Bret Hart says he'd love to be a part of things in AEW, but he's happy being at home

Originally published at Bret Hart says he'd love to be a part of things in AEW, but he's happy being at home

Bret Hart chats AEW, Steve Austin’s recent match and Owen Hart.

Over the recent months, Bret Hart has been asked in media appearances if he’d be interested in joining All Elite Wrestling. Talents in AEW such as CM Punk, Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler have expressed their appreciation of Bret and his influence on their respective careers.

Bret told Lucha Libre Online that he’d be happy to help talents in AEW and is contact with members of the roster. When it comes to physically being in the AEW environment, Hart said he would love to be a part of what’s going on there but he’s happy being at home as he gets older.

I’d be happy to help a lot of them stuff more easily but I’m getting a lot older now and it’s getting harder for me to keep flying around and doing stuff, so I gotta pick my days that I can do stuff and there’s a lot of things I would love to be part of with AEW and what they’re doing. I know they’ve got some great wrestlers there and I have a lot of respect for the organization and all that but, right now, I’m happy at home.

On night one of WrestleMania 38, Stone Cold Steve Austin came out of retirement and had his first singles match since 2003 against Kevin Owens. Hart touched on that and how cool that was for Austin.

Bret added that it would have been nice to have a proper retirement match, but that opportunity was taken away from him.

I appreciate it a lot . I think, you know, a lot of wrestlers — even Steve Austin, you see Steve Austin wrestling at WrestleMania this year. It’s like, how sweet that is, you know? Would have been nice if I could’ve wrestled in my — have a proper retirement. To get hurt in the ring and never really get a goodbye, never get the right send-off, it’s always missing, it’s always — and I think for me, it’s always been a bit of a sore spot and makes me kind of mad, because some guys are flying all the way over to Saudi Arabia and making three million dollars in a match and the same guy is the guy that kicked me in the head. Never thought of thinking about me or what he cost me and my family and what he did to me and the kick that I got from Bill Goldberg was — it was a really dangerous kick to give somebody and I don’t know if he ever showed any remorse or frankly, I don’t think he gave a sh*t to be honest.

Elsewhere during the conversation, Bret was asked who he would’ve liked to see Owen Hart wrestle if Owen was still alive. Hart thinks that Owen and Chris Jericho could have had good matches with one another.

You know, I would love to see Chris Jericho kind of wrestle my brother Owen. That would have been a good match. Chris is a, you know, very capable and really great wrestler in his own way and Owen was a great wrestler and they would’ve had some great — they both had some lucha libre stuff kind of going on and both high flying and I would’ve loved to have seen them work with each other. That would have been a good one.

AEW is currently presenting the Owen Hart Foundation tournament and brackets for the men’s and women’s divisions have been set. There is a ‘joker’ mystery participant in each bracket.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Lucha Libre Online with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.