Becky Lynch shares that WWE SummerSlam 2022 match with Bianca Belair almost didn't happen, had to fight for it

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/04/01/becky-lynch-shares-that-wwe-summerslam-2022-match-with-bianca-belair-almost-didnt-happen-had-to-fight-for-it/

Lynch states that the match had to be fought for. 

Opening up the 2022 WWE SummerSlam Premium Live Event was a Raw Women’s Championship match between Bianca Belair and Becky Lynch. 

The aftermath of this bout saw the debut of Damage CTRL (Bayley, IYO SKY & Dakota Kai) and Belair and Lynch joining together to stand against the debuting trio. 

According to Becky, the match itself almost did not happen. There was a conversation she had with Stephen A. Smith on his ‘Know Mercy’ podcast about those who are not regular in-ring performers coming in and having spots on the biggest shows. 

Lynch said there was a bit of verbal fighting that had to be done to get the Raw Women’s Title match on the SummerSlam card and it almost did not happen. She mentioned the likes of Logan Paul and Pat McAfee who had matches on that card, but Seth Rollins did not. 

I know last year at SummerSlam, kind of, had to fight a little bit to get our women’s title match on the show and when Logan Paul has a match and Pat McAfee has a match and Seth Rollins doesn’t have a match, he’s been working all year and when Becky Lynch and Bianca Belair almost didn’t have a match, then I think that’s a bit of a problem and I think that can be a bit of a problem, personally and from a work ethic standpoint that you put all of this effort into this all year around and when the big shows come, the big stadiums come and there’s 80,000 people, you wanna receive your flowers for that hard work that you’ve put in all year around so that we can do this, so that we’re on TV 52 weeks a year just killing the game. You don’t want somebody to take your spot. Not somebody who doesn’t do this all the time.

Logan Paul and Seth Rollins are scheduled to meet on night one of WrestleMania, which is Paul’s birthday. Per Paul, his contract with the company expires today

If the quote in this article is used, please credit Know Mercy with Stephen A. Smith with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcription.