Biggest wrestling pop you've experienced live in person

Jericho getting hit in the face with a glow stick

1 Like

My Top 3:

• C.M. Punk returning to the WWE to confront John Cena following his WWE Title win over Rey Mysterio (7/25/11 edition of Monday Night Raw from the Hampton Coliseum). I believe this was the first time Punk used the Living Colour theme.

• AJ Styles ditching the “No One” gimmick and coming to the aid of the Main Event Mafia against Aces & Eights (“Hardcore Justice” 2013 from the Ted Constant Convocation Center)

• Randy Savage winning the battle royale to become the WCW World Champion (“World War 3” from 1995 at the Norfolk Scope).

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Wish there was a better quality video:

Undertaker being a Smackdown guy, safe to say we were not expecting that.

1 Like

Last Valentine’s Day at SmackDown Live. Bray Wyatt just won the wwe title and huge “you deserve it!” Chant broke out.

2 Likes

Two come to mind and both were at Wrestlemania’s. 70-100 thousand people make a lot of noise.

1. Daniel Bryan’s entrance at Wrestlemania 30 and 75,000 people doing the Yes chant. I think this was actually bigger than Bryan’s win at the end of the night because it was the first time we saw him and it wasn’t at the end of a four hour show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOxvpbMhVo

2. 100,000 people going nuts for Stone Cold Steve Austin in Dallas, Texas at Wrestlemania 32. Definitely the loudest point of the night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGU8hIoVuk

In terms of passion - 15K people lost their minds and voices for Nakamura debuting against Sami Zayn at Takeover Dallas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsPI2_5ZbM

1 Like

#1 has to be Punk at Money in the Bank 2011. I doubt I will ever experience an atmosphere at a wrestling event that electric ever again. #2 would be Jericho’s debut in 1999. I can’t think of anything else that would even come close to those two.

1 Like

I would say the go home raw in minneapolis for summerslam 2015 where brock came out at the end. it wasnt the loud pop i wished it had. the raw in minneapolis where they booked brock and heyman did the goldberg promo everybody hated didn’t have the big pop either.

1 Like

The Hardyz returning at Wrestlemania 33, that was a Road Warrior Pop.
The Finish to The Revival vs. DIY at Takeover: Toronto
Kevin Steen vs. El Generico from ROH Death Before Dishonor VIII
Davey Richards vs. Tyler Black at ROH Death Before Dishonor VIII

1 Like

For me, it had to be NXT TakeOver London in 2015.
Just being there live was fantastic, it felt like a Football (Soccer) match with all the different chants and everyone incorporating Football chants to the chants for all of the wrestlers that night. Everyone was over and had massive pops when they came out.
I have not seen anyone as over or had as big as a pop as Bayley did that night. Hopefully she’ll see those amazing heights again.

1 Like

Mine is sad but always stuck with me. I was at the RAW after Over The Edge 99, the Owen Tribute show.
I had actually lost my older brother in a car accident just a few weeks earlier and this Raw was supposed to “cheer me up” a bit before the Owen stuff happened. Anyway, not as fun a night as I had hoped.

But I do remember the insane pop on constant noise when Stone Cold came out that night and gave Owen the old beer salute. The combo of the crowds love and appreciation of Owen and the insane star power of Austin still sends shivers.

1 Like

Aside from WWE Live house shows, the biggest pop I’ve ever experienced was at my city’s local indie federation HIW Wildside when Kat Von Heez bodyslammed Brice “The Slammer” Sova.

As you can tell, Brice Sova’s gimmick was his arsenal of slams, scoop slams, powerslams, chokeslams, etc.

So when Kat Von Heez, who has a background in body building, managed to pick up Brice Sova, who could have easily been 250 lbs, and scoop slammed him, I’ve never seen so many people jump out of their chairs and hoot and holler at what they just saw.

The Slammer getting a taste of his own medicine.

Support your local indies

1 Like

Hogan Vs Rock WrestleMania X-8 was the loudest pop I have ever heard in person.

2 Likes

Loudest pops I have heard in person were

-Austin coming out at WM32
-Hardyz return at WM33

2 Likes

The finish of Keith Lee Vs Ishii at night 1 of Global Wars 2017.

2 Likes

There are probably quite a few but these come to mind:

• Revival vs. DIY 2/3 falls match, NXT Takeover Toronto. The crowd was hot for the whole show and collectively lost its mind when DIY scored the double submission for the second fall.

• When Edge beat Jeff Jarrett for the IC title at a Toronto (SkyDome) house show in July 1999. Edge was a last-minute replacement for Ken Shamrock and the pop was huge when he came out and even bigger when he won in short order. He lost it back to Jarrett the next night at the PPV but still a great moment and a tease of great things to come for Edge as a singles star.

1 Like

I’m proud to say I was in Miami for the birth of the “yes” chants and the return of Brock. I was also there for Dolph’s cash in. Unforgettable moments for sure.

1 Like

Raw in Providence, RI summer of 2001 when Austin showed up and stunned everyone in the Alliance. Roof blew off the place when that glass hit then we popped for each and every stunner

4 Likes

Not really a pop, but I was at NXT Takeover in London, and the feeling in the crowd while singing to Bailey was infectious. On the tubes and trains home afterwards it was still being sung, over and over. Good feels!

Biggest ‘pop’ pop was at the UK Championships… it was the 2nd night, and everyone wanted to see the dude who looked like Jesus, but was knocked out the night prior… A 6 or 8 man tag was set up before the tournament continued, and Jesus came out. The POP for the dude was so loud, and so ‘tongue in cheek’ that the performer actually looked pissed. Everytime he tagged in we all went wild (possibly drink fueled) and even while Tyler Bate was celebrating with his new title at the end, and all the guys came out from the back to congratulate him the crowd popped for Jesus. Jesus chants started. Other wrestlers gave him odd looks, he looked embarrassed again. It was brilliant.

3 Likes

the biggest pop i have heard was in Brantford Ontario at the civic center in 2008. it was micheal elgin vs rhyno and Kevin Nash and Scott Steiner interfered and did a nwo take out everyone angle. then Hulk hogan came and saved the day. considering it was a small 5000 crowd tops the place went crazy. it was a great house show that featured hogan, nash, steiner, rhyno, tatanka, brutus and a few others i cant remember. i been to many wwe and nxt shows but this was awesome

1 Like

Haha, I too was there for the UK Tourney (Night 2 is probably my favorite night of wrestling ever) and those Jesus chants were brilliant. From where I was seated, he was bloody loving the reaction. I was actually quite worried that the crowd would chant for him throughout the show but I’m really glad they never.

Fittingly, I attended the PCW student shows before each WWE UK event and they too had a guy who looked like Jesus and the crowd threw some Jesus-based banter at him. My 14 years being educated at Catholic schools came in handy for some lovey Bible quote-based heckles.

1 Like