ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Roy from Rhode Island

What positive traits from your own parents approaches do you hope to emulate (or feel you do emulate) in your own parenting?

If the somewhat old news of Jarrett planning live events is true, don’t you think that’s a bit of a mistake? They bulk tape everything on Dynamite and those rarely sell out anymore. Wouldn’t you just run Wednesdays for Dynamite, Fridays for Rampage and Elevation, and weekend PPVs instead of random live events (which were actually a money loser for WWE right before the pandemic)? I think twice a week for Rampage and Dynamite is all you’re getting away with for live events considering the current popularity of AEW and the cost of living right now.

Unrelated: do you see NOAH as a potential landing spot for Ibushi if he doesn’t want to move to America? They are the second-biggest men’s promotion in Japan and Ibushi could be a great box office draw that they need after Mutoh retires next month.

John, are you doing Elf on the Shelf?

Luk from Quebec

Whenever a wrestler goes through some difficult event in their lives, (surmounting an illness or injury, surviving an accident, growing up poor, losing a loved one), I’ve often heard you say that “they have a great story to tell”. However, besides them talking about their struggle in a single sit-down interview or video package (because doing it repeatedly every week just creates a Lacey Evans situation), I don’t really see how this stuff can be used to build up a wrestling feud. What do you think is the best way to use this stuff to build up to a story?

Sal from California

I have a question for John. I’ve been watching some mid 80s WWF and one of the performers I’ve enjoyed seeing is Adrian Adonis.

I’m wondering if you know anything about why he was fired from the WWF back in 1987. Wikipedia says he was fired for dress code violations which seems odd to me. Just curious if you’ve ever read anything that elaborated on this.

Branavan From Ajax:

In "honour"of Royal Rumble 2023 hosting the First Ever™️ Mountain Dew Pitch Black Match featuring Bray Wyatt vs LA Knight, what other flavors of MTN Dew/other sodas would you like to see featured as a match?

Saeed from vancouver.

Do you think the WWE would ever put the WWE or Universal title on Sami Zayn seeing how Saudi typically wants the champions on the shows?

Dave from Brisbane

Hey guys do either of you listen to any F1 related podcasts? Apologies if this is something that has been asked before

Imran from Huddersfield

Really enjoyed the Best/Worst of 2022 podcast guys, can I get your winners for a couple of other categories that I think are worthwhile?

Best Spot of the Year - (eg. Sammy Guevara Ladder Cutter/ Tractor)
Segment/Promo of the Year
Biggest Waste/Lost opportunity of the Year

And if you have time for non-wrestling - Best Movie you watched last year?

Nic from Chatham,

With Vince McMahon being back with WWE and with all of the scandal surrounding him, do you think that reduces the chance of Dwayne Johnson returning to WWE?

Hello Fellas!

Were you guys into museums at all whether historical, science, music, etc.? I’ve personally always enjoyed those field trips in grade school since Chicago has a variety of museums all over and in the future I would love to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto one day. Just wondering if you have any favorites.

I was watching the December 7th, 1998 Raw. The one where Taker hung Stone Cold from his “symbol”. The whole show was commentated by Cole and King, however there is several points in the show you can clearly see its King and JR sitting at the announce desk. In those momements King is definitely not mouthing what I’m hearing. At one point Cole did say that JR’s mom had passed that week but he was obviously there calling the show. Any idea why they would dub over the entire show?

Rod from England

I feel House of Black are criminally underused in AEW. I thought their return would be a reboot for them but they still get next to nothing on Dynamite.

Why won’t AEW push one of their best teams, Malaki should be going up against Omega and Danielson?

1 Like

To John - what’s the story behind your Late Night with Conan O’Brien mug? Mostly asking because I’ve been a huge fan of Conan as far back as I can remember. He shaped me and my friends’ humor growing up. I’m hoping someday that Danhausen successfully lures Conan to AEW to follow up on his appearance on Conan O’Brien Needs a Fan from a few years ago.

Anthony from Detroit

Cheers guys

Do you guys think Karrion Kross has a chance to get over with wwe main roster fans? I thought I saw a future main roster world champion when Kross was in NXT and then he was called to up to raw and his NXT entrance was gone, he lost quick matches and then had the dumb gladiator mask before he was released. Now that he is back he is just another guy. Did his brief raw run ruin his wwe main roster career?

1 Like

Hi guys,

As I write this we are currently under some extreme cold alerts in Ontario, so I have been turning my mind to my summer plans for some relief. So how do you guys feel about camping? Every summer our family does a couple camping trips in our travel trailer at provincial parks. It’s a pretty glamorous form of ‘roughing it’, but its the best way to get out into the woods with two kids. I also do some interior camping by myself or with my oldest son, where we take a canoe into the interior of Algonquin Park and really rough it for a couple days with only what we can carry in on our backs. On trips like that you might travel anywhere from 10 to 50km into the interior, with the possibility of not seeing another soul for days.

I know John usually gets a cottage trip in and I think I’ve heard Wai talk about going camping a few times, so what would be your initial reaction to someone asking you to go camping? The ‘glamorous’ kind and the really ‘roughing it’ kind. Let me know how many nights I should book for us. :crazy_face:

Hey,

Would you know if there’s an approximate subscriber count out there for AEW+ on Fite TV? Reporting on it is a bit scarce and even then it’s vague.

Thank you.

Roy from Rhode Island

Hi John and Wai,

Fantasy “booking” question: It’s March 1, 2020, and WWE, New Japan and all other major companies across the world announce that out of an abundance of caution, they’re cancelling all upcoming events until further notice, including behind closed door events due to the pandemic. Most companies indicate their aim is to restart on January 1, 2021, in theory.

We assume for the purposes of this question that all Patrons remain subscribed, so no worry about this resulting in a loss of income.

What would Post programming have looked like in theory for the rest of the year, broadly speaking?

Luk from Quebec

Do you think the name of a wrestler’s finisher can make or break them reaching the top of the card? How important is the name of a finisher to a wrestler’s overall presentation?

Mango is the king of Jarritos, Stewart’s has the best Root Beer (their whole line is awesome)

Have you tried the cousin of root beer; cream soda?

John, by working at a movie theater do you stay away from everything they sell to avoid bringing back that smell in your memory?

Favorite cartoons growing up?