Becky Lynch discusses pregnancy, pitch for 'Mania, "The Mom"

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/07/01/becky-lynch-discusses-pregnancy-pitch-for-mania-the-mom/

Becky Lynch was a guest on The Bellas Podcast to discuss her news of learning she was pregnant earlier this year, and some scenarios laid out to drop the Raw women’s title she held.

In the interview, she discussed how she and fiancé Seth Rollins (Colby Lopez) discovered she was pregnant after she took a test.

Lynch said that she pitched the idea of dropping the Raw women’s title to Shayna Baszler at WrestleMania 36, which was taped near the end of the March. Lynch’s pitch wasn’t taken as she defeated Baszler at the show. Lynch would reveal she was pregnant during the May 11th episode of Raw where the title was presented to Asuka following her win in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match.

Below is a transcript from several of her answers, courtesy of POST Wrestling’s Andrew Thompson:

Becky Lynch says she pitched to lose the RAW Women’s Title at WrestleMania 36/being pregnant while holding the title:

So, I don’t know about you guys but you know, you have your goals and you’re working towards everything but in the back of your mind, I always wanted to be a mother, I always wanted to have a family, and I knew that… just because — so I started wrestling when I was 15, and just everything, bodybuilding… is that a word? I do bodybuilding competitions, all kinds of stuff. So I just felt like I had probably damaged my body a lot. So, I knew, okay, I wanna try and have a baby before 35, and then I met Colby and I was like, ‘Well, perfect. This is my person,’ and so this was always the plan because originally I was like, ‘Well, okay, I’ll wait until I’m done wrestling then I’ll have a family.’ Then I started thinking, ‘Wait. But wait, why do I have to do that? Guys don’t have to do that. Hell, I’ll just do it whenever the time feels right.’ So we started trying and I just thought it would take a long time, and it didn’t. We were super lucky. It happened before I would’ve expected and I was still the champ at the time which I actually thought I was going to lose the title at WrestleMania, which I also pitched but that’s neither here or there. But plans change. So yeah, when we came back from filming WrestleMania, I was feeling sick already and so this was even too early to take a test and so then I got the early response ones which are the ones with the lines and so, I took one of them and Colby didn’t even know that I took it and just one line popped up real quick but I didn’t even read the instructions so I was like, ‘Oh, it’s the negative line’ and I was like, ‘I am so not pregnant’ and I threw it into the bin and then we came back from the gym that night and I took it out and I was like, ‘Oh wait, hang on. There’s a second line here’ and so then I went to him and I was like, ‘Is that a second line?’ And then we Googled it and then it said it was like an evaporation line if you wait too long and so I was like, ‘Okay, that’s probably it.’

Ideas Becky pitched to creatively relinquish the RAW Women’s Title/wanted to do a tournament:

So then, it was like, ‘Is there a way that she can just beat me real quick?’ Colby’s like, ‘No! No! You’re not — no!’ I’m like, ‘Yeah, yeah, you’re right.’

Then we talked a lot and then decided, ‘Well okay, what if there’s a tournament for the #1 contendership?’ So the people, they don’t know that they’re actually gonna be competing for the title and then right as they go to have that last match, whoever gets there at the end then I tell them, ‘This is for the title.’ But, Money In The Bank was happening at the same time so it was too confusing to merge the two so they just decided that they would do the Money In The Bank Ladder match and have that as the title match essentially but without them knowing.

Becky not being a fan of WWE marketing her as “The Mom”:

Actually, but I really didn’t want to be marketed as ‘The Mom’. I told Colby, I was like, ‘Man, they’re gonna make me The Mom, I know it. I know it’ and he’s like, ‘No, they’re not.’ Soon as I said it, freaking t-shirt came out.