ASK-A-WAI: Questions Thread

Hi Wai and John.

If you could go back and review any period of wrestling right after it happened like you do now , but with the same connections you got when it comes to getting info etc…

What timeframe would it be? 1996 leading up the Bash at the Beach , maybe around Survivor series 97? Summerslam 91 period and Warrior holding up Vince for more money. Maybe even earlier when it was World Class Championship Wrestling and the height of their popularity.

Thanks for your time

1 Like

Sal from California

Which feud and match do you prefer: Bret vs Owen at Wrestlemania X or Bret vs Austin at Wrestlemania 13?

While watching New Japan’s Battle Autumn show, it occurred to me that New Japan seems to use the hardcam a lot less than most American companies. Apart from Kevin Dunn’s regularly criticized zooms and quick cuts, are there any promotions whose style of shooting pro wrestling has made a real difference, positive or negative, in your enjoyment of it? (As a cameraman I’m guessing Wai regularly notices gaffes or neat tricks which would breeze right past most of us.)

Vince from Sacramento

I’m curious to get both of your thoughts on why AEW presented CM Punk as a bigger star than Bryan Danielson during the time both were in the company. Prior to them both coming in to AEW, I felt Danielson arguably would have been the bigger name than Punk considering his popularity and the fact he has had 2 WrestleMania main events. Even now with Punk gone from AEW, it feels like Danielson isn’t being presented as the massive star that Punk was. I guess my question is why do you think Punk was picked to be the face of the company over Danielson?

Saeed from Vancouver,

So John its been a while probably from the LAW days that you’ve updated us on your favorite Chicken sandwich place… Which place has your favorite nowadays?

2 Likes

Mahmood from Bahrain,

Happy anniversary guys. Always grateful to be a member of this community.

Two unrelated questions for you:

1. Without the context of his premature death in 2005, do you think Eddie Guerrero could have been a top guy in 2004 with his WWE title reign. The one he did have seems to have been more of a legacy reign, but if you reversed the roles at Wrestlemania 20 and gave Eddie the main event and presented him as the top guy post Austin do you think he would have been successful? I always felt that the Latino Heat persona was a great extension of the Austin character while being it’s own thing.

2. Now that’s it’s been more than two years and with the new movie coming out, do you think T’Challa should have been recast? I love Chadwick Boseman and his role is absolutely iconic but I do struggle with the fact that the character of T’Challa was worth preserving. I’m not saying marvel was wrong for not choosing to recast and I’m still unsure about it myself, what do you guys think?

Heya guys. Any idea where Sarray has gone? She hasn’t been on NXT since June and I believe she was heading York NXT UK for a bit, but that show no longer exists. Has WWE just given up on her?

Justin in NYC

David from Arlington, Texas

Hey guys, don’t know if this one has been asked before, but what would’ve been your guys’ ideal retirement match/program for Kurt Angle? Obviously he wouldn’t have been able to go as he did years ago. And years removed, I understand why ultimately, they went with Corbin. But with the roster at the time, or even a part timer, how would you guys have liked to see it go if they went in a different direction?

Thanks for everything guys. Been listening for over a decade, and you guys are the best. Happy 5 years to Post, and shoutout Godfather Nate! 6/10

Were either of you denied names for your children by your spouse when choosing names before your kids were born? My wife denied me Chris Jericho and Steven Austin (first name - middle name). Do you think Jericho is a cool middle name?

Anthony from Detroit

Cheers guys

Ticket sales and tv ratings are up for the wwe. Fans have hope for the product. With the regime change I was expecting AEW type excitement in the crowds but for the most part the crowds seem dead for Raw, Smackdown and some PLEs as they were during the old regime. Any thoughts as to why?

Thank you!

Branavan from Ajax

Which member of the All Japan Four Pillars in their prime do you think would be the most successful if they were able to wrestle in the US today? Success being getting popular, chance of becoming a main eventer, etc etc.

Ron from Chicago

With the world cup underway at the time of this posting, what is your guys’ top international sporting memory?

Hello Charles from Alberta here been listening to you guys since 2015 and you guys are very funny and a pressure to listen to you congratulations on the 5 years . Who do you seeing getting there first L and losing their title hook or jade .?

Tenese from GA

Who has a chance to be at least a competent in-ring performer, Jade Cargill or Mandy Rose?

Take care, guys.

Eric from Barrie.

With Jester’s Cap getting its first reprint in 12 years, will John be making his return to Magic the Gathering? Do you have any fond memories of your time playing the game?

A question for the both of you. You have both in the past brought up your history playing video games. Are there any traditional games you have enjoyed, or currently enjoy? Board games, card games or anything else?

What’s that one meal from scratch (or close to it) you can cook yourself that you would proudly serve a guest?

Alexander from Portland

What have been your favorite sodas?

Sorry guys edited to add a second question if you don’t mind…

1. Question probably more so for John but Wai something to look forward to …

This weekend I took my kids to a soft play and entered a ball pit. To get to the floor you had to wade through some balls so in an attempt to save one child from injury I slipped on a ball and jarred my back and couldn’t walk for a few days.

My question therefore is whether either of you have had injuries because of trying to save your child from themselves!

1. Been watching a lot of 90s royal rumbles lately and noticed a lot of talent from Japanese companies being used, most of whom I don’t recognise. Could you maybe give some background about how this came about and if anything notable came from it?

Steve from Virginia Beach,

I recently rewatched Wrestling With Shadows. In the scene with The Hart Foundation riding in the limousine, I noticed a man next to Bret that I was unfamiliar with.
After a quick Google search I learned it was Carl De Marco who apparently was Bret’s business manager as well as WWF Canadian President.

I was wondering what exactly his duties as Canadian President of WWF would have been during that time?

And after all that has been said about the Montreal Screwjob, I realize I’ve never heard Carl De Marco speak on it. Clearly he must have been there as well. Do you know if he has ever spoke in depth about the event or has he really gone this long with no comment.

Thanks and Happy 5 Year Anniversary!

Hey guys been a minute since we spoke been a while since I’ve been asked to Wai nah mean nah saying? Yah feel what I’m throwing down? Anywhoo it’s brandon Frm nj by the way just a quick question to deposit into the Ask-A-Wai reservoir…with NXT using mentors and mentees and with the addition of Soul Rucca and her using a surf gimmick do you think it’s time for the fed to call up Surfer Ray Oddessy? Decreed by Taz as one of the best guys he has ever worked with. I’ll hang up and listen