ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

How many members of the Wu Tang Clan can you name?

Hernis from Long Island.

We are getting closer to Halloween. Any costumes you care to share that were worn as a kid? As a 28 year, I remember wearing the Scream mask with a fake heart that pumped blood to your mask. This was worn by every male from 13 (high schoolers) to about 18 in NYC.

Also as fathers (I, myself isn’t one), how do you feel about family costume (ex. the incredibles, flintstones, etc.)?

Brandon from Oshawa

If you guys woke up tomorrow and you somehow had time travelled back to the year 2000, what do you think you would do? Would you try and contact your younger selves or family and give future info? Maybe warn people of upcoming events(9/11 happening next year) or try and find a way back home? Maybe something else?

Ahmad from NJ

With AEW Dynamite beginning their 4th year on TV, I would be interested to hear your assessment of where the Four original pillars are at this point? Besides MJF, I would say the pillars are less hot than they were a year ago. My view is Tony’s gotten distracted by the influx of WWE stars and running out of of creative ideas what I point to.

Miguel from South Central

Do you guys have any plans for a POST event over Wrestlemania weekend?

Anthony from Melbourne

This year has seen Vince loose his position in WWE and Tony to have his least inspiring creative along with many issues backstage in AEW.

If no topic where off-limits and you could interview each of these men and ask them 3 questions, what would they be?

(Feel free to cut down the number of questions for time or skip this question all together if theres a chance you may actually interview them).

Roy from Rhode Island

Happy fifth anniversary. How important is professional success (for this question, incorporating both your satisfaction with your work and its commercial success) to you both in terms of overall fulfilment/self-esteem, and how has this level of importance been affected by changes like going independent with post, getting married, having children etc. ?

Luk from Quebec

Throughout your careers, have you ever had to struggle with imposter syndrome? and if so, what are some things that have helped you get over that feeling?

And a bonus question for Wai, what’s a Marvel character that we haven’t seen adapted into a movie or TV show that you would like to see in the future?

Considering the length of time you’ve been in the wrestling reporting business, I was wondering about your opinion on the top wrestling promotions if you sort of add up revenue, national/international reach, and reception. I think the top three of WWE, AEW, and NJPW aren’t in doubt, but given TV deals, streaming services, and attendance, I was curious how you’d rank the B to C level promotions overall if those are the A’s. If those three offer the best pay and worldwide coverage, how do other orgs stack up:

1 WWE
2 AEW/ROH
3 NJPW
4 IMPACT (international DAZN deal announced today!)
5 STARDOM
6 CMLL
7 AAA
8 CyberFight [NOAH, DDT, TJPW] (They actually crosspromote unlike this one crossover show from Bushiroad, so I think it’s fair to lump them together and to keep STARDOM/NJPW separate)
9 Dragon Gate
10 AJPW
11 GCW
12 MLW

Happy Halloween!
Have either of you ever experienced anything that could be considered supernatural or at least spooky?

Imran from Huddersfield

Unless I’ve missed it, one idea that I’ve not really heard talked about is Naomi joining up with the Bloodline upon her return - away from her very obvious link to the group, I think it could add yet another interesting wrinkle to the Bloodline, what do you both think?

And a quick random question that’s not at all related to any potential upcoming contests - would you consider Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley to be a Christmas song? Asking for a friend…

Anthony from Melbourne

Happy 5 years!!

Many years ago I recall you guys were doing your shoutouts of patrons and alluding to a prominent wrestler being a patron but understandably did not reveal their name.

My question is, without naming who, are you aware of any prominent wrestlers who regularly listen to your podcast?

If so, have you ever noticed something you have said influence their character or storyline’s?

Finally, does knowing they may be listening influence your reviews at all? For example have you ever not given negative thoughts about them knowing they are likely to hear.

(I don’t think you would but thought it was an interesting question to ask, personally I think your feedback would be some of the best constructive criticism they possibly could receive).

You guys have done the year-end awards for a long time and it’s some of the best shows of the year, but there’s been more talk recently from other people, whom I won’t mention their names, that there shouldn’t be “Worst of” awards, like what the Observer does for their awards. Some say it’s mean-spirited, disrespectful to the talent involved, and brings a lot of “toxicity” in the fanbase. I don’t disagree but personally, I think “worst of” awards actually provide historical context and are for entertainment purposes. These awards aren’t for wrestlers, they’re for fans. If you’re a wrestler, you seriously shouldn’t even look at them.

1 Like

If you left Canada for say 5 years, what food do you think you’d miss the most?

1 Like

Hi Wai and John.

If you could go back and review any period of wrestling right after it happened like you do now , but with the same connections you got when it comes to getting info etc…

What timeframe would it be? 1996 leading up the Bash at the Beach , maybe around Survivor series 97? Summerslam 91 period and Warrior holding up Vince for more money. Maybe even earlier when it was World Class Championship Wrestling and the height of their popularity.

Thanks for your time

1 Like

Sal from California

Which feud and match do you prefer: Bret vs Owen at Wrestlemania X or Bret vs Austin at Wrestlemania 13?

While watching New Japan’s Battle Autumn show, it occurred to me that New Japan seems to use the hardcam a lot less than most American companies. Apart from Kevin Dunn’s regularly criticized zooms and quick cuts, are there any promotions whose style of shooting pro wrestling has made a real difference, positive or negative, in your enjoyment of it? (As a cameraman I’m guessing Wai regularly notices gaffes or neat tricks which would breeze right past most of us.)

Vince from Sacramento

I’m curious to get both of your thoughts on why AEW presented CM Punk as a bigger star than Bryan Danielson during the time both were in the company. Prior to them both coming in to AEW, I felt Danielson arguably would have been the bigger name than Punk considering his popularity and the fact he has had 2 WrestleMania main events. Even now with Punk gone from AEW, it feels like Danielson isn’t being presented as the massive star that Punk was. I guess my question is why do you think Punk was picked to be the face of the company over Danielson?

Saeed from Vancouver,

So John its been a while probably from the LAW days that you’ve updated us on your favorite Chicken sandwich place… Which place has your favorite nowadays?

2 Likes

Mahmood from Bahrain,

Happy anniversary guys. Always grateful to be a member of this community.

Two unrelated questions for you:

1. Without the context of his premature death in 2005, do you think Eddie Guerrero could have been a top guy in 2004 with his WWE title reign. The one he did have seems to have been more of a legacy reign, but if you reversed the roles at Wrestlemania 20 and gave Eddie the main event and presented him as the top guy post Austin do you think he would have been successful? I always felt that the Latino Heat persona was a great extension of the Austin character while being it’s own thing.

2. Now that’s it’s been more than two years and with the new movie coming out, do you think T’Challa should have been recast? I love Chadwick Boseman and his role is absolutely iconic but I do struggle with the fact that the character of T’Challa was worth preserving. I’m not saying marvel was wrong for not choosing to recast and I’m still unsure about it myself, what do you guys think?