ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Chris Thunder from Down Under.

Have you guys ever had a show full of off-air problems.

Be it an un-recorded file, poor audio quality, or just didn’t feel right to release for some reason?

What advice would you have to anyone who may have experienced this.

Anthony from Melbourne

(apologies for the loaded question)

How many of the recently released WWE talents can you see going to AEW? (Ignoring AEWs financial constraints due to COVID-19)

My concern is AEW becomes like TNA did back in the day and starts to be seen as a “WWE-Lite”. I think there is select talent that would be good for them to obtain but they would need to be careful because they also have a problem with getting talent over and giving them back stories, who even is Riho?

A solution to this may be to bring in some talent territory style similar to Jeff Cob, I could see Rowan fitting this mould. He could oppose Mr Brody, calling him a sheep in wolf’s clothing to elude to their previous characters and eventually loose, never to be seen again. Although would having a heel go over under these circumstances put heat on AEW instead of Brody?

Bethany from Austin, TX

How do you pronounce “Quebec”? With a “k” sound or a “kw” sound? I’ve always pronounced it with the “k” sound. I’m not sure where I got that. Maybe it was from my two years of French in high school.

I hear Canadians pronounce it both ways. Why do some use the “k” sound and others use the “kw” sound?

Thanks for all of the great content! Your podcasts are the highlights of my week!

Chris Thunder from Down Under

With all of the recent WWE releases from the “Black Wednesday” would anyone have a case for unfair dismissal?

I belive Maria Kanellis should have a case, as she was on maternity leave, being pregnant with her 2nd child.

Then again it would depend on the contracts wording & the laws in the us in reguards to firing a woman on marternity leave.

Jordan from Kitchener,

Hi, John and Wai,

With the MCU reviews coming to a close do you guys have any plans to do a roundtable for Endgame in a few months? Are you guys even thinking that far down the road yet? I really enjoy these reviews and look forward to re-listening to all of them in sequence this summer.

Thanks guys, take care and stay safe.

During this quarantine, are there any famous matches or shows you’ve never seen before that you’ve finally managed to watch?

Thanks!

Hopefully this doesn’t sound too stupid and long-winded.

Obviously he’s made his impact, but is Cena as a performer that influential in wrestling? Some of it may be due to the age of the generation that would’ve grown up on him, but I never hear him referred to as a wrestler’s favourite wrestler/inspiration. What about him as a top guy is so distinctly “Cena”? His presentation and packaging would be seen as a new age Hogan, with promo abilities seen as Rock-esque, with the content of the promos being a combined version of the men just mentioned.

If anything, his matches. booking, and presentation were things that hardcore fans were pushing back against, and other companies went out of their way to not do with their talent.

Chris from Melbourne. Been a while.

JR says “Orange Cassidy, no pulp.”

Wouldn’t pulp orange juice be the more pure, un-augmented choice?

What are your thoughts on this very controversial subject? Do you guys have a personal juice preference?

I like my orange juice pulpy and my peanut butter crunchy.

Hi, Could there be legal problems for vince mcmahon lying to investors about wwes involvement with xfl funding?

You have a magic pen and can change 1 pro wrestling moment for the betterment of wrestling long term. Which, if any, of these do you choose?

1. Bret Hart defeats Shawn Michaels in Montreal and the screwjob never occurs.
  2. Hiroshi Tanahashi pins Chris Jericho in a botched finish at Wrestle Kingdom to win the AEW title.
  3. Cody doesn’t add the 1 time only stip to his title match with Jericho.
  4. Undertaker pins Lesnar leaving the streak intact.
  5. Goldberg pins Nash for the title and the doom finger is never poked.

I know you aren’t fans of these questions but thought I’d ask. Thanks

from New Jersey

Some dark side questions

1. Does it shock you that the WWE never reached out to David Benoit or Nancy’s family after the tragedy? aside from Chris Jericho & Chavo, nobody ever reached out.
  2. did it seem like Nancy argentino’s family backed off a little too easily & accepted what they were told? I can’t imagine the pain and anguish, just seemed odd.

Chris from Cork

I remember back in February, John posted a thread asking for requests for potential future guests for the show. Just wondering if there has been any progress on getting some of these names that you can share, or has this been put on hold for now thanks to CoVid? Thanks!

Hey guys. This quarantine has me wondering about some dumb/irrelevant things right now. Sorry Wai, this is kind of for John as it pertains to coffee.

John, what do you consider a cup? I ask because sometimes I hear you say you’re on your third cup or even more on some days. As a parent of a 2&4 year old, I find myself having 2-3 cups per day to maintain energy levels while being stuck working from home. My cup consists of a large mug that is close to 4 cups according to the coffee makers measurements. What cup do you drink out of? Is it a small cup or do you count a large travel mug as 1cup? Just curious because on bad days I say I had 3 cups when really it was equal to like 10-12 cups per my coffee maker. Does this even make sense?

If not, what type of cup do you drink out of?

1 Like

Brandon from Oshawa

How do you guys think WWE & AEW should return with their first shows in front of a live crowd? I’m assuming that even with a live crowd, they still may not be able to fill them up, until a later date. Should they go with big, promoted shows, such as a big title match or maybe a MITB cash in for WWE? Maybe Blood and Guts for AEW? Or should they just have normal episodes and wait longer until they can get more people in the building?

Eric from Miami, when and how did you figure out that you guys should do banter before a review. I say this in reference to the start of the April 27th Rewind A Raw with mint and sriracha. I’ve been listening to you since 2012 and I’ve always appreciated you guys allowing your personality to show in those first 8 to 15 minutes.

I admittingly do not watch AEW as much as the next casual fan and instead track it via your podcast as well as normal chatter sites, but is Kenny Omega the equivalent to a young small-market star player joining a loaded team with championship aspirations and assimilating to a role-player’s role? His internet chatter (as well as your podcast chatter) has decreased dramatically and while I have theories I believe your responses would be morphed to respond to the theories and not the notion that somehow Kenny Omega, one of the perceived best wrestlers in the world, is not the marque wrestler on a show he has a large influence on (and frankly a show that needs to bring in the biggest audience possible so it wouldn’t make sense if he’s “holding back” during its infancy stage)

1 Like

I was very impressed how AEW started out with a nice balance of Indy guys, unknowns and ex-WWE stars. But now I’m afraid they might be falling into the TNA trap where they are getting too many ex-WWE guys and pushing them instead of the lesser known young wrestlers.
With so many recently released WWE guys, will they flood AEW and diminish the product?

1 Like

1.) With the recent changes to the pro wrestling industry due to the coronavirus, I’ve been wondering about TV ratings. Why is so much importance placed on ratings when they are only measured based on what around 40,000 people watch? Whether I watch a wrestling show doesn’t matter and isn’t counted in the ratings, and I would say it would be the same for most of the Post Wrestling family. Especially during this time, where some of the special people that are counted, and represent a significant portion of wrestling’s usual TV rating, may be turned off by watching any kind of live sports where combatants are physically interacting. If they stop watching, it makes the rating decrease, while wrestling’s hardcore fanbase, which isn’t being counted, is still tuning in. Is this a misconception?

2.) I’ve been thinking about wrestling news and spoilers during this time. While I don’t expect any sources to be given, are spoilers reported on websites during this time given out freely by the companies as a promotional tactic? There aren’t any fans at tapings, so information can’t come that way. Also, if an employee of a company was giving out information to wrestling news sites continually, why would that company continue to employ that person?

Brandon from Oshawa

What do you guys see as the legacy of the empty arena era, when all is said and done? Do you expect WWE to put out any documentaries, like a 24 special? Will we get an empty arena mode in the next WWE game? Or will they largely try to forget that this era ever existed?

A couple of quick techy questions. A friend and I are messing about with audio recording, not so much out of wanting to start a podcast, but more just wanting to learn some of the basics of how to do it.

1. In cardioid mode, for a solo speaking voice, where is best to set the gain control on a Blue Yeti mic? I’ve read conflicting advice but I find that anything other than a very small move up from minimum results in it picking up far too much.

2. Audacity isn’t currently compatible with the latest Mac OS. Is Call Recorder by Ecamm worth the 40 bucks? It seems like a pretty idiot-proof way to capture high-quality local audio from a Skype conversation.

Thanks!