Brackets revealed for AEW's tag title tournament on TNT

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/09/18/brackets-revealed-for-aews-tag-title-tournament-on-tnt/

On Tuesday’s edition of Road to AEW on TNT, the brackets of the forthcoming AEW tag title tournament.

The seven-team tournament will begin on Wednesday, October 9th and conclude on October 30th.

On one side, The Young Bucks will face Private Party on the October 9th episode from Boston, Massachusetts.

The same side of the bracket will see the Lucha Bros. (Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix) face Jungle Boy & Luchasaurus on October 16th in Philadelphia. The winners will face either The Young Bucks or Private Party.

On the opposite side, SCU will face the Best Friends on October 16th in Philadelphia and the winners will face Dark Order, who received a bye to the semi-finals.

Both semi-final matches are scheduled for the October 23rd episode in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with the finals on October 30th in Charleston, West Virginia.

2 Likes

Despite the resulting matches, the ways AEW has been deciding all of their champions have been more convoluted than necessary.

But hey, I’m attending that Philadelphia taping, and I’m happy about those two tournament matches announced for it.

Really disappointed in the brackets.
No Santana and Ortiz, potential of another Bucks vs Lucha Bros in round 2, that side of the bracket seeming much stronger with Private party, Buck, Lucha Bros and the Fan favorite Jurassic express. The other side is SCU, Dark Order, and Best Friends, possibly setting up to a Best Friends vs Dark order rematch. Why no Evans and Angelico? Because they wanted the bye for the Dark order? Seems like they had been set up for a rematch with Private Party with the post match attack at All Out.

Right now it feels like whoever comes out of the side with the Bucks is a huge favorite.

I’m liking it more, the more I think about it. I dont think you wanna have Santana/Ortiz against the Bucks or Lucha Bros in a tournament match and we’ve recently seen a rivalry between them and the Lucha Bros on Impact, so I think they may stay away from that for a bit. I also dont think they should lose yet and dont need the titles yet, so its best to keep them out.

Bucks & Lucha Bros definitely wont have another match, so you know either one or both of those teams will lose in the first round.

Since the division is short on heel teams at the moment, I see the Dark Order vs either Lucha Bros or Jurassic Express in the finals, with Dark Order going over. I think they are going to go all in on the Dark Order and it gives some meaning to the 1st round bye. Makes it look a little important.

I’m not convinced that they won’t go Bucks vs Bros again, as to me they did it too much 2 shows ago as far as interest in the feud went for me. They may go all in on Dark Order but I don’t want to see that because they aren’t all that great. But I also don’t see them Losing to the Best Friends or SCU. For me the best result right now would be Private Party beating the Bucks and facing the Lucha Bros. The problem is that semi final is more interesting than any resulting match in the final. So it may well be an issue of Dark Order just really not coming across well. I think a Private Party vs Lax final would have resulted in a final match that would be bigger than the Semi final. If Dark Order came across better I could see the set up they have now, but even then I might set things up differently.