ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Hey guys,

Two part question.

With announcements like the Women’s Wrestling Summit, WXW, and the SMASH &Progress show running Toronto over Summerslam weekend, looks like Toronto is going to get a bunch of indy shows that week.

What do you think is the saturation point in Toronto or even the GTA for shows over Summerslam weekend?

What show gimmick, wrestler, or even promotion that we haven’t seen yet over a Mania or other big WWE show weekend do you think would do really well in Toronto over Summerslam weekend?

Thanks!

Branavan From Ajax:

What are the most aggravating instances of WWE depushing or not taking advantage of a wrestler’s popularity with fans that you can remember?

Alex from Maple

Do you guys suscribe to marvel unlimited? I’ve recently gotten it on my IPad and highly recommend it.

Also do you guys plan to attend Summerslam/takeover this year given it’s at the Scotiabank arena in Toronto?

Hi I was wondering why people think it’s ok for someone like Meltzer to talk about how he doesn’t believe Roman’s oral chemo story on his podcast and it’s fine but when wwe says the word leukemia people call it tasteless, shouldn’t everyone get held to the same standard

Ari from montreal

This might be super random but i keep forgetting to ask this question here it is. During Montreal Canadian home games, when the Habs get a powerplay they play wwe superstar music. They have played finn balors song, kevin owens and even did seth rollins burn it down. Do u guys know why this might be the reason?

Can I do a weekly podcast with John where we review each episode of Dallas, possibly while half drunk?

Imran from Huddersfield

Where do you feel Wrestling’s current standing within the mainstream media is currently? With The Rock, John Cena and Batista all crossing over to be mainstream actors/stars, and with Rhonda Rousey being in the WWE, and other wrestlers constantly seeming to crop up on ESPN and other talk shows, I feel like wrestling is more over within the mainstream then it has been since the late 90’s.

And if you do think that Wrestling is more over then it has been for a while, why are TV ratings still so low?

If you guys aren’t super into the Mexican scene, feel free to skip this one.

With WWE, ROH, and AEW (rightly) trying to make women prominent pieces of their promotions, they have all acquired joshi talent, and WWE in particular has acquired female British and Australian talent, but none of them seem to have obvious interest in luchadoras; why not? Is the talent just not there? Is the style too different?

I guess the larger question is, why has female talent from across both ponds been integrated into many facets of the American scene while luchadoras have not? Pentagon and Fenix opened the door for the new gen of Mexican talent, and now you can see all kinds of male luchadors anywhere, yet the only luchadora who has seemed to cross over is Taya, and even then, she’s an English-speaking Canadian. Impact seems to be the only place you can see luchadoras, and even then it’s rare, but people like Keyra and Faby Apache looked fine enough on those shows interacting with American talent. Just wondering, if there is such a rush to acquire female talent, why the bigger promotions are not looking into this seemingly untapped resource?

David from Israel

Kind of an off topic question but I’m thinking about buzzing my hair, John how much has buzzing your hair made your life easier? And does it get rough being with short hair during the cold days in Canada?

And for Wai, How do you keep your hair looking so fresh after wearing a hat? Whenever I wear a hat my hair ends up looking like shit.

Thanks guys!

As journalists, how do you guys feel about the Wilson-Raybould leaked tapes to the media?

As podcasters, how do you guys feel about JWR just releasing all this free audio content with no real plan of revenue generation?

Rory from Pennsylvania

Hey John and Wai. Love the podcast. I really enjoy when you guys discuss non-wrestling related topics but of course love the wrestling-related content too. I am curious if you guys would have any interest in reviewing music albums, either nominated by the listeners or albums you both think were either classics or duds or you both had mixed feelings on? Keep up the great work.

Mike from Fall River, Massachusetts

Hey John & Wai, I’m a first time Ask-A-Wai forum poster. I’m a avid New Japan fan and viewer . I was just curious as to what your viewing habits are when watching New Japan tournament shows like NJPW cup or a G1. Me personally, I usually watch them hours later after it airs live and fast forward through the opening multi tag matches to the tournament matches unless it involves a favorite wrestler of mine like Ibushi or a Naito. I feel that those tag matches are a bit redundant and it’s hard to commit 3 hours every couple of days for the length of the tournament. I’m always eager to see the great quality of matches these tournaments bring.

Thank you guys for everything you do. I listen and download every show. You guys are my number 1 source of everything pro wrestling. Keep up the great work!

Joe Pressler from Vienna, Austria

After your great conversation with Kenny Omega and John comparing him to Bret Hart, I went back and watched “Wrestling with Shadows”:

What do you guys remember about the time, when the documentary came out? What were some of the ripple effects after the release? Were there some law suits for example for Hart wearing a hidden microphone while talking to Vince McMahon during their conversation before the Survivor Series match?

I hear John is looking for a new cooking show, has he seen or heard of the Great British Bake off ?

This is not a question, but yes! This show is tremendous, my favourite cooking show!

Michael from Canada via Korea.

Wai: what comic books are you reading these days?

Ricky from Vancouver,

Hey guys,

How come WWE don’t do any Monday Night Raw or Smackdown Live in Vancouver, B.C? We only get few house shows a year….

Are you guys aware of the country called Wales?

I live here and it seems we are completely forgotten by WWE. We get a house show each year but that’s it. I thought with the launch of NXT UK we may finally see something but alas - nothing. Just wondering if the wider world knows we exist.
Our stadium has a retractable roof so always thought we be in line for some kind of event - Anthony Joshua has fought here a few times. But WWE just wont give us a look in.

Also - about a year ago I invited you to James Rose wedding. The stag doo (batchelor party) is booked - all Patrons welcome. We will be in Spain from September 6th to 9th. Look for a Borat Mankini with a Dad bod

I live in Liverpool and I didnt even know you existed until now. Hello Wales!