CM Punk addresses Colt Cabana, AEW EVPs and Hangman Adam Page at post-All Out presser

Unnamed sources are good if their accuracy hovers around 95% or so. But when that accuracy dips into the 80s and lower, and you act like you’re covered just because you “sourced it.” you’re just asking to get worked.

And whether it’s fair or not, when your primary task is covering a company where “plans changed” is such an frequent happening that it’s become a joke, it doesn’t help your credibility to be citing unnamed sources instead of naming them.

2 Likes

Look I fully appreciate ppl not wanting to burn bridges with sources and the nature of these being active talents. But if a talent in this industry is coming to you with something you know as a media business owner is going to trade (be monetized) on its juiciness and innuendo then don’t you have an ethical journalistic responsibility to name the source or not run the story without making it clear this could be people going into business for themself because leaking sensitive information is always dicey? Like it’s really not rocket science to see at first glance see how this gets completely perverted into chaos and distrust between fans/talent/companies/media.

I mean how many unnamed sources are being used to determine verifiability? Does The Elite count as 3 people so if 3 ppl said it it must be true and you met the standards of having enough sources to confirm something even if it’s just their agenda?

Who is this ultimately benefiting because they are all co-dependent. I have wondered if one of these stories is the one that breaks the camels back on the big TV renewal (Jericho even hinted at never wanting the wrong TV Exec to see the wrong thing at the wrong time re: cursing) What weird Shakespearean irony it would be that everyone who profited on the way up while having AEW be a viable 2nd option in the industry are the ones who destroy it and are left with write ups about its demise. Both inside and outside the company.

If it’s a work, CM Punk is doing a bad job. He’s got too many programs : Bryan Alvarez, Sean Ross Sapp, the Bucks, Cabana, Hangman, Kenny Omega, etc…

3 Likes

I’d disagree. Take out Alvarez and Sapp obviously and you have Punk vs AEW originals. You have MJF who has often brought up WWE guys taking spots. That is another AEW OG. Eddie Kingston hates Punk. You have multiple AEW guys. They could easily have a compelling AEW vs WWE/Outsiders storyline here. There are small pieces and moves they have made where that begins to fall apart though and things begin making less sense.

2 Likes

I also think people need to stop and think… How did The Elite build there brand? In my opinion, an unconventional (within wrestling) storytelling method. BTE broke a lot of boundaries for how talent and storytelling got over in wrestling.

Could this not be an extension of that?

Look, one of the major stories that has to happen is Hangman reuniting with Omega and the Bucks. The only thing in a storyline that to me gets to that, is facing an existential threat to AEW. That’s this story.

1 Like

I think that storyline work in WCW because the guys that came over hate WWE. In fact they have lots of friends there and would’ve stayed if it wasn’t for the money

Creating a faction with FTR and punk, while interesting I don’t think works as a pro WWE take over brand like the NWO was Since we know they hate WWE

Do you honestly believe this is all a work? Or are you trying to see the glass half full?

I admit its possible, but I think its highly unlikely.

1 Like

Meh. I find this sort of thing tiresome for angles and storylines, but I think this is a bit of pearl clutching over a notoriously cantankerous guy in a complain-y mood. I’d love it if Olivia Wilde was doing some unfiltered grumbling at the Venice Film Festival or if Kevin Durant went in harder on how he dislikes his GM, so let’s get wild! I want wrestling big, loud and over the top. Let’s get silly!

I find wrestling journalism sometimes gets unfairly smeared in these situations because people want absolute direct answers about a medium built of deception and plans constantly in flux. That creates a unique level of difficulty/decision-making that requires fans to be vigilant on who they follow and what’s being claimed. POST works because it’s sensible, responsible journalism that frames things appropriately and actively works to be more than pouncing on a stray piece of speculation.

1 Like

If a source is not being named, it is typically by the subject’s request, not the reporter’s. It would be wonderful if everyone I spoke to did so on the record but that’s going to happen with people in meaningful positions within the industry. It would be a cardinal sin to give up the identity of a source that is coming to you in confidence with information, that is the reporter’s responsibility to verify and vet before reporting.

There is a reason that speaking on background exists because a source is unwilling to attach to their name - does that mean relevant and important information should not be reported on? Speaking on background is a widespread form of reporting in politics, sports, entertainment, and virtually any other industry.

Lastly, is the notion that reporting is somehow beyond worthy of compensation and that reporters should not be able to derive a living from this. Explain the difference between a news site operating on Patreon as opposed to going to a newspaper stand to buy one. Do you know the hours that go into a news report that might take you several minutes to read? In what industry is being compensated for one’s work and time viewed negatively?

17 Likes

MJ, with all respect, if you did 4 years in journalism school, you should know about how vital it is to keep the anonymity of sources.

3 Likes

Sami Zayn is the best thing going in wrestling right now.

I could be wrong by the way I read it was CM punk was pissed at certain people, I imagine SRS and Bryan Alverez, over them reporting facts from their friends - the elite - and not calling him to check the story etc.

I think his point was that they tend to report things from their friends(if you read some of these reporters you know they are friends with the elite because they’re always talking about how great they are and they have them on their shows etc ) So I guess he was saying it compromises journalistic integrity if you’re just taking your friends at face value and their side of the story without fact checking.

I fully admit I have no knowledge of journalism beyond a rudimentary one, but I would think that they do try and fact check but it may be pretty difficult to reach a guy like CM punk who I don’t see responding to every text message or email he gets. So I think he’s being a little hypocritical blaming them for that when he is moody himself and doesn’t try to clarify things.

1 Like

Lol

This is a fucking horrendous work. I can barely follow it at this point.

Hey man, I was just enjoying myself LIVE last night. I found out all about this when I got out of the arena and arrived home like a half hour later. It hurts that THIS was a hell of a card, it was a magical experience live and a lot are talking about this more than the actual event.

2 Likes

Exactly why I don’t think it’s a work. Nobody gives a shit about the angles, the matches etc. all anyone is talking about is Punks comments. Not what you want coming out of the biggest show of the year.

2 Likes

I thought the acclaimed match was brilliant. It made them look so good that I almost wonder if there should have been an audible for the title change.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t know.

MJF’s situation turned into 10K Chicago fans cheering him over Punk last night at the end of his latest World Championship win and made MJF feel like a mega star.

Less than a month ago, stories of chaos backstage lead to the three week build for Moxley vs. Punk that had people very invested by showtime.

And coming off of Punk’s comments at the scrum, Hangman, Omega and the Bucks all seem like people are ready to go to battle for them defending them.

I’m not sure where this leads. But an AEW Civil War storyline certainly seems where this could go. And it’s been brewing for a year.

First Kingston spoke out about Punk. Nobody listened.
Then MJF spoke out about Punk. Nobody listened.
Then Hangman spoke out about Punk. Nobody listened.

Now Punk is speaking and revealing what everybody warned people about - and now everyone is listening.

As a promotion, AEW has managed to deliver payoffs to nearly everything they have promised. They’ve done things in a very unconventional manner. Again, I fully believe this is a continuation of that. I don’t hold it against anyone for believing this is all legit. And I am certainly questioning things. But look how they played out the MJF angle. The same boxes are being checked.

1 Like

Anyways…

It is really weird to me when people say things about not liking this kind of stuff or that it overshadows the matches on the show and whatever. Lets be honest here, if this stuff was not going on, the discussion about the event would be over. We wouldnt be talking about the matches on the show. This gives us something to talk about and speculate over and that is always fun. If it upsets you too much, put in some Sesame Street DVD’s or something.

1 Like

In other AEW news…no Being The Elite posted so far. I think they usually have that up by noon and are pretty consistent.