Beth Phoenix to leave NXT commentary position after War Games

Originally published at Beth Phoenix to leave NXT commentary position after War Games

Beth Phoenix has announced that this Sunday’s NXT War Games event will be her final one as a member of the broadcast team.

Phoenix issued the following statement on Thursday noting she will remain part of WWE but will step away from her weekly duties on commentary to spend time with her family:

Ahead of War Games, I wanted to share that this Sunday will be my final night in NXT. While I will remain a part of WWE, I have made the choice to step away from the weekly broadcast booth to spend more time with my family. This was not an easy decision, as I have loved my three plus years and 135 episodes with NXT and am incredibly proud of the brand. I will forever be grateful to Vic Joseph, Wade Barrett, Nigel McGuinness, Tom Phillips, Mauro Ranallo, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Michael Cole and my entire NXT family both in and out of the ring for the amazing opportunity. NXT will always be a part of me and Auntie Betty will always be a part of NXT. Leave the porch light on for me!

After leaving the company in 2012, Phoenix was inducted into the company’s Hall of Fame in 2017 and led a series of matches including the inaugural women’s Royal Rumble in 2018, teaming with Natalya at WrestleMania 35, and several live events. Her last match took place in January 2020 in the women’s Royal Rumble match.

In 2018, she began working on the commentary team for the Mixed Match Challenge series and was added to the NXT broadcast team in May 2019.

Phoenix is a three-time WWE women’s champion, a former Diva’s champion, and was honored by the Cauliflower Alley Club in 2015.

NXT War Games airs this Sunday night at 8 p.m. ET on the WWE Network.