in)famous personalities of the 90s, and his story from Giant Baba’s young boy to FMW booker to a political career is extremely wild.

1 Like

To whom this may be relevant:

Who is your favourite member of the On Cinema Family (excluding host Tim Heidecker and regular guest Gregg Turkington), and why? What are some overall thoughts on the show and the world they have built?

1 Like

Nic from Chatham,

The MCU has established that time and intergalactic travel is possible. With Disney owning both the MCU and Star Wars, how long do you think before we see a crossover?

Wai, I’ve noticed from Twitter interactions that you are also a fellow film buff and fan of the wild world of the On Cinema Universe. Are you a gregghead or timhead? I, for one am looking forward to the true Oscar special, the Our Cinema Special.

Sorry for making you have to explain this stupidity.

1 Like

Hahaha. Great minds think alike.

2 Likes

Rob from Saskatoon

Will there ever be a Wingmen reunion podcast? What was your favorite Wingmen memory? Which of the Wingmen do you still keep in touch with?

Hey guys, this is Miguel from South Central

Do you know what happened with the Ruthless Aggression series on the WWE Network? After the last episode aired, clips were shown of the second part of the series set to be released in the Fall of 2020. With 2020 over there hasn’t been any mention of the series.

1 Like

Steve from BC

Hey guys, awesome job on the christmas show this year. It may have been your best one yet!

Question: With the rumors that WWE wants to hold their Hall of Fame ceremony this year, what do you think of the idea of the inductees giving their speeches spread out over weeks of Raw? With the dwindling ratings lately it gives them an excuse to bring in a different legend/legends every week to give them a bit of a bump. And it would give the viewers a bit of a change in the format, making it less of a chore that watching Raw has become.

I spent the last week of 2020 watching The Karate Kid Parts 1-3, and even watched the Next Karate Kid with Hillary Swank to get an extra Mr, Miyagi-fix. The rest of the week I watched seasons 1-2 of Cobra Kai, and then season 3 came out on Friday, January 1st. It’s spectacular. It perfectly represents the movies with a mix of the cast’s kids and their friends that really makes you care about all the characters involved. It even uses flashbacks to the movie, that perfectly fit and don’t feel at all forced. It allows Pat Morita to be a part of the show in very emotional ways. Have you guys ever seen the Karate Kid movies, and have you watched any of Cobra Kai? Bonsai!

1 Like