ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Have you guys ever reviewed Insurexxtion 2002?
My first ever WWF event I attended live.

Is there an event on review a wai, you guys HAVENT done yet that either of you would like to?

Cheers

Ian from Best Film Ever

Perhaps more than any other medium, Podcasts foster a hyperreal intimacy between the hosts and the audience (obviously one-sided), likely due to their grassroots origins, frequency of release, and I’m guessing that most of the audience listens to episodes privately, again reinforcing these parasocial relationships.

Have you ever had a situation where an audience member over-traveled in their expectations/understanding of the relationship (most likely out of exuberance although not necessarily) and if so, how did it make you feel and what did you do to correct this?

Hey Guys

I believe on a late 2023 episode John wanted to drink less beer in 2024. So with that being said what are some of your favorite types, styles, and brands you enjoy? Down here we have all kinds of microbreweries everywhere and I’m sure you guys have some hidden Canadian gems that you would recommend. Also, shout out Chopped Tees.

Thanks

Chris from Nevada

Obviously this might sound trivial or not that big of a deal, but I’m curious would you guys ever update or change the Rewind A Smackdown intro to eliminate the “Vince” line in the song?

Also hearing the Dynamite review, Wai continued to mention the world title 3 way as the main event. I’m under the impression with the magnitude of it being Sting’s last match, and that being the hook of the show, that the tag title match Darby & Sting vs. The Bucks closes the show. Anyway keep up the good work and love everything you guys do.

Nas from NYC

John, I am a very big fan of your writing. Needless to say, they are very high quality. Your Terry Funk write up was 10,000 words which you wrote in mere days.

Seeing that an average book is about 100k words, have you considered writing a book? Perhaps a Vince McMahon biography. I cannot think another person in the world who’d be able to give an accurate and honest account of Vince McMahon. Or perhaps another topic that might interest you.

Thanks

How do you clear snow/ice (if you actually do) - shovel or blower? Furthermore, if you have sidewalks, are you clearing snow early in the morning or are you getting around to it when you get around to it? Are you a salt sprinkler?

Bonus: do you have a minimum inch guideline? Are you looking at your window saying “screw them kids” if it’s just an inch on the ground?

Luk from Quebec!

So I obviously don’t know anything about how contract negotiations work, but I was wondering, is there a reason why wrestlers and performers can’t just refuse to have a 90 days no-compete clause in their contract? (or similar clauses that have a negative impact on their livelihood). What if a very big name like a Roman Reigns was to say “I won’t sign this contract unless this no-compete clause is removed”? Is that just not possible? Just curious if you have any insight on this kind of stuff!

Thanks guys

@wai0937 John was partially right - almost all of my life I’ve lived in places where it was either just ice or light snow. Just moved to MN and one of the first things I did over the summer was get a 2-stage electric blower. We finally got about 6 inches of powder snow a few days ago but my wife didn’t want to be seen as the outsiders from a different state being lazy and made me use a shovel with her.

Took an hour to get our driveway + sidewalk done and in that hour all but one of my visible neighbors simply busted out their blower to handle business and move on. The blower is now allowed to be used.

1 Like

Mahmood from Bahrain,

So I just noticed that Owen Hart is not in the Observer Hall of Fame. Is that a big snub? Obviously he was never a big draw or the face of the company or anything but he was a fantastic all time great wrestler and you’ve got guys like Jericho and KO citing him as a huge influence amongst others

Speaking of Owen, another question for John. Where would you say Broken Harts ranks among the great wrestling books? I don’t feel it gets talked about in the same vein as Bret or Foley’s book but the emotional weight and extensive research makes it one of the best I’ve personally read.

1 Like

Do you see a possibly of AEW losing their TV deal from WBD if WBD decides to keep the NBA? It could be a “risk” for the future of Pro Wrestling in TV even with Netflix having WWE Raw, The CW having WWE NXT & USA Network having WWE Smackdown in the USA between 2024/2025 we think at least!

Steve Grows Weed

Can you guys talk about your own weekly ratings? Which of your weekly shows draw the most viewers/listeners?
Do you pay attention to what shows do better than others?

Burak from the UK.

For John: Which abbreviation irritates you most when reading articles? For me, I cannot stand lol

For Wai: Do you prefer Lays Ketchup Chips or Cheetos Ketchup Chips?

Do you think we could ever see a WWE-AEW Crossover PPV?

Seems more likely than ever given the current climate for pro wrestling.

Do you see any potential risks for either company?

I had a random video of a very young John and Wai pop up on my YouTube feed. You were doing amazing promos on each other followed by training montages. It had to do with you trying to out drink the other at a local bar. The one I saw, you two were preparing for the rubber match drink off. Please elaborate on the genesis of this competition and who the ultimate victor was.

4 Likes

John, you mind talking more about your experience of announcing the World Combat Games in Russia years ago? Which martial arts did you call and how extensive was the preparation for doing play-by-play for an event like this, did your announcing partners help you out as well? And did you do any other announcing opportunities before or after this?

Thanks again!

On the recent A&E biography of Sgt Slaughter, Bruce Prichard admitted (the first time I’m aware) that tickets for WM7 were slow to sell, and stalled at around 12k by February.
The slow ticket sales, along with bomb threats, were the reason for the move from the colliseum to the sports arena. (Apparently)
I was always under the impression it was solely the tickets not selling for the move and the bomb story was a way for them to save face not selling anywhere near 100k tickets….

What’s the true story do you know?

Connor from Ireland.

With the latest WWE2k24 game having a lot of spotlight put on it in relation to the removal of Brock lesnar and Vince McMahon, I was wondering do you think there will ever be a change in philosophy in regards to utilising characters and wrestlers with this sort of history behind them ie Benoit also etc.

Do you think we will ever get to a stage where with the intention to grow and not just bury their head in the sands the wwe will acknowledge the history of these people and how they have affected others but be able to move past and at least acknowledge their past and history rather than praise it.

Also look forward to hopefully finally getting to say hello at mania week in Philly this year after years of fandom.

Thanks guys

Have you two ever participated in a thread similar to this where you are asking others their thoughts on any matter that has popped up? If not, who would be a non-Post Wrestling universe affiliated person you’d ask and would the questions be serious?

Alexander from Portland

What are your favorite girl scout cookies?

Pollack and ting we are same age so curious what did you guys do when you got your snacks, sit down and turn on RAW back in the day and see that damn dog show replacing it for the week? I used to be so upset especially if after PPV cause couldn’t see what happened (no internet). Also will we get a grapple kingdom 2. Wai it’s time. I say you vs Andrew or thurston. Samoa Joe not busy so he could ref again :rofl: