ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Has Wai built any good Lego lately? Or what Lego has interested him?

With the failed WWE rankings system now seemingly on the out, do you think that WWE would benefit from reducing the championship belts again to improve competitiveness?

If they had one championship per division i.e. mens, womens, and tag teams - which were defended on either brand. But kept the Intercontinental and US as mid tier belts in place on their own respective brands, do you think that the overall match up quality could be improved and investment between viewers and the product?

When a wrestler is outside the ring in NJPW and is in the process of being counted out, any idea why the ring announcer says the numbers in English?

This one is Wrestlemania related so I hope it gets answered on the show.

While Iā€™ve never attended WM, I really enjoyed listening last year to find out Johnā€™s secret code word for a hug.

What is this yearā€™s ā€œUltimate Thrillrideā€?

If you were heading up NJPWā€™s efforts to expand into North America, what initiatives or strategies would you pursue? Do you think the NJPW/ROH partnership will continue to be mutually beneficial if NJPW is interested in a long-term foothold in North America?

Why doesnā€™t Tama Tonga get a bigger push as a single? He seems to be ā€œoverā€ and would, at least, have a great heel run.

Why isnā€™t Sable in the hall of fame?

If this has been asked before, feel free to skip.
Do you think Wrestlemania would be better off as a two day event? Rather than cram as many performers into mutiple triple threat matches and battle royals, they could be spread out over two three hour shows plus pre-show. What do you see as the pros and cons of such an endeavor?
Also my 8 year old daughter wants to know how long you guys can hold your breath.

Hi. Do you think Wwe should start distancing themselves from performers for past behaviours or are wrestlers held to a far lower standard than others in the public eye?

It is still treated as a humourous story when those in wrestling speak about Ric flair exposing himself to airline and hotel staff, and the one time I listened to his podcast (Kevin Sullivan ep) flair himself gleefully speaks about sexually exploiting a waitress.

Others in entertainment appear to have been blacklisted for similar behaviour. And how historical or if the perpetrator has been under the influence of alcohol has not been accepted as a valid excuse.

Thanks.

John, since listening to your UFC 22 recap and hearing about the crazy judging from Adelaide Byrd, Iā€™ve wanted to know how does one become a MMA judge? Seems like a sport where a former fighter or trainer would make a good judge, but I guess thatā€™s not how itā€™s done. Do you think you would make a good judge?

1 Like
  • Outside of WrestleMania weekend, are their any shows that you two are planing to travel to either together or individually?

• Which show will you be watching live, WWE NXT Takeover or ROH Supercard of Honor?

• Any more information regarding the rumored Australia show at Melbourneā€™s MCG?

What do you think the end game is for the Bullet Club/Golden Lovers/Elite storyline? It seems the Bucks are catching on that Cody is a negative force but what does it mean for the future? Will they reunite The Elite with Ibushi in the fold against a Cody-led Club? As good as heā€™s been, he just wouldnā€™t be as compelling as a heel on his own without a group backing him.

With the news that Toronto was considered for the All In location, where do you think New Japan should go next after they run the Cow Palace? It seems like the northeast is due for an event.

1 Like

Bradshaw was 37 when he was converted from a mid-card act to JBL.

Considering Cesaro and the Miz are 37/38.
Who would you rather see main event Wrestlemania.
A re-branded bad-ass Cesaro or the current often excellent Miz character?

Do you ever see Cesaro getting a World Championship run?

John, what did you make of the way Dave Meltzer handled the Michael Elgin controversy and the criticism he received from fellow prominent journalists Ryan Satin, David Bixenspan, etc?

1 Like

Hey John and Wai been a long time listener and Ive always wanted to know, if you could pick just one what is your favorite match of all time? Loving the new platform guys keep up the amzing work!!!

Hey guys, this one is directed towards Wai: you have stated that youā€™ve kind of fell off the MMA bandwagon as of late, and part of the reason is a lot of the bigger stars (Conor, GSP, Jon Jones) have all disappeared for the time being. My question is, do fighters who are guaranteed to put on a 5 star fight, but arenā€™t A list stars, spark enough interest for you to tune into their fight? Say, some crazy fight like Justin Gaethje vs Robbie Lawler was announced, are you watching that card?

Seeing as how Carmella won the Money in the Bank briefcase on June 27th, 2017. And this years PPV being on June 17th, could you envision a scenario where this years winner cashes in that same night only for Carmella to cash in right after seeing as she would legally still have 10 days remaining? I think this could be a pretty useful way to generate heat, especially if itā€™s cashed in on a babyface i.e. Becky, Naomi, etc. And it could be fresh as itā€™s something we havenā€™t seen done before with the briefcase.

What do you guys think of New Japan bringing their Strong Style Evolved shows to the UK at the end of June (30th of June - Milton Keynes/1st July - Manchester) with the help of Rev Pro?
Also, how do you think this would effect the shows that they do in partnership with Rev Pro? Do you think the joint shows would still have the special attraction as they once did before? As this was how I discovered a lot of New Japanā€™s talent from attending Rev Pro shows.
Keep up the great work!

With the recent almost injury of AJ Styles at a house show, do you think the WWE should start scaling back house shows? It seems like most of the time when wrestlers get injured itā€™s usually at house shows. Iā€™ve looked at other wrestling forum sites and some suggested to scrap house shows all together, which is silly considering that the WWE does make money from house shows. But one guy suggested for the roster to alternate each week, which I thought was a good idea. Thoughts?

Hi John and Wai,

Iā€™m a new fan of your work, not having been a listener to your previous platform.

You guys are clearly very good friends and have excellent chemistry so Iā€™m a little curious about you as people.

Iā€™m not asking for your life stories, but could you talk a little about your backgrounds, how you became pals ā€” that sort of thing?