ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Is it just me, or has the UFC reached it’s breaking point with holding Fight Night cards in the Apex? It’s become like the Raw and Smackdowns in the empty Performance Center where it just drags out with the repetitive look. We’re now getting back to full crowds in every other major sport and we just keep getting the same bland, lifeless Apex events.

Alexander from Portland

I also watched the April 10 2000 episode of Nitro (too late for feedback) and it was dreadful (I’m blaming the good ol’ boys for that). I had a few questions about this time in WCW:

1. I remember one of the reasons Russo was originally ousted from WCW was that he wanted the world championship to be put on Tank Abbott. Would this really have been that bad of an idea? The world champ before the reboot was Sid Vicious, and while he wasn’t a bad champion I don’t think he’s too far removed from Tank Abbott. Considering WCW eventually had Russo and David Arquette as champs, Tank looks like ever the better candidate.

2. just how did a guy like Jeff Jarrett get to become a world champion? While he could talk and draw heat I found nothing else likeable about the guy. I find it nuts that a company that employed guys like Kevin Nash, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Goldberg, Bret Hart, and Curt Hennig would prefer having their world champ be Jarrett. Was there anything Jarrett offered that you could not have gotten from someone else in the company?

Cheers

If the WWE implemented more “pro wrestling” and less “entertainment” would that quell AEW’s progress or is the brand of the WWE too marked to pull in the AEW fan who truly doesn’t watch the WWE anymore?

This may be more for WH Park as I had him in mind regarding his rants.

Anthony from Detroit

Cheers guys!

My question, harder heel project for AEW, Malakai Black or Adam Cole? The audience feels like both we’re screwed by main roster WWE and the audience loves both of them.

With the Kenny/Bryan match going to a draw recently, could you see them doing an Ironman Match and do you thinkg AEW would be daring enough to dedicate a whole episode of Rampage to it?

heya! great month of past content, congrats to Wai on the honeymoon!

I loved the 2016 Cruiserweight Classic, and wondered if it ranks up there with your greatest ever wrestling tournaments? Don’t think about the wasted opportunities afterwards, but those magical four months instead. Is it REALLY better than the IWA-Japan King of the Deathmatch tournament?

What topics would you like to see in S4 of Dark Side of the Ring?

Gary from Kent, UK

Jordan from Kitchener,

Who would make it a better Uber driver?

Derek from Calgary,

If you weren’t producing your podcast or doing any journalism, what was the dream job you had prior to enrolling in college?

Brandon Frm NJ

Good envening gentleman

17 in the city stay off of the north bound of Finch Ave in the city anywhoo I have a question if you don’t mind answering been a long night

-John you said while at the cottage you got hit with a noodle and was laid out for hours what grain was the noodle?

-Transcontinental CEO Francois Olivier to retire, Peter Brues named successor thoughts guys

That’s all I got slow news week PS was Adrian “Did somebody say” Chase wearing a fubu inspired sweater during his segment during NXT 2.0 the college years?

I’ll holla at yah later playas, deuces

1 Like

I think we’ve all been embarrassed to admit to being wrestling fans at some point in our lives. Did you guys feel this, especially when meeting your wives for the first time and telling them what your job was?

Phil from WV. Thanks as always for the content and continued success to you both personally and professionally. It is great to see and to hear about.

With AEW moving into their AEW 2.0 phase as John has put it in the past (also a point of discussion within my wrestling friends), do you guys have any predictions or thoughts as to the line that Tony Kahn has to balance between their somewhat limited past and their future going forward? I don’t see any “This is not my AEW” sentiment coming in the immediate future but it will come eventually. What could possibly be the breaking point? Thanks as always guys!!!

Feel free to skip the first paragraph of context if you guys are going long

I love AEW as much as everyone else; they’re booking stuff we don’t even know we want! But beyond booking choices or ratings, I really think the role of women in the company, particularly after the Ric Flair DSOTR episode, needs to be scrutinized. I’m glad you guys, along with people like Andrew and Kate, have talked about how the women’s division needs more time and better storytelling and how there is a glaring hole of main event players who are black. Although WWE is the source of the plane ride from hell, Ric Flair is backstage, and people like Dustin and JR, who are part of that company, were also part of that WWE culture and don’t come off as the most sensitive toward women at the best of times.

My question, then, is how do you get the media members who actually talk to TK and other wrestling powerbrokers in media scrums after to ask questions like:

Why are there 11 commentary spots over 4 shows and not one of them is a woman?

Why can smaller companies like Impact, ROH, and NWA get respected women’s veterans like Gail, Maria, and Mickie while AEW only seems to hire old men as their agents?

Is there no room for a Lisa Marie Varon? Jazz? Amy Dumas? Any woman over 40 besides Vickie backstage? If AEW can make heaven and Earth move to get Punk and Bryan, why can’t they get female veterans?

Again, I like AEW, but even the NHL, maybe the most exclusionary mainstream sport, has Cassie Campbell all over HNIC; I don’t think asking for more of a female presence on the broadcast team or in the back at AEW is too much, and I’d like to know how to signal boost such a sentiment.

Roy from Rhode Island,

If someone other than Kevin Nash and Brock Lesnar had to break Goldberg and Undertaker’s streaks at the exact shows where they were broken, who would each of you have chosen?

What were some of your takeaways from the survey you presented us patrons a few months back?

1 Like

Have either of you guys ever watched battlebots? It’s got a wrestling style presentation with a season that consists of qualifying matches that leads to a single elimination tournament. They even manage to build compelling stories like the new flipper bot possibly retiring the old veteran flipper bot.
Also the trophy is a giant metal nut.
Was also hoping to get some background on Kenny Florian’s MMA career, one of the commentators of battlebots. Not having followed MMA except through snippets on your podcast, I wanted to know if you guys even know who that is.
Thanks and love your guys’ work.

Glean from sydney

1 Like

Someone got to a similar question about the survey I wanted to ask so I’ll make an edit…

Do either of you have a favorite restaurant or fast food place when you visited the US?

Gentlemen, thank you so much for the ridiculous amounts of content. You both helped me stay somewhat sane during the worst of the pandemic. My question is about my favorite bygone promotion - HUSTLE. Do you know who owns the HUSTLE intellectual property after its unceremonious dissolution? Do you think we ever get a revival of that grandly eccentric promotion?

Justin, NYC

1 Like

Imran from Huddersfield

If you were WWE, how would you go about booking talent that is coming to the end of their contract, now that there is a very real and very strong competitor in the market? Do you book them strong and hope that pursuades them to stay? But then risk building up a talent only for them to leave? Or do you have them spin their wheels look weakk until they do sign, knowing that that will further push towards the door? I of course have a Kevin Owens type talent in mind when asking this question.

Sal from California

This question is specifically for Wai. What wrestler (male or female) do you think would make the best fit for Bachelor in Paradise?

My pick is Ricky Starks. He’s handsome and charismatic and could totally play the heel on the island like Brendan did in this season.