ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Feel free to skip this question and ask it to WH on the next Post Puroresu if he would know more on the subject

Does AEW’s partnership with NJPW signal that their relationship with CyberFight is likely dead in the water?

CyberFight has stated that they want to overtake NJPW as the #1 wrestling promotion, and recent history with NOAH shows that NJPW has no trouble steamrolling domestic partners. I know the CF/AEW relationship so far has mainly been TJPW talent like Yuka and Maki making excursions, but: Kenny has worked DDT since being in AEW; Konsuke Takeshita came over and was even paired with The Elite; and Nakazawa is clearly in AEW’s actual inner circle and he used to be EVP over at DDT. I was really excited for performers like Tetsuya Endo or Jun Akiyama to show their stuff in front of a large American audience with AEW talent, but that seems less and less likely as promotions like CyberFight or ROH have seemingly missed out on the current AEW/IMPACT/AAA/NJPW partnerships.

What wrestling theme song would be your karaoke choice if you had to pick?

Hi Wai and John. First of all , I wanna give a shout out to the great “Latvian Twin Peaks Express” Phil Chertok. We need more content from him👍

I have a couple of questions for you.

I have been trying to catch up with AEW , im circa a half year behind. Have I been missing something ? Because I see Cody being a heel with his grandios entrances, his connections with celebrities, his wardrobe,the tattoo, the entourage and the promos around all of his success but the commentators seems to think he is the biggest babyface in the company.
Even Stardust wasnt this delusional!

Secondly, reviewing different promotions. How aware are you about not trying to sound biased towards one of the promotions?

Do you ever give someone or an angle a pass just because you want them to succeed contra to a company like WWE where you except more of, if you can follow what Im hinting at?

My last question and thank you for answering them. Remember when TNA got “inspired” by Sons of Anarchy and Dexter to name a few shows.

If a wrestling company would do the same now, which tv series right now could you see get inspiration from?
Succession?Better Call Saul?Wandavision? What we do in the shadows?

Thank you for your time

Hey guys,

As a longtime fan of both, I was just wondering if you could tell us how your WrestleMania Preview came together. For me, it was the show I was most looking forward to during that week with my son being born WrestleMania weekend, and it did not disappoint. We know you said you all had a conversation, and I’m not asking for the contents of that although one day that could be a great Podcast. Just whose idea was it to come together, and who reached out to whom. Also, is there anything coming up with everyone down the line, and did you guys have to see how Braden felt about it?

Branavan From Ajax: Now that John has finished The Wire, what are his thoughts of it as a whole? Also if you guys ever decide to do a Wire podcast could you guys call it Wai Down In The Hole?

Do either of you know the details of the TV deal that AEW has in the UK? I’d like to dive deeper into the product but it’s harder to avoid reports and wrestling social media for 2 whole days and I would rather not resort to “alternative” methods.

Jake from The Windy City

1. John, I know people here in the forum have been wondering what you interviewing Vince McMahon would look like. I know you’ve interviewed Dana White numerous times over the years, what was it like having those 1-on-1s with him. Do you find the guy interesting and sincere considering his flamboyant personality?
1 Like

Not trying to be morbid but what do you think is more likely after Vince passes, the company is sold or Stephanie and HHH take over?

When an NXT talent is called up, do they get a new contract with higher pay? And if they are sent back to NXT, do they get to keep their main roster contract?

Nick from Detroit -

1. Do you think the sheer amount of UFC events has diminished some of the actual PPV cards themselves? A lot of the events end up feeling “watered down” when there are shows to fill week to week. I understand from a business perspective that its been working, but as a fan, I much prefer quality over quantity.
  2. Is there anyone not currently in Japan that you believe has a chance to be in the G1 this year? I’m slightly concerned that a G1 with only the wrestlers they have in Japan now might feel a bit underwhelming. I personally would love to see someone like a Moose or Lance Archer would be great to see.
1 Like

Brian Dillon, Ireland

With the most recent pretty major cut of Bray Wyatt, I keep thinking about morale backstage with the other wrestlers.

Maybe I’m reading too much in to it but how do you guys think they feel about it all? Anecdotally it seems that talent is constantly shocked when the news breaks.
I can’t imagine a work place environment where people you work with for years could be cut out of nowhere.

I get they’re professionals and it’s an industry like no other but does there come a point where you just phone it in to an extent? Because it seems like loyalty and hard work mean absolutely nothing.

Brandon from Oshawa

Last month I asked if you’d be surprised if Bray Wyatt was released…he’s now been released. Punk and Bryan are now most likely heading into AEW. You got 3 members of the Wyatt Family you can potentially bring in as an immediate stable to feud with someone and we all know how much they love stables. Where do you draw the line though on signing ex WWE talent? Vince even cracked the joke about sending them more talent.

Is there a certain level of guy that you take, no matter what if they get released? Does being a former WWE or Universal champion make it a no brainer that a guy should be signed by AEW?

Sal from California.

If you could time travel to any time period and interview any wrestler, who would you interview and what would you ask them about?

Do you think an NXT Takeover could still sell out an arena the size of the Barclays Centre? I find it interesting that they’re not going on the road for Takeover 36 on SummerSlam weekend. Seems to me they might be concerned the appetite is no longer there with AEW fulfilling that role for the hardcore fan.

2 Likes

The Rock has done it all in WWE except get inducted into their Hall of Fame. When do you think he will get inducted?

Joe from Hamilton:

Can CM punk and Colt cabana coexist in aew. They used to be beat of friends, and now…not so much

John, what is the update on your yearly reading? Any wrestling or non-wrestling recommendations? I’ve slipped on my goals due to life getting in the way, but seeing others’ reading adventures helps to motivate me.

1 Like

Anthony from Detroit

Hey guys!

With all the movement of wrestlers from wwe to aew I was wondering what AEW wrestler you’d like to see move to the wwe? Or what AEW wrestler would be a better fit on the wwe main roster?

Robbie from London Ontario,

Couple of things guys. First any updates on Rampage airing in Canada? And two did you guys see Dragongate’s Kobe World, and if so what did you think?

Have a great day!

Both as friends and in a professional context, what are some qualities that each of you admire in the other?

2 Likes