Bret Hart glad he was able to patch things up with Shawn Michaels, resents when he's spoken to like he wasn't a 'WWE guy'

Originally published at Bret Hart glad he was able to patch things up with Shawn Michaels

During the anniversary month of the Montreal Screwjob, both Bret and Shawn looked back it. 

The Montreal Screwjob has been covered in great detail since it happened at the 1997 WWF/E Survivor Series. Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels and a plethora of other talents, executives and those alike have weighed in on what unfolded and a multitude of stories have emerged over the last 25 years. 

Hart and Michaels were profiled by The Ringer for the anniversary of that November 9th night. Bret touched on being able to repair things with Michaels and being glad he’s in a better place. Bret reiterated that he wishes none of that bad history happened and that he never left WWF/E for WCW. 

We had our issues over the years. But I watched Undertaker and Shawn Michaels wrestle at one of the WrestleManias. Even then, I had such a bitterness towards Shawn, but I had to admit it was one of the greatest matches I ever watched. That’s where I ended up deciding to make friends with Shawn and bury the hatchet and all that. It was very truthful, that little storyline with me and Vince and Shawn. Me and Shawn making up in the ring (in 2010) and shaking hands and all that, that was all very real and very moving for me. And was not something that was orchestrated. Shawn wanted that off his back and I was in a position to take it off his back and that was the best resolution for both of us. We’ve been friends ever since. And I’m grateful that he’s in a better place today. I wish that none of the bad history that we had-had ever happened. I wished I’d never left for WCW because I probably wouldn’t have had a stroke and I probably wouldn’t have had to wrestle Bill Goldberg.

Bret expressed that he considers himself a ‘WWE guy’ and there is almost a sense of resentment towards those who talks to him like he wasn’t. 

I was always a WWE guy, always. And I almost resent when someone talks about me like I wasn’t. They’re surprised I’m even around today. But I gave everything I had to that company and I’m proud of everything I did in the ring and I’m proud of what I represented.

POST Wrestling’s own John Pollock took a look at the Montreal Screwjob and to read his piece, click here.

1 Like

It was nice to see those two patch things up, that type of grudge will just eat away at you. Bret and Shawn will go down as my top two favorites of all time. Too bad some fans still can’t get over it, its sad.

What’s interesting to me is that Shawn is really not that big a part of Montreal on the day itself. He’s in the same boat as Earl. This is happening whether you are in on it or not, and whatever you decide, you’re going to wake up tomorrow and still have to work for this company. I think it’s a much tougher call in the moment than we all make it out to be from the outside looking in.

If anything, Shawn’s biggest fuck up came weeks earlier, running his mouth after Bret had allegedly agreed to put him over and causing Bret to change his mind.