ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Just a follow up question from a few months back…wondering if you ever decided if a hot dog is a sandwich?

Brandon from Oshawa

Do you guys have a favorite gimmick match that doesnt really get much love from the fans? I personally love the World War 3 concept from WCW. It was always so chaotic and sloppy, but it has a special place in my heart and I’ve recently gone back to rewatch them all.

Bill in Omaha

Hey guys,

The Observer recently reported about the WXW-Nick Hein controversy in Germany. Former UFC fighter Nick Hein has right-wing views which many fans at WXW apparently do not agree with. There was even talk of a boycott or walk out on social media, but WXW Manager Tassilo Jung defended Hein. He said while he personally disagrees with Hein’s political views, he will continue to perform and has a right to them. He also said the locker room had no problem with Hein.

What are your views on this situation? While I agree fans have a right to boo and voice their disapproval and I understand Germany has its complicated history, I don’t think its right to “boycott” or threaten a show just because a performer has unpopular political views (unless it delves into hate speech or something equally outrageous.)

Also, what are your thoughts on listeners or patrons who disagree with you politically? Are you comfortable with those who disagree or oppose your politics supporting your work on POST? Thank you for doing what you do.

What was the deal with the WWE producing a Rolling Stones PPV concert a few years back? Why haven’t they done more non-wrestling live events since?

Alex from Minneapolis
2 Questions

1. why do you guys think WrestleMania matches such as Eddie-Rey and Styles-Nakamura werent able to recapture the magic their respective outside matches did? I was always led to believe that Nakamura was holding back until he was in a big match that was worthy of going all out.

2. Do you guys think Joe Rogan and Ian Riccaboni would flourish in the WWE system whether it be Main Roster or NXT?

What NJPW young lion either in the system or on excursion do think will get a major push next?
And what ever happen to Cody Hall?

Imran from Huddersfield

Now that you’re a year into Post Wrestling and it’s been a success for you guys, I was wondering if you were at all apprehensive about starting the project and the Patreon? What were your big concerns at the time, and did you consider looking for other employment at any point?

And in particular John, having just had a baby, were you especially nervous given your financial commitments? And is the real MVP of Post Wrestling John’s wife for supporting him in the launch of Post in what must have been a crazy time of your guys lives!?

If any of this is too private please feel free to skip this question.

I know it’s another similarity to Austin, but should the WWE try to find a way to get McGregor involved with Becky’s Mania plans? Him on Raw would actually pop a rating, but maybe he’s too divisive to put with your top face.

BJ Penn hasn’t won a fight in 8 years. Why is he still fighting, and why does the UFC keep booking him? I appreciate he’s a legend, but it’s sad to see, what effect do you think he’s doing to his legacy?

Gary from Brampton

Hey guys, apologies if this has been asked and answered before but this is my first time getting on Ask-A-Wai, just wanted to know for now are there any plans for you guys to have a meetup for this year’s Wrestlemania?

All the best!

All Elite Wrestling is only in its early days, but I’m curious: who do you think will be the company’s first world champion, tag champion and womens champion, and who will fill out their broadcast team for TV and PPV?

Hey guys.

If AEW signs with Turner on TNT or TBS, or any other cable channel that is not on Canadian cable, who do you see the leading candidate is to snag the Canadian TV rights?

With Rogers’ WWE deal, one would assume that Bell Media/TSN would be on the top of the list.

But with Canadian media ownership being even more concentrated than in the U.S, are there any other viable candidates? Outside of Bell owned media, Corus/Shaw is the only other major group I can think of.

Thanks!

1 Like

On the latest review a wai podcast ziggy mentioned being in Johns wedding and getting a wrestling name. I had a superhero theme at my wedding and my buddys’ have had some wrestling elements at theirs.

If its not too personal can John tell us about the wrestling tie in at his wedding? In the least, what was Wai’s wrestling name? ??

Jake here!

I loved your Review-A-Shop video on Youtube going over the bad and good stuff on WWE Shop. Since you guys don’t sell merch with them anymore, can you guys please do one for ProWrestlingTees.com? Just to make sure you guys are truly unbiased. lol

1 Like

Will the bucks be able to carry over their deal with hot topic now w the start of aew?

Nic from Chatham,

Do you guys think part of the success of the attitude era was because they found the right level of scripting stories without overly scripting the wrestlers and their lines?

Brandon from Oshawa

With AEW starting up and people not knowing who they will and wont work with, I keep hearing more and more about how this is a great time in the business, with companies and wrestlers working together, but is this really that great? I decided to watch a recent episode of MLW with my dad recently, in which Pentagon was against Teddy Hart. My dad, who mainly watches WWE & NJPW said to me…“Does Pentagon wrestle in every promotion?” Again…he doesnt watch these other companies, but he still is aware of how much Pentagon gets around. I love the guy. He’s one of my favorites in the business right now, but I’m on the verge of it becoming too much for me.

I’m beginning to wonder what the incentive is for me to tune into these promotions. Why should I watch Impact, when I can see Pentagon on MLW, AAA, Lucha Underground and vice versa. Sure, there is a few different guys mixed in here and there, but it feels like the indies are one giant company right now. I want to get into AEW, but I find myself hesitant, because one of their first teases of a feud is MJF & Joey Janela, who I’m pretty sure I just watched feud on MLW a couple months ago.

I just feel like if AEW is going to truly succeed on another level from other promotions, they need exclusivity with all their talent. One of the only bright spots of WWE right now, is the thought of someone signing there and having new, fresh matches with all of those talents on that roster. I dont feel that way outside of the WWE.

One podcast I listen to outside of the Post Wrestling family is WTF with Marc Maron, and one thing that has been talked about repeatedly is what makes a good comedy room. The general agreement, even amongst comedians who play stadiums, is that a small, intimate room is best. With this in mind, what is your opinion of wrestling? Do you feel like it is something that is best experienced in a smaller venue, or do you feel it plays out better to larger crowds. If you think that it’s better experienced in venues the size of stadiums or larger, do you feel wrestlers like Zack Sabre Jr are less likely to get over in front of bigger crowds, since it’s so much harder to see the intricacies when so many people are so far away from the ring?

Would Kevin Owens be in a true top spot if he was in good shape? This guy has all the other tools in spades

In your honest opinion has there ever been a company who wasted money, driven away fans or burn more bridges with talent that of “TNA / IMPACT / ANTHEM / GLOBAL FORCE WRESTLING”?

In 2009 they were the 2nd biggest wrestling company in the world, had better in ring wrestlers then WWE, and were about to go live every Monday against RAW. Now in 2019 they are on a no name channel with not even a fraction of their 2009 audience. In the same time other company’s like NJPW & ROH have overpassed TNA, and new competition has emerged in the form of MLW & AEW. Will TNA be more then a tape library come 2029?