ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Brett from Vancouver

First off, great content as always guys, I’ve been a listener for years, I have episodes of yours on my phone from months and months ago that I kinda binge when I have time or need evergreen content, also I’ve listened to lots of shows multiple times when it’s suited me, live the Marvel reviews. So keep it up!

From the business side of things, what benefit does WWE get by having their own products sponsor their shows? Hell in a Cell was sponsored by the WWE credit card and one of their in house mobile games. There’s no crossover audience to reach here, if you have the WWE credit card, there’s no way you’re not an active viewer. The game, MAYBE a little bit of an audience to capture. But I just don’t get this. Are there months where they can’t convince Snickers or TGIFriday’s or Pizza Hut or whatever to sponsor a PPV? What’s the business case here? I look forward to Rewind-A-Raw in the future being brought to us by The Post Wrestling Cafe Store.

Thanks as always!

1 Like

Nick from NJ

Hi John & Wai,

What are your guys thoughts on Nickelodeon making a Patrick Starr spinoff?

Yeah that’s it, that’s the question.

When you guys would record in person how would you greet each other? Head nod and a hey, how’s it going? Did you dap each other, shake hands?

1 Like

Chris from Orange County

Why aren’t guys putting their names directly in moves anymore? The guys who perfected the Stinger Splash, the Vader Bomb, the RKO, and the Hurricanrana will live on forever simply because they had a bit more foresight then the rest of the boys. It’s hard to imagine anyone remembering who originated the one-winged angel or buckshot lariat in 100 years.

brandon from caledonia

Who do you think would’ve had a bigger impact on their respective eras of wrestling if they didn’t exist. 80s era Hulkamania Hogan or nWo era Hollywood Hogan? Hope that question made sense to you I’m a bit high right now peace

1 Like

Will from Chicago

Wai - Are you keeping up with the new season of LEGO Masters? In a hypothetical scenario, you and your partner are tasked with recreating a Wrestlemania set in LEGO form, which set are you choosing? I look forward to the eventual review of the LEGO Masters “Rewind-A-Brick”

1 Like

If you were in charge of AEW, tell me 3 things you would change and why?

1 Like

It has been over six years since Dusty Rhodes has passed away.

Performers such as Bayley, Sasha, and Kevin Owens have all talked about how instrumental Dusty was in helping them find and create their characters. When I look at the current NXT product, I believe the biggest weakness is the characters and storylines. In your opinions, has NXT been able to effectively replace Dusty’s role on their coaching staff? What impact do you think his passing has had on NXT since?

2 Likes

Jake from the Windy City

A basketball question for John:

This past weekend, the NBA’s greatest play-by-play man, Marv Albert wrapped up a legendary broadcasting career after over 50 years at NBC and TNT. Marv was the voice of my childhood when I first watched the NBA on NBC when I was four years old during the Lakers’ three-peat run and he called amazing moments during that time.

John, as a die-hard basketball fan growing up, was Marv one of those voices you listened to and do you have any favorite calls and moments of him that stuck out to you? Thanks!

2 Likes

Magan from Ottawa.

Now that the Thunderdome era is coming to an end. Name a few things you least want to see return when fans come back? (i.e. annoying chants like “What?” undercutting important promos)

1 Like

After starting at the WHO declaration of the pandemic in mid-March of last year, STARDOM has actually leapt to being searched worldwide on Google slightly more than ROH for fifth promotion overall, has showed lasting growth year-over-year, and is the second-most searched foreign-owned wrestling company in America over the pandemic behind New Japan (though that’s a wide chasm).

While I know Google Trends is not the be all/end all, with the current international positive buzz and the backing of BushiRoad, do you think now is the time for STARDOM to get aggressive with international expansion? Possibly running big cards in America over major wrestling weekends like All Out, the Rumble, and Mania? Maybe even try to get an English highlight show on something like an AXS? Or, considering everyone from the major leagues to the indies will be running aggressively from now until probably forever to make up for lost time, is this upcoming year simply too soon for STARDOM in America?

Brandon from Oshawa

A couple likely/unlikely for you, from WWE/AEW/MCU. Will any of these events take place by December 2022?

Tony Khan is attacked during an in-ring segment?
Chris Jericho wins the AEW Title as a babyface(his first babyface world title win)?
Karrion Kross wins the WWE Title or Universal Title?
Professor X, Magneto, or Wolverine appear in an MCU film or Disney+ series?(It could be an end credit scene)

Hey guys…Jay from Windsor.

If I haven’t said it before, thank you for everything you guys do.

With all the old movie reviews you have been doing with movies like the Rocky series, would you ever consider doing other 80’s/90’s fighting movies like Bloodsport, Mortal Kombat, Streetfighter etc? Or even classic non fighting movies like Goonies, Back to the Future, Gremlins etc.?

I apologize if you reviewed any of these and I missed it.

Jesse from the 6

John, last month when you were reviewing the Bret Hart A&E doc, you mentioned that Stampede Wrestling used to be on the WWE Network. Thank you for this because I thought I watched some Stampede when the Network was first launched but wasn’t sure if it was just a fever dream. What’s the story here? Did the WWE somehow think they owned the rights but they don’t? Does Bret own the rights to Stampede? Was there a lawsuit?

Also, on the same podcast you mentioned that Vince reneged on his initial deal to buy Stampede Wrestling in the '80s. Could you please elaborate on this? Thanks!

Take Care

Anthony from Melbourne

How do you think Matt Hardy is tracking in AEW? He seems to have finally found himself as Big Money Matt but HFO might be AEWs weakest faction. If you noticed (or maybe even know the original plan) Matt was calling himself “iconic Matt” just before Stings debut. I suspect Stings debut was kept very secret? and therefore Matt had to adjust his character due to Sting being “the icon”.

His role seems to be a mentor while occasionally taking up TV time to establish credibility. He primarily is there to help get the younger talent over, AEW seems to do this better than main roster WWE, where most older talent is either overly dominate (aka Goldberg/Lesner treatment) or constantly being booked to loose, so beating them doesn’t mean anything.

Joe from Hamilton

Thoughts on Tony Schiavone return to pro wrestling with AEW. Towards the end of wcw he was generally regarded as a joke.

I always felt he was good at his job, but he kind of got lumped in with a lot of the bad of wcw.

Ay buds! Mac from Toronto here.

Were you ever comic strip people growing up? If so, which strips did you like? Or hate? Or learn life lessons from?

Thanks for the great work as always John & Wai!

Cathy for greatest comic of all time.

1 Like

Jordan from Kitchener,

WWE has a problem. After listening back to old Post reviews it’s pretty glaring. What is Vince’s problem with burying talent that it gets over organically with the crowd or away entirely from the promotion? It pretty much indicates that he is disconnected from what his fan base wants and has been that way for years.

Diego from San Antonio

Can you envision Bas Rutten having some on air role in AEW? What would it be other than being the referee for an MMA fight?

John, do you anticipate the UFC 264 card having a effect on the number of buys for the Fury-Wilder card?