ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

What are your preferred alcoholic beverages when you partake in such endeavour ?

If the Ultimate Warrior did not suddenly pass, do you think his tenure as an ambassador for WWE would have lasted long with his more controversial comments in the past?

Also while some don’t care for the WWE lionizing the Warrior and Dana being seen as a corporate tool, do you think it was worth it so Warriors family can earn a living after Warrior passing?

1 Like

Two McU questions: Wai, rank your top three MCU movies and explain why you like each.

John, now that you know who Steve Rogers is and have seen Captain America First Avenger, would you be willing to watch both Winter Soldier and Civil War?

Winter Soldier is an all time great film.

Pineapple on Pizza. Yay or nay?

3 Likes

I remember on a recent podcast John mentioned that he wasn’t signed up for ROH HonorClub.

So my two part question to both John & Wai is this:
A) Is there any major reason as to why you haven’t signed up for ROH HonorClub?
B) What Wrestling / Fighting steaming services are you signed up to?

(I’m signed up to WWE Network, NJPW World, ROH HonorClub, & MCW Encore, myself for about AU$40 a month)

We’re reviewing TWS this Friday for our patron bonus show.

3 Likes

John, did you watch the newer seasons of Dallas, featuring John Ross & Christopher? If so, how did you feel about how they handled Larry Hagmans death? And what did you think of the actors who portrayed John Ross & Christopher?

Wai, you’re a big comic fan, do you watch any of the DC TV Shows? Why do you think DC kills it with their TV, but cant pull it off with their movies?

With the recent success of the Queen movie Bohemian Rhapsody’s trailer. I was wondering what your views on the film are and if you’re excited to see it when it comes out?

Also, I was wondering if you’re both fans of the band and if so, what are some of your favourite songs by them and the band as a whole?

Are you two going to Niagara Falls Comic Con this year? If so when? Also, will you be bringing any stickers or other merch? Maybe a listener meet up that weekend?

Each of you name a US city that you’d like to visit for the first time.

I noticed John sometimes makes references to the card game Magic the Gathering. What is your history with playing that game? (I.e. when did you start, do you still play, favorite cards, etc)

1 Like

Do you think when the XFL gets going Vince will completely step away from WWE programming leaving Hunter and Stephanie to produce it. If so, do you think we will finally see the return of commentators using the term pro-wrestling rather than the god-awful “sports entertainment” and a lifting of the stupid ban on all the other words Vince enforces?

Boyd from Glasgow

Do either of you guys see any other Japanese promotions trying to run shows in the US, possibly even during WrestleMania week?

Hi, what is the relationship like between wrestling media outlets, supportive/competitive? Has it changed at all since forming post wrestling?

Also, was it tougher to gain media credentials at wrestlemania this year than it has been previously?

Thanks.

Which of the following was the most misguided TNA creative direction:
Okada as Okato (Samoa Joe’s sidekick)
Aj Styles And Claire Lynch
Young Bucks as Generation Me
Samoa Joe and ??? (take your pick of bad directions)

When I read back on this history of TNA it is impossible to fathom how it failed to become NXT or at the least reach levels ROH is at today. Granted WCW came at the height of wrestling in the late 90s, how would you compre the misuse of talent between the two.

Also, I would love to read a history of TNA book just to see all the draws in the business today who walked through their doors. In 2010 which company would you have believed would still be around: ROH, PWG or TNA

What are your bucket list items when it comes to wrestling? Any events you’d love to see live or any interviews you would love to do?

With the recent stock surge I have to ask…given the amount of coverage and knowledge you both have about this industry, have you invested ever in WWE stock? Even as a joke to be owners in what you cover? I’m hopeful the answer is yes.

The discussions of tv rights and tracking the business like I enjoy doing finally got me in on WWE stock pre surge and it’s the best payoff the WWE has had in years :grin:

Did either of you ever attend these two wrestling shows in Toronto many years back…

• Some indy show at U of T in either 2003/2004 where Dustin Diamond appeared? Honky Tonk Man may have wrestled?
  • Lucha VaVoom down by the docks in 2003.

If you did, any memories?

The most recent batch of NXT call-ups seem to have been brought up with no plan in mind. Ember is floating aimlessly as just another part of MITB. Almas took a month to debut and is just doing squash matches. AOP isn’t even on TV anymore and Sanity hasn’t even made it to TV.

I think a big part of this is the main roster just being too full, but I also think it might highlight an issue with Hunter running NXT with a different philosophy than Vince does with the main roster. They are pushing different talent in different ways. The talent that Hunter signs and pushes hard in NXT (Ricochet, Aleister Black, etc.) just aren’t Vince’s type of wrestlers. Most of the talent Vince calls up and pushes are acts that didn’t make much or any noise in NXT (Alexa Bliss, Braun Strowman, Baron Corbin, etc.).

Do you think that this constant struggle of Hunter signing and highlighting talent that Vince doesn’t really want to push is sustainable? Does it seem strange that the guy who is scouting and signing the talent has such a different philosophy than the guy who ultimately will control that talent?

1 Like

Two quick questions for you guys. First, with the new TV deals that the WWE has with Fox and ESPN, do you see the big wigs at both stations having a major say on which talent goes on which brand? Second, let’s say you two just got signed to NXT and Hunter tells you to choose a manager between Mr. Fuji, Sensational Sherry or Slick to take you to the top of the WWE roster, who do you choose?