ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Branavan from Ajax:

What do you think is more likely: An NJPW wrestler becoming AEW Men’s World Champion or an AEW wrestler becoming IWGP Heavyweight Champion?

Anthony from Melbourne

When AEW started there was an emphasis on not doing wrestling tropes, things like DQ finishes, count-outs, etc but now 3 years in, AEW seem to have developed their own crutches.

I find they constantly go to the well for things like the lights going out and someone appearing, the masked member of the crowd or crew attacking someone, interrupting an interview to lead to a feud or their favourite, outnumbered beat down on the baby face where someone comes out for the save.

I found the above logical and refreshing to begin with but do you think they rely on these methods too frequently? If so, what could they do differently to make things less repetitive?

Brandon from Oshawa

What are your thoughts on a potential WWE/NXT vs AEW story taking place on AEW television? They have a lot of top names that they would look stronger than the WCW side did during that invasion.

Could they pull off something good and how do you think ratings would reflect? Would WWE or NXT fans be more likely to tune in, if they aren’t right now?

Who does the tech and post-production on your shows? Can you describe your processes and roles?

Hey guys, that was an interesting discussion on physical media. As someone who couldn’t imagine not buying music on cd I was wondering was there a specific point where you decided your done buying physical media?

Also do you remember the first and last bit of physical media you bought? Always remember my first was Michael Jackson - Bad on cd with my birthday money as a 5 year old

Thanks both!

Two-part question …

Who’s more likely to receive a big singles push (midcard champion bare min.) in their respective companies. Montez Ford or Santana?

The second question is to get a personal opinion on it if the first answer only reflects what you really think will happen. Who do you think you’d rather see and is more deserving of a singles run?

Thanks,

Jamie

Hey guys!

Anthony from Detroit

It appears that the NXT reboot was because of the failures of males on the main roster. The female main roster is dominated by black and gold NXT alumni. How will the NXT 2.0 change the future for females on the main roster?

Thank you!

Hey there - thanks for all the content during an incredibly busy January!

I wondered what your thoughts and feelings are concerning the Gracie family’s problematic history: Hélio’s close links to fascist ideology, Rener’s BJJ training of police officers, Renzo’s praising of Bolsanaro etc. The Gracies hold such importance within combat sports but I wonder if the sport or its fans will ever reckon with their legacy outside of the ring. Many thanks.

What up gents what’s crackin anywhoo a serious question “if I can be serious for a second” do you think Pat McAfee is the sports version of Joe Rogan? I ask this cause of the way he lets his guest go autopilot mode ala Aaron Rodgers. Kay Adams from good morning football said in a slightly joking matter “hey you changed the way we have to interview him” is this good or bad. I’ll hang up and listen also what’s your Wordle score John? All dug out eh

Brandon Frm NJ

I don’t know if this has been asked before, so, sorry if it has.
Do you think WCW still would have gone out of business had they existed in the current landscape of TV deals? If they theoretically were in the same spot on television today that they were back in the day I imagine they would be making close to what WWE is making with Raw and SmackDown these days. So in a way could you maybe even say that WCW would still be around today if they had made it a little longer until TV deals exploded the way they did?

John, as someone who has watched Larry Hagman as JR Ewing growing up, were you also a fan of the other show Larry was best known for in “I Dream of Jeannie”? I grew up on that show on syndication, and I preferred his character as Major Nelson. It truly brought out his befuddled, comedic nature which shows how great of an actor he was by having such variety in his roles.

Roy from Rhode Island,

Which do you feel was more detrimental (relatively) to their respective companies- Triple H’s stranglehold on the world heavyweight championship from 2002-2005 or Jeff Jarrett’s stranglehold on the nwa world title in the early years of TNA?

I would lean toward Jarrett given WWE had a parallel world title to fall back on, and the conclusion of Triple H’'s reigns solidified Batista as a top star.

While it’s on my mind: who’s your favourite all-time Bullet Club member that wasn’t one of the leaders?

Hi guys! I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while now. In 2001/2002 I fell out of wrestling, but was aware of NWA-TNA forming with former performers from the major 3 promotions. I don’t recall the buzz or reporting, positive or negative, around this new promotion. So my question is, was the early TNA’s buzz was as intense or positive as AEW’s buzz was from Late 2018 to the debut in October 2019.

Jesse from the 6

What’s your favourite Beatles album? (If you have one.)

Take Care

1 Like

Anthony from Melbourne

As someone who can ramble on a question or feedback I find your ability to read feedback and filter out the bullshit to make it shorter at the same time amazing and all while simultaneously interacting with each other and probably live producing the show.

Have you both always had this ability or has it improved over time? Do you have any tips?

John, I used apple podcast app back when it was good and know you have tried a few different apps since its downfall; what app did you settle on for your podcast needs and why?

Imran from Huddersfield

What is next for Triple H? What do you see him doing in the WWE / industry over the next year or two.

With news of UFC increasing ppv prices, do you see WWE ever charging for ppvs again or can the toothpaste not be put back into the tube? Would it even be beneficial for them or is it more of a decision of the media rights holder?

With the ascension of Braun Breaker, what are the chances the Steiner Brothers go into the WWE HOF this year?

Sal from California

First, I just want to say that I love the daily news updates. Every afternoon, I go on a walk and listen to the news show. It’s a fun routine that I’ve come to look forward to.

My question is:

Since it’s been a few years now, where do you think the Okada/Omega rivalry ranks? Is it the greatest rivalry of all time?