Austin Theory recalls Miz & Baron Corbin telling him he'd be thrown in 'deep water' in WWE Raw segment with John Cena

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/04/17/austin-theory-recalls-miz-baron-corbin-telling-him-hed-be-thrown-in-deep-water-in-wwe-raw-segment-with-john-cena/

Theory was able to get the win over Cena at WrestleMania. 

To set up the WWE United States Championship match between Austin Theory and John Cena at WrestleMania 39, there was an in-ring segment involving the two on Monday Night Raw in Boston, Massachusetts. 

During their exchange, Cena made remarks about how no one cares for Theory and that even if he won at WrestleMania, nothing would change for him in that regard. 

Before going out to the ring with Cena for that segment, Theory was told by the likes of Miz and Baron Corbin to be prepared because he was going to be thrown into ‘deep water’. He recalled that during his sit-down conversation with Ryan Satin on the Out of Character podcast

Yeah, you know, Miz, Baron Corbin, sounds like all the bad guys (are who told me to be ready for my in-ring segment with John Cena). They’re just like, ‘Man, just be ready. You’re gonna get thrown out there in some deep water. Just be prepared’ but, you know, I had my cool sneakers on and my shades that he talked trash about and I was feeling good. I was like, I came out here with one thing in mind and I got it. So, you know, telling me people don’t believe in me, alright John. I’m gonna make you believe. I’m gonna make them all stop believing in you.

Theory would go on to share what he thought his first meeting with Vince McMahon would be like. As the topic of conversation was on name changes, Theory said he thought McMahon would be questioning his on-screen last name. 

I don’t know why, but I felt like for some reason as a kid, this is something I envisioned, I always felt like when I met Mr. McMahon, he was gonna go, your name’s Austin Theory? Theory? What? Why aren’t you a fact? Like when you beat people, it’s a fact, not a theory. What? But that never happened so, he just said, ‘You’ll just be Theory.’

Cena and Theory kicked off WrestleMania 39 and Theory low blowed Cena to secure the win and to hold onto the United States Title. 

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Out of Character with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.