Best wrestling books?

I know I’m late to the party, but I’m just finishing the Bret Hart book now. I’ve read the first two Mick Foley books previously, and wanted to get one of the “story of WCW” type books but wasn’t sure which to choose.

I know John used to say on the podcast that he really liked one, but I can’t remember which.

Any thoughts on that, or wrestling books in general?

2 Likes

Guy Evans’ “Nitro” book is really good. He has a ton of relevant guests interviewed in the book and does a lot of fact-checking with the information he is providing. It’s one of those books when you pick it up, it’s hard to put it down.

1 Like

Death of WCW (2014 Edition) is a good one as well, though it’s not as in depth as Nitro but it is pretty good for laughs.

3 Likes

Death of wcw

Pure Dynamite

First two Jericho books kept my interest even tho I don’t love his writing style

Terry funk’s book is okay

I’m halfway through the David shoemaker book and it’s well done

+1 for death of WCW and Jericho’s first book.

Regal’s book is very good. There’s a lot of faith stuff in Eddy Guerrero’s book that doesn’t really speak to me, but it’s still a good book.

Bret’s book, mick’s first book and Jericho’s first book are my top three.

I really enjoyed jim Ross’s book and pre ordered his new one. I liked d. Bryan’s book. Justin Roberts was really good too in a different way.

Also, crazy like a fox, the bio.of Brian Pullman is highly recommended.

Jericho’s first book and second one are great.

One vote for Pure Dynamite!

1 Like

A book I rarely hear people speak about but I found to be a good read was Chris kanyons. It was released posthumously and given the circumstances of his death can be a sad read at times, but it’s a very good read from a unique and in my opinion, underrated performer.

I also highly recommend Death of WCW. I read it for the first time last fall and devoured the whole thing in a couple of days. A very entertaining but detailed look back at the late 90’s boom period. The most recent revision also included notes commenting on WWE vs TNA and that at the time a lot of history was being repeated in the early 2010’s. A lot of those lessons are even more evident now with WWE vs AEW so it still feels very relevant.

David Shoemaker’s The Squared Circle is another good one. I haven’t read it in a few years but was very well written with a different chapter focusing on the life and tragedies of different wrestlers that have passed away. There was a lot of good history in it and funny stories.

The Brian Pillman book, Crazy Like a Fox, is one of my all-time favorites. I cannot recommend it enough. Happy to send it out for someone to borrow if they are interested.