ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Two Qs this month:

1. How important is the role of the road agent in the setting up of a match and/or storyline? Are agents/producers still necessary in this day and age, in your opinion?

2. When you both were attending shows when you were kids, did you guys like to make noise and would cheer and boo, chant, raising your hands up, etc and would you still guys still do that today (if not in a COVID world obviously) if not doing this as a full-time job when attending live events?

Ari from Montreal

Did any of you get into Money Heist (casa de papel) during confinement? If so did u enjoy it?

Also which type are you guys:
A) watch it in original language with english subtitles
B) english dubbed version

Erin from Brampton

Hey guys!

Now that youā€™re almost done reviewing the MCU, would you consider reviewing other superhero movies that are not tied to MCU? How would you feel about reviewing the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, the Nolan Batman trilogy, and the FOX X-Men series?

Brandon from Oshawa

What is the point of PPV pre shows any more? Do you guys think anyone actually watches these for WWE or AEW and decides that they are then going to order the PPV? All they do is show the same video packages that they have either shown already during the week, or will repeat during the PPV and they have a meaningless match.

Wouldnt it make more sense to use that time, to maybe shoot more angles or stories, that will lead into the PPV, that make you actually want to order it to see the continuation?

Hi! Question for John. I would imagine that watching wrestling and talking about wrestling takes up most of your days, so Iā€™m very impressed that you still find time to do good, thorough reporting on basically all big news stories. You also seem to have a lot of good sources and connections in the industry.
Can you talk a little about how you keep up with the news? Do you have a daily routine? Do you actively seek new stories by talking to your connections, or is it more that you follow up on news thatā€™s already out there?

Stu from Liverpool,

Of all the wrestling books Iā€™ve read Iā€™ve enjoyed some more than others. In an autobiographical sense Iā€™ve found the first two Mick Foley books and the Bret Hart one to be the best of that sub-genre. In a historical context I really enjoyed The Death of WCW and, based on how much John lauded it, I have Nitro by Guy Evans next up.

1. What makes a book un-put-downable for you guys?
  2. Which book has disappointed you the most from how much it splintered from your expectations?
  3. Is there a book thatā€™s the closest to a complete (and fair) anthology on the WWE?

Sorry for trying to squeeze 3 in, I know this will be near the end of the show and you want to just finish up!

Imran from Huddersfield

In hindsight, do you think that a) The Undertakers streak ended at the right time, and b) he lost it to the right person in Brock

Hi guys. A very happy Canada Day for Wednesday.

Do either of you have nicknames, beyond the ones we know, perhaps given to you by close friends or family?

In the interests of sharing, mine are just variations on my surname: most of my school friends call me ā€œFlannā€, a few insist on ā€œFlandersā€, and a couple of very annoying pals call me ā€œFlandangoā€.

Quick supplementary: Wai, please remind me of the origin of ā€œCowboyā€. I recall it becoming a thing around this time last year, but canā€™t remember where it came from.

Episodes of TV shows such as Little Britain and Always Sunny in Philadelphia are being pulled from streaming services over their use of blackface. Do you foresee WWE doing the same for the Raw episodes where DX impersonated the Nation?

Nick from Detroit,

How you you feel about the PPVs in place of the weekly show as opposed to the pay-to-watch (WWE Network) style? I really think placing a few PPVs a year in place of the weekly show is a great way to get people more interested in watching. Personally, I donā€™t want WWE for various reasons, but I will be watching Great American Bash because its on television and Iā€™m very interested in a few of the matches.

Seems like a good idea to consistently have a few PPVs a year be able to watch on television. What do you guys think?

Brandon from Oshawa

John, did you watch the Dallas continuation that ran from 2012-2014? If so, what did you like and dislike about it and what were your thoughts on how JR was written out of the show? How epic was the opening credits of that episode?

Boyd - Glasgow

With last weekā€™s Dynamite hitting an all-time low rating and the Jericho and Orange Cassidy segment being their lowest rated quarter hour ever, do you think AEW needs to reconsider their direction? The debut episode attracted an audience of 1.409 million which suggests their was an audience looking for something different but they have lost around 50% of those viewers (myself included). I was looking for the sports based pro-wrestling alternative to the crap WWE ā€œentertainmentā€ vision that Cody alluded to but AEW appears to be repeating the mistakes of WCW in its final two years by trying to out WWE the WWE. Why do you think half the audience who tuned in the first two weeks have tuned out?

1 Like

Nick from New Jersey

Wai, who is your top heel and top baby face from too hot to handle? For me the top heels are Francesca and Harry, while there is absolutely 0 faces.

John, have you watched Outerbanks on Netflix, riverdale took a huge dive for me after the dungeon and dragons storyline.

Thanks for your work as always!

Thoughts on the Canadian Destroyer? Do you think it is used too much, especially as a transition move? And are there any other big moves in wrestling youā€™d like to see less of, not because they are dangerous, but you think they are overused and no longer feel special?

Thanks!

Valentin from Germany
Hi guys,

Two things: 1) Can you explain how WWE and WXW are intertwined? Is it still in the talks to introduce their programming to the WWE network?
2) Back in the LAW days you used to start your review shows with soundbites of the most relevant scenes of each show and ended it with a clip of the funniest/ weirdest bit.
I always really enjoyed those, would it be possible to include those in your current shows? It would add a bit, especially for those of us who only rely on your recaps instead of watching the whole shows.

Thanks for the great work, stay safe.

Matthew, Vancouver

I recently finished the excellent 8th Wonder of the World biography of Andre the Giant by Bertand Herbert and Pat Laparde.

1. Jon, If you could write a book on a wrestler of your choice whom would it be and why? Same question
  2. Same question for Wai, but the output would be a documentary.

Thanks for great content. Youā€™ve kept me sane during the past four mouths of not working, Iā€™m back to work this coming Monday.

Paul from New Jersey

Are you guys aware that the TV show Dallas helped topple

communism? According to national geographic & JR himself, people of Romania witnessed lives of luxury & realized their government was lying to them. Dictator Nicolas Ceausescu & wife were executed on Christmas Day 1989. Some would say this is just a claim from Larry Hagman a.k.a. JR Ewing, But there seems to be many people backing up his statement. North Korean freedom fighters have adopted this very same technique.

1 Like

Chris Thunder from Down Under.

John, you have said a number of times on past Ask-A-Waiā€™s that youā€™d like to see a documentary on promoter Jim Barnett.

While I donā€™t know of any documantry specifically focused on Jim Barnett himself, their are two DVD documentary focused on his Australian based promotion, World Champion Wrestling (1964-1978).

• ā€œRuff, Tuff & Realā€ (2007)
  • ā€œOver The Top Ropeā€ (2017)

I doubt that you have either release before or the book ā€œ100 Years of Australian Professional Wrestlingā€ released in 1998 but if you like I could send you a copy?

1 Like

Alexander from Portland

Last year I traveled internationally for the first time because of work, taking me out to Montreal.

1. Iā€™ve seen websites that say the city is pronounced either MON-treal or MUN-treal. Is the pronunciation a deal any?
  2. What are your individual thoughts about the city? Does Montreal have any stereotypes specific to Canada?
  3. As Canadians, what are your thoughts on French Canada? Iā€™ve heard from so many people, Canadian and non, that say French Canadians are generally more difficult to deal with. Has that been your experience?
  4. I havenā€™t traveled as much as many others, but Iā€™d say Montreal was the most beautiful city Iā€™ve visited. From the architecture to Mount Royal, the street decorations to the geography and layout of the city. What would be your short list for the most beautiful Canadian cities to visit?

thanks!

Imran from Huddersfield

Whatā€™s the deal with WWE Films/Studios these days? Do they still create any projects alone, or do they just co-fund projects with other studios now? Is it a very profitable division?

Also would you have been interested to see WWE go even MORE cinematic with some of these matches? For some reason when they initially announced the Money In the Bank match at the WWE HQ, I imagined in my head they would shoot it like a movieā€¦ something like Mortal Kombat meets The Raidā€¦ with different cuts/lighting/direction etc. instead of your typical WWE backstage filming.

1 Like