ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

I speak on behalf of all non-North American subscribers when I say “no thank you” :joy:

3 Likes

Thoughts on celebrating the birthdays/death days of those who have passed away? Today is Gorilla Monsoon’s and it feels weird seeing a post about how old he WOULD have been. As well, what is the accepted cut off date to stop celebrating? For example, Abraham Lincoln would be about 212 years old as he was born in 1809. Next year should I celebrate his 213th birthday?

Brandon from Caledonia

I know it may be difficult to narrow it down on the spot but what are your top 3 favourite Jeff Jarrett matches?

Fingers crossed, if Tokyo does go ahead with the Olympics in July, are you guys gonna check out some of the events? Do you guys traditionally watch the Summer Olympics now and then and which events do you both usually watch?

When raw comes back for renegotiations is it possible that the networks could take the third hour off the table?

What was the worst telling off you got from your parents that you remember? and what was it you did to deserve it? Were you naughty and mischievous as children? John we’ve all heard the stories about you killing tamagotchis when you was at school!! :rofl:

Thanks Carl.

Vince from Folsom, CA

What are your guys thoughts on if it’s actually a possibility that AEW could ever one day dethrone WWE as the Number 1 promotion in the world? Or do you guys feel WWE is “untouchable” in this regard? Does the rumors of a potential WWE sale have any bearings on this in your opinion?

Also, quick question for you guys, what is your second favorite coffee place after Tim Horton’s?

Thanks for all your guys hard work!

Anthony from Detroit.

Bigger NXT call up disappointment, Keith Lee or Rhea Ripley? Keith was up for a cup of coffee and Rhea has been a victim of bad creative since day 1. Which one has the brighter future on the main roster?

Cheers!

Chris from Melbourne here, saying congratulations on the fantastic interview with Bryan Fogel about the Dissident.

My question is, at any point before or after the interview, did Bryan ever say something to the degree of “wait, so you guys are a pro-wrestling site?”

(doesn’t need to be read, but in case the tone of my question is unclear, I’m wondering if he came into it expecting a general chat about WWE in Saudi Arabia, only to be presented with a serious, sincere and professional interview. In any case, I’m hoping the achievements like this continue to stack up and POST Wrestling becomes known outside of the wrestling bubble as an outlet for high quality, serious interviews such as that.)

Brandon from Oshawa

Would it surprise you guys if Bray Wyatt were released? How much more can they possibly do with this guy, before they feel it is time to cut bait? He came in as a cult leader, somehow gained supernatural powers and now his gimmick has pretty much been given to a female performer. I dont see how he can just show back up as The Fiend character and another gimmick would feel like the final nail in the coffin.

Roy from Rhode Island

What are your opinions on what Wade Barrett’s ceiling as a wrestler in WWE was? For me, he was a great talker, had a good look, was solid in-ring, and was one of the few people who managed to get real majority heel heat against John Cena. He even managed to get a second wind with the Bad News gimmick, but the company never seemed to be fully behind him as a top guy.

Apologies for such a serious question, but always interested in your thoughts and feelings. I’m writing this after the horrific story of unmarked graves at former indigenous boarding schools in British Columbia came out: Canada's Victoria cancels national day celebration after discovery of unmarked burial site | Reuters

I’ve been very naive about Canada’s history with indigenous and First Nations people, only really learning about it in the past few years. Is this history something that you were taught growing up, and to what extent did you have to undergo your own education?

Thank you for all that you do.

2 Likes

Branavan From Ajax:

My question(s) this month has to do with wrestling television in Japan, which is why does/did it air so late in Japan? I read that an Onita vs Muta match aired at 2:25am Japanese time and did extremely well. What’s up with that? Did Japanese wrestling ever air at a godly hour? And did the major promotions (AJPW, AJW, NJPW, Noah etc) deal with issues pertaining to such a schedule? Thanks!

Imran from Huddersfield

With Floyd Mayweather being firmly in the “stunt fight” game , are you surprised that he hasn’t made a return to WWE for a match, and do you see it as something that might happen in the not too distance future? How does his match with Big Show hold up today, considering the standard of celebrity matches we’ve had over recent years?

1 Like

Since AEW is instantly the #2 promotion in the world and still riding a wave, and since both Mania and Wrestle Kingdom seem to be staying as two-night affairs, do you think AEW can successfully do a doubleheader-night for one of their PPVs like All Out or DoN?

If they have Rampage on Friday and All Out on Sunday, for example, doesn’t it only make sense to have a Saturday card to take advantage of the traveling fans who should be mostly vaccinated? And even if there’s not enough feuds to build up two PPV cards, I think a Brodie Lee tribute card with a lot of Dark Order involvement and a joshi tag to celebrate Hana could really work and create a celebratory atmosphere.

Anyway, regardless of my own booking, do you guys think AEW could or should make one of their PPVs a two-night affair like the #1 and #3 companies have with Mania and Wrestle Kingdom, respectively??

What’s the deal with Brock Lesnar and the UFC? Are talks between them done? Is a potential fight with Jon Jones scrapped? Is Lesnar still in the USADA testing pool?

Speaking of Jon Jones, who do you see his first opponent at Heavyweight being?

1 Like

Brett from Vancouver

First off, great content as always guys, I’ve been a listener for years, I have episodes of yours on my phone from months and months ago that I kinda binge when I have time or need evergreen content, also I’ve listened to lots of shows multiple times when it’s suited me, live the Marvel reviews. So keep it up!

From the business side of things, what benefit does WWE get by having their own products sponsor their shows? Hell in a Cell was sponsored by the WWE credit card and one of their in house mobile games. There’s no crossover audience to reach here, if you have the WWE credit card, there’s no way you’re not an active viewer. The game, MAYBE a little bit of an audience to capture. But I just don’t get this. Are there months where they can’t convince Snickers or TGIFriday’s or Pizza Hut or whatever to sponsor a PPV? What’s the business case here? I look forward to Rewind-A-Raw in the future being brought to us by The Post Wrestling Cafe Store.

Thanks as always!

1 Like

Nick from NJ

Hi John & Wai,

What are your guys thoughts on Nickelodeon making a Patrick Starr spinoff?

Yeah that’s it, that’s the question.

When you guys would record in person how would you greet each other? Head nod and a hey, how’s it going? Did you dap each other, shake hands?

1 Like

Chris from Orange County

Why aren’t guys putting their names directly in moves anymore? The guys who perfected the Stinger Splash, the Vader Bomb, the RKO, and the Hurricanrana will live on forever simply because they had a bit more foresight then the rest of the boys. It’s hard to imagine anyone remembering who originated the one-winged angel or buckshot lariat in 100 years.