ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Clearly AEW is where every performer wants to be right now. Seems to me the last major pull WWE has is WrestleMania, with talent often saying they dream of headlining or having their own ‘WrestleMania moment’. Do you think AEW needs their own annual stadium megashow?

Just wanted to say thank you for everything

Can you explain a little about the Ali Act in boxing? Do you see it ever happening in MMA and what would it mean for the sport? Rumors about Anderson Silva at one point in his career thinking about getting a boxing licence and challenging the UFC in court have got me interested in the subject. Thanks!

I’ve loved the MCU later series and have now gone back to listen to them all - thank you, you’ve made me a fan! However, I would like to try some actual comics but I have no idea where to start. What would you recommend to a new reader of not just marvel comics, but ALL comics?

Roy from Rhode Island

John: What, if anything do you miss about doing on-camera broadcast journalism? What were some of your personal highlights from this aspect of your career?

Hey Wai, I’m a big lego fan like yourself, currently working on the Friends apartments, and am wondering if you have tried to get any of your nieces/nephews/friends kids into loving lego like you do. Any tips or tricks? What’s the best age to introduce them, and should you start with something like megablox? Or wait until they can appreciate the true art of lego?

And just quickly for John, likely/unlikely… AEW goes to the uk/Europe before it makes it to the west Coast/Pacific Northwest in particular?

Ian from Best Film Ever

Firstly, a thousand thanks for giving us a shoutout last month and to answer Wai’s question: no we don’t talk shit about you guys.

Now onto my question: I love the AEW product and the talent pool they’ve amassed might be the greatest seen since the end of the attitude era through to Wrestlemania XX. However, how can they possibly keep everyone happy with ‘their spot’. If we’re not there yet, where is the tipping point when AEW can’t creatively satisfy everyone and we start to see traffic flow out of AEW to other promotions or even back to the WWE?

Hey John and Wai,:

In 2007 or so, CNN had a sit-down interview with John Cena where they discussed steroid use. In the news footage they made Cena give the impression that you could never prove that he did or didn’t. In response, WWE provided their own footage of the interview where you can clearly see how Cena states that he had never used steroids and that the quote that CNN used was from a different part of the interview.

a) Did you see the interview at the time? And

b) Did or does something like that sour you on the attitude of the press at times, particularly towards wrestling companies?

Do you ever see HHH leaving the WWE? He is no longer in charge of NXT and had recently had heart issues. He’s married to Stephanie so I can’t see him joining AEW but what about just retiring? And do you still see him as the “heir apparent?”

Hi guys, Callum from Manchester UK here, a lost soul returning to the fold having taken a break from wrestling due to the pandemic amongst other things but drawn back in by the lure of AEW and the buzz surrounding them following recent acquisitions.

It’s pretty clear who the top 2 wrestling promotions are in the US right now, but after that things aren’t as clear cut. With both Impact and ROH’s influence having peaked years ago, and the emergence of MLW and NJ Strong, who would you say has the most legimate claim to being ‘best of the rest’? Could you see any one of them rising to become the clear ‘ECW’ of this era?

Thanks for all your work guys, it is very much appreciated.

Hey Guys…J from Windsor.

With all the jumps from WWE to AEW lately, when the day eventually comes where a big name talent jumps the other way, do you think that the jump it’s self could be used as the crux for a great heel run in the WWE, especially if the heel runs with a “I took the money” narrative? Or do you think that it would be a bad idea for WWE to even run with an angle based on hardcore fans being upset that someone came to WWE? For conversation sake, lets pretend its MJF or a heel with his abilities.

Imran from Huddersfield

Bit of an open-ended one. Is pro-wrestling and WWE a) nice or b) mainstream?

Dustin from Maui,

Do you see Nick Jackson having a solo run before he retires? I always thought he could have had a better run in the BOSJ and a career something similar to AJ Styles or possibly HBK.

Sal from California

I have a random question for Halloween season.

What is the scariest movie you’ve ever seen?

Alex from Minneapolis
do you guys see it likely that Tony Khan can somehow leverage the WarnerMedia relationship to land Conan O’Brien to have any type of significant role in Dynamite in the future or atleast have his talent on his upcoming HBO MAX series … Given how well he took to Danhausen, I could see Conan loving Orange Cassidy and Darby Allin…

Jesse from the 6

This September marks the 12th anniversary of the first Review-a-Wai. (Happy anniversary!) Shortly after starting POST, John mentioned that he had previously thought about branching out and starting an independent podcast empire. (I’m paraphrasing). At what point between that first fateful review of Ground Zero and getting let go by Fight Network did you guys start to think that perhaps podcasting, specifically independent podcasting, could be its own career? (Of course, POST Wrestling is much more than just a podcast network, but I think it’s fair to say that podcasting is your main source of content creation.)

Take Care

1 Like

Is it just me, or has the UFC reached it’s breaking point with holding Fight Night cards in the Apex? It’s become like the Raw and Smackdowns in the empty Performance Center where it just drags out with the repetitive look. We’re now getting back to full crowds in every other major sport and we just keep getting the same bland, lifeless Apex events.

Alexander from Portland

I also watched the April 10 2000 episode of Nitro (too late for feedback) and it was dreadful (I’m blaming the good ol’ boys for that). I had a few questions about this time in WCW:

1. I remember one of the reasons Russo was originally ousted from WCW was that he wanted the world championship to be put on Tank Abbott. Would this really have been that bad of an idea? The world champ before the reboot was Sid Vicious, and while he wasn’t a bad champion I don’t think he’s too far removed from Tank Abbott. Considering WCW eventually had Russo and David Arquette as champs, Tank looks like ever the better candidate.

2. just how did a guy like Jeff Jarrett get to become a world champion? While he could talk and draw heat I found nothing else likeable about the guy. I find it nuts that a company that employed guys like Kevin Nash, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Goldberg, Bret Hart, and Curt Hennig would prefer having their world champ be Jarrett. Was there anything Jarrett offered that you could not have gotten from someone else in the company?

Cheers

If the WWE implemented more “pro wrestling” and less “entertainment” would that quell AEW’s progress or is the brand of the WWE too marked to pull in the AEW fan who truly doesn’t watch the WWE anymore?

This may be more for WH Park as I had him in mind regarding his rants.

Anthony from Detroit

Cheers guys!

My question, harder heel project for AEW, Malakai Black or Adam Cole? The audience feels like both we’re screwed by main roster WWE and the audience loves both of them.