ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Alexander from Portland

Do you think we’ll eventually get a Keith Lee/Brock Lesnar feud? I don’t know how long Lesnar is under contract, and Lee may become a long stay with NXT.

Will this year probably decide if Naito is a hall of famer?

Imran from Huddersfield

Do you think Wrestling has the same live viewing attraction that other Sports do? I don’t know what it is but I never have the need to watch Wrestling live like I do with other sports - maybe its due to the advert breaks, or the pre-determined nature of the whole thing, or maybe it’s because I’m in the UK so i’m used to watching Wrestling on delay (no way i’m staying up until 4am to watch a show).

Do you both feel the same way? Or do you feel that Wrestling does as much as other sports to pull in a live audience.

What ever happened to Rick Steiner? Was he ever considered to be brought in after WWF bought WCW.

Could you see The Steiners being inducted to the WWE HOF anytime soon?

Anthony from Melbourne

After just concluding watching 14 hours of NJPW over WK weekend I have to bring up a significant issue that really hit me.

Despite them also being culprits of producing too much content in a short amount of time which should receive some negative backlash much like WWE recives, NJPW still put on hands down the best wrestling matches.

While they are pushing to make a presence in USA and by proxy English speaking contries, their integration of English to their content is VERY poor. In 2020 pre-produced packages should be dubbed in English and when its a segment where you want to hear the performer speak, such as Tanahashi‘s Jericho parody entrence video, English subtitles are a must! As Wai mentioned in your review, none of you knew what he was singing and you would look for a translation later, this is unacceptable if you want to make a real presence in English speaking countries.

I have no issue with Chris’s amazing live translation of promos as it adds to the charm of the product but in my opinion if they are serious about global explanation they need English subtitles and Dubs where appropriate, would love to hear your thoughts.

Also on this, what are the subtitles that are included in their content?

1 Like

Much the same way as technology keeps advancing, it seems wrestlers are always raising the bar of how athletic, acrobatic and creative they can be in the ring. I remember watching X Division in TNA more than a decade ago and thinking it couldn’t possibly get any crazier. We went from splashes being impressive, to shooting star press, 450, and now 630. The likes of Hiromu, Ospreay, Ricochet, Lucha Brothers are still pushing the limits. My question is, do you think we’ve reached a ceiling, or like technology will it just keep going? I feel at some point wrestling will have to evolve in a different way because moves themselves will have reached their limit. What do you think wrestling will have evolved to 20 or even 50 years from now?

Ari from Mtl
Happy new year hope you guys have a safe flight back from japan.

With these “double champs”, do u guys ever see any company doing a WCW lance storm like run where he won every title except the world title?

What is your favorite place to get pizza, what toppings do you get and… what is your opinion on cold pizza for breakfast?

Krish from the UK.

I wanted to start off by saying I greatly enjoyed all the coverage you guys did from Japan - especially all the Lens updates. Happy to be supporting your great work.

On to my question - I saw quite a few top 10 wrestlers of the decade list in the last couple of weeks and the one common thing was some notable absences in my mind (Shingo Takagi - (his DG run seems to have not been captured), Jay Briscoe (ROH) and Takashi Sugiura (Noah)). While all 3 would easily make my top 10 - I wanted to know where would you have them in your wrestler of the decade lists.

Also given the lack of visibility towards non WWE, NJPW, AEW promotions - do you think someone like Kento Miyahara would be prevalant within these sort of rankings the coming decade if he were to remain in AJPW or would he need to move to one of the more popular organizations to garner more adulation within the general fan base.

Thanks as always,
Krish

By the time that the next Ask-A-Wai is due, I look forward to hear that you have come home safe and sound. I wonder if any of you have any other wrestling related pilgrimage travels left that you haven’t visited yet.

Eric From Illinois:

Out of the promotions listed below, which do you think has the best chance for long-term success and growth?

Promotions: MLW, Impact, ROH, and NWA.

Question for John since he was at the 1/3 All Japan show.

Thoughts on Jake Lee after seeing him live? I think he’s a very good wrestler but just lacks the level of cowd connection that I feel Naoya Nomura and Yuma Aoyagi have developed. I think Nomura and Aoyagi have a higher ceiling than Lee.

Just wondering now that you saw him in a big spot live, if you think Lee can be one of the top names in the company?

Thanks!

Chris Thunder from Down Under

Has a match ever made you just feel disappointed to the competitors, as in a “their just past their prime” kind of way of the Kurt Angle retirement tour?

For myself it would have to be Undertaker V Triple H at Super Show-Down (Melbourne) as the match just seemed to go on forever when their live in the grandstand.

Mj

Why do you think we haven’t seen a Netflix service take on a Pro Wrestling show? I think of something like Powerrr and how it’s constructed and feel like if this was on Netflix and new batches of episodes dropped every few weeks it would be very unique in it feels like a TV show not a wrestling show.

Are their issues with talents’ contracts that would prevent it from this type of distribution?

EDITED 1/27/2020

John, I understand you grew up a huge basketball fan as a teenager. What was your reaction to the news of Kobe? Seeing how much attention this has gotten all over the world, he was like one of those larger than life figures that you’d think would live forever.

Alexander from Portland

The main event of WrestleMania last year was Becky/Charlotte/Ronda. It looks possible that the main event of WrestleMania this year could be Becky Lynch and Shayna Baszler. While the women’s division on the main roster has significantly grown over the past five or so years, it seems like Becky Lynch has been in the majority of main event PPV women’s matches. How strong would you say the main roster women’s division is without Becky? Are there any potential matchups that don’t involve Becky or Ronda that you could realistically see main eventing WrestleMania or even SummerSlam?

Dan From Denver

Hey guys! Does the Fight Network/Anthem Entertainment own the rights to “Live Audio Wrestling”? Were you expecting them to re-brand the show at some point? Do you feel as a brand the L.A.W. would still have any value if you obtained the rights for Post Wrestling? Keep up the great work.

Hi Guys,

I believe you mentioned in one of the Wrestle Kingdom reviews that the crowd is sectioned off so that all/most of the non-Japanese fans are in the same area of the Dome. Can you advise how this is accomplished, and what the intention behind this is? Could WH have gotten tickets for himself/yourselves in the lower section if he wanted to?

Brandon from Oshawa

With the new Raiders stadium opening this year in Vegas, do you think we’ll see a future Wrestlemania weekend there? If so, how soon do you see it happening?

To me, it would seem like the perfect place to have a weekend like that, with everything in such close proximity.

Boydy D from Glasgow

Do you think there would have been value in Vince retaining and running WCW as a brand after purchasing it in 2001 and if he had done so, do you think it would still be around today and NXT wouldn’t?