ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Jordan from Kitchener,

This is not a question, I am listening to the lastest of talk and the importance of self care came up. I do agree with you guys that prioritizing self care and being able to walk away things when they get too much is needed. Keep up the great work guys, you have built quite network in these past few years. You men should be proud.

2 Likes

Question probably more for John since I think he’s more of a reader than Wai:

I have just received 2 books by Jonathan Foye; one called ‘Ganbaru’ about the All Japan 2000 roster split and another called ‘The Muto Years’. I don’t know much about AJPW and Noah outside what I’ve heard on the post podcasts and I’m looking forward to learning about these promotions. Have you read either book and if so, what did you think?

I’ve always been interested in the difference between wrestlers’ public statements about the wrestling press, and the obvious interest many of them have in it given their willingness to serve as sources. How, if at all, do you guys evaluate a source’s own interests in a particular story with regards to their credibility, and without giving anything away, have you ever opted not to run with a story out of concern about such potential manipulation?

2 Likes

Saeed from Vancouver:

If you had to pick one would you rather:

Have an amazing story be told, the best you’ve seen on wrestling tv only for the match to be a dud.

Have a terrible story be told and them have a 5 star match at the end of it?

Have you ever had a person be super rude to you about the whole “wrestling is fake” thing?

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi guys,

Paraphrasing a recent tweet from Suit Williams, who I believe was making this point from a purely creative perspective, rather than through a business lens:

What do you think of the argument that, had Roman needed to, or opted to step away from wrestling in either 2018 or 2020, that his run may have been the worst ever attempt by WWE at a face of the company in the modern era?

People usually point to Diesel’s world title run, which bad as it was, only last a year, whereas the Reigns run from 2015-2018 (or 2020), was much more sustained, and included some of the worst, most audience rejected Wrestlemania main events of all time (32-34 particularly).

Not a question but just an observation from the UK. Wrestling is still seen as lame here and I didn’t tell many I was going to All In. But when it became big I started to talk to people and turns out loads more than I realised like wrestling or are at least open to going.

This year I went as a group of 2 but next year I’m up to 6 already. As long as they don’t increase the ticket price too much I think they could beat 81,000 do you expect them to keep their tickets cheap?
I paid £27.50 for All In where as WWE events start at about £75 for comparison.

Whose gimmick in any company right now are you guys just not liking?

How did Bauer and Pollock come to be? That was my gateway into the Post Wrestling world.

With the benefit of hindsight, do you think that if Tony Khan knew in March of 2022 that he would not be able to find a TV deal for ROH he would have still purchased the company? He seemed to have miscalculated the appetite from broadcasters (particularly WBD) for another wrestling brand and going direct to consumer with Honor Club clearly felt like a risky Plan B. Given the expansion of AEW into three nights of TV, do you think he regrets the decision to purchase ROH?

Luk from Québec!

Historically and as we’ve seen recently with the multiple Punk incidents, it seems that wrestling gets the most buzz from real life conflicts behind the scenes or feuds that blur the lines (like the early Becky and Ronda feud) Knowing this, are you surprised that companies don’t try to artificially/intentionally create these types of conflicts more often to get a shot in the arm? Is it that it’s too difficult to fool the audience because wrestling news media would report it as fake? Do you think it would be possible to create an artificial “Brawl Out” type situation that is bought as real by everyone but the people involved and would it be worth it?

Alexander from Portland

What are your fondest memories of Sting in TNA? Overall, did the company book him well? Would Sting have been as big of a deal in WWE if he never went to TNA and stayed retired instead?

Cheers, you two are great

Ross

I am a lifelong wrestling that’s never gotten into MMA but would like to try. However, it’s much more intriguing to me go back and watch some historical fights than it is to pay hundreds of dollars to keep up with the current product. As someone who’s never seen a UFC fight outside of the occasional Connor McGregor fight and the two CM Punk debacles, what, in your opinion, would be the best entry point for a new fan? And what’s the best approach when checking out the library on Fight Pass?

If you’re able to find the time, do you think you might travel over to the UK for All In next year?

It looks like Marvel & Star Wars has significantly cut back on the quantity of shows on Disney+ in 2023 with only Secret Invasion and the second seasons of both Loki and What If and Ahsoka on the Star Wars side. Kevin Feige and Bob Iger definitely realized this when speaking out on it. Do you like this approach that Disney is taking that the best thing to do is focus on quality over quantity? At this moment, have you been enjoying the content Disney+ is putting out there. I’m definitely back all in with Ahsoka right now and Loki coming back.

And Wai, how was Secret Invasion for you?

Anthony from Melbourne

Recently there has been some confusion over Roderick Strongs vignettes about his tough life while being a comedic character. The most confusing vignette was about his upbringing, my interpretation was that all the photos showed a happy childhood while his narration suggested the opposite, which was the joke. I enjoyed it but do you think it didn‘t resonate with the audience because distasteful or was the joke just not obvious enough (if my interpretation is even correct)?

Did either of you watch the WWE Cody Documentary and if so, what were your quick thoughts?

Cody’s comment on leaving AEW was “I didn’t leave AEW because of money and I didn’t leave AEW because of other talents. I left AEW because of a personal issue.”

Has anymore come out about what this reason was or is there a general consensus on what it could be?

Side note - John there was a show where people get unrestricted access to each others phones and then decide if they want to go on a date it was called “Phone Swap”.

Pete in Texas

Hey Guys

After the WWE cuts last week you discussed Dolph, Ali, Emma, and Moss possibly joining AEW. Would you see any value in Shelton Benjamin being back in a promotion where the in ring is more valued like AEW? I know he is almost 50, but he is 6’1" , 240 lbs, super athletic , a name people know, plus a professional. I feel he may fit in well being that big and athletic paired against some of the AEW talent. Also he could just go to Ring of Honor. Do you see benefits for both parties? If Shelton was to sign with AEW could it be his last chance at a serious push/run on TV?

Thanks
Pete

Mahmood from Bahrain,

Excluding his role as head of creative or an executive, do you think Triple H is a hall of fame wrestler (observer criteria)? In my eyes he was never a draw as a main eventer in the level of an Austin or a Rock nor was he an all time great performer like a Benoit or angle. Would it just be on the basis of his time in DX or just being world champion multiple times in the WWE? What is his ultimate legacy to professional wrestling as a performer?

Jesse from the 6

It’s mid-September, 1998. You’ve just come home from school and you have no homework. You microwave a Pizza Pop until it’s boiling-lava hot, crack open a cold can of Barq’s root beer, and insert your new game Pro Wrestling Mogul into your CD-ROM drive.

You’ll create a brand new wrestling promotion starting with a fantasy draft of all active wrestlers. You get to pick first. Who are you choosing? WWF Champion Steve Austin? WCW Champion Goldberg? Do you think there’s enough brand name value left in a Hollywood Hogan? Or would 14-year-old John or Wai be enterprising enough to pick a Misawa or Kobashi? In the autumn of 1998, who was the top star in wrestling?

Take Care

1 Like

Hello, long time listener l, first time writer. What is your favorite (or most frustrating) WWE storyline with absolutely zero payoff or that was just dropped? Some examples: who raised the briefcase at KOTR 99? GTV. Liv Morgan and Lana affair. Triple H whispering something to KO before turning on Jericho. Thanks! Love the shows!

1 Like